Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gt3 or Carrera T as a daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 03:44 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

More fun than a T - cheaper than a Touring. . . .and won't get killed in value. 10 year old Mezger isn't a problem - things are known for being bulltproof.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:16 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
i wouldn't consider a 9 year old car for a DD. This may be a lot of fun and a great car - but not for DD duties. More of a weekend, canyon, carving etc car.. Fun when you wring it out - otherwise not so much. Lacks any modern stuff that make a DD more useful (to me - i will add).

I'd vote for a T. You can do a couple minor mods to increase power and sound and then its pretty fun and versatile for a daily.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:41 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,192 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Avalon911
I love my Touring, but as a daily driver, I prefer my GTS (or any other "regular" 911) six out of seven days a week. Personal preference.
Me too.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:04 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,267 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
More fun than a T - cheaper than a Touring. . . .and won't get killed in value. 10 year old Mezger isn't a problem - things are known for being bulltproof.
im just not interested in an old car as a daily.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:01 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I tagged a raccoon yesterday on the way home from work late. No way to avoid it. Thankfully I was in my pickup so it was a non-issue for me (raccoon, I am not so sure). The thought of a $6k plus paint match PTS GT3 bumper makes it tough to daily my touring. With a T (or normal 991 or my 993 for that matter) I would get a RUF bumper as a replacement and feel ok about the situation.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:50 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 389 Posts

Sam, I say get the T if you are using as a daily. I am buying a new 992 Base Carrera with PDK for my daily. Should be here the first of February. $113k sticker. Don't need a GT car for the roads. Overkill.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:57 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joejenie
Sam, I say get the T if you are using as a daily. I am buying a new 992 Base Carrera with PDK for my daily. Should be here the first of February. $113k sticker. Don't need a GT car for the roads. Overkill.
thats what I’m leaning towards Joe.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:08 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Update. Test drove the 992 carrera. For 150k I was seriously underwhelmed. The car felt heavy and I just didn’t connect with it. The interior is fantastic but I decided to rule it out. This was a pdk. Manuals coming out next spring.

Also drove a manual base carrera- a 2018. while its not a carrera T, it was as close to the experience I could replicate on a T. This was more engaging. More fun. But as some people stated, the power was a bit underwhelming. I think it would be fine for a daily but I went to the dealership in my 720 and after driving that for 30 minutes the carrera had no chance in terms of replicating power.

on the way home- I stopped by another dealership and drove the AMG GTR- holy crap!!! I fell
in love. The car is amazing!! I mean I haven’t been this excited about a car in a long time. Price is similar to a base 992 Carrera but you get so much more. The engine, the sound, how much you feel engaged to the car- it was just epic!

That at will be the next daily driver. Am doing a bit of homework on the car but should have one in my garage in the next few weeks. I’m in absolute love and you can fit golf clubs in the back!!!

totally blown away unexpectedly by this car.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:40 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Update. Test drove the 992 carrera. For 150k I was seriously underwhelmed. The car felt heavy and I just didn’t connect with it. The interior is fantastic but I decided to rule it out. This was a pdk. Manuals coming out next spring.

Also drove a manual base carrera- a 2018. while its not a carrera T, it was as close to the experience I could replicate on a T. This was more engaging. More fun. But as some people stated, the power was a bit underwhelming. I think it would be fine for a daily but I went to the dealership in my 720 and after driving that for 30 minutes the carrera had no chance in terms of replicating power.

on the way home- I stopped by another dealership and drove the AMG GTR- holy crap!!! I fell
in love. The car is amazing!! I mean I haven’t been this excited about a car in a long time. Price is similar to a base 992 Carrera but you get so much more. The engine, the sound, how much you feel engaged to the car- it was just epic!

That at will be the next daily driver. Am doing a bit of homework on the car but should have one in my garage in the next few weeks. I’m in absolute love and you can fit golf clubs in the back!!!

You will love the AMG GTR as a daily. I have one and it’s phenomenal. I just sold my 991.2GT3 manual and picked up a 2020 R8 V10 performance. The engine is incredible, another great daily driver.

Get the GTR and see if they can get you on the list for the upcoming Black series. Mercedes is taking names to get one after Project One owners.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:00 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fastmd
You will love the AMG GTR as a daily. I have one and it’s phenomenal. I just sold my 991.2GT3 manual and picked up a 2020 R8 V10 performance. The engine is incredible, another great daily driver.

Get the GTR and see if they can get you on the list for the upcoming Black series. Mercedes is taking names to get one after Project One owners.
will definitely get the GTR. Appreciate the feedback! The car was a blast and exceeded all my expectations. The 992 Carrera S was anemic in comparison. GT3? Not sure. Both great cars but different characteristics. I’d say the GTR and the RS are better comparisons.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:16 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

AMG GT R (Pro) is a long, long, long way from a T - were you happy with the sight lines and visibility?
Old 11-30-2019, 08:20 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
AMG GT R (Pro) is a long, long, long way from a T - were you happy with the sight lines and visibility?
perfectly happy. This car wasn’t even on my radar. But I drove it and was just wow! Fell in love. I used to own an SLS back in the day so it’s somewhat nostalgic but better. It’s comfortable, has the proper rawness to it while maintaining some civility. Just a blast to drive.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:34 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

Yep GT R is pretty dialled in - it will be a blast, noticed you have a 720S too😀 good collection. The 720s is a ripper - went mantis with mine 😀
Old 11-30-2019, 09:03 PM
737Drvr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm late to the party here but I completely agree with what you have said. I drove the Carrera T and, although its a fine car, it left me wanting for power. I also didn't like the fact that the dash and door panels were the cheap Porsche plastic...but that's me. Call me spoiled, but at that price point I want the nice leather. The 992 does little for me, especially at 150 large. Too many other options in that price range. R8, GTR, GT3, etc.

I don't think I've heard a bad comment about the GTR. All owners seem to love them as DD. I was looking into one as well. Still like them--the engine is awesome. I think for a daily its a better choice than any GT Porsche. It's unique looking enough, is a blast to drive (as you said), is more comfortable, and has more room in the trunk. The GTR is what it says. It's a true Grand Touring car with a Jekyl/Hyde personality. Good luck in your hunt...that's almost half the fun isn't it?! Look forward to hearing more driving impressions.

PS - The R8 might be worth a look if they do anything for you. That V10, more room than a Huracan, and a widely praised DD. Just my .02.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:06 AM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye

i was driving my gtr pro as a daily for a week, it was terrible for me. I ended up selling it and looking at 812/gt2rs. Lot of looks and performance is fine, but wasn’t ideal for me. I went back to a Range Rover svr.

Quick Reply: Gt3 or Carrera T as a daily driver