Do you have a real job?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 08:09 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,498 Likes on 2,276 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Mooty....I've always wondered what you do for work...aside from Porsches, Cycling and Food.....do share if you don't mind.
architect
private banker
RE, equity fund
life coach
retired
now I make latte and trying to get a job at 4tilfour cafe in AZ (they are hiring)

yes, I had many careers bc I sucked in all ha..
but I am good at eating fine food
Old 02-19-2021, 08:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,498 Likes on 2,276 Posts

Originally Posted by k1wi
" never forget your values and the people that care about you" that is so true. Moved to the US when I was 13. Didn't speak any English and somehow came to this day. Lately working with COVID, I've been reflecting on how important people around me are.
Also, this forum is very much different than the BMW forum (wanted an E92 m3 since I was in highschool but now moved onto Porsche). While BMW forum is active and energetic, this forum seems filled with gentlemen.
bmw are for kids. I know b/c I was one.

Originally Posted by sdm100
Older doctors who cared about patients, were independent minded and ran there own businesses could do well and afford their toys. Unfortunately now it’s all corporate have patient quotas, less time for patients hell some don’t even touch the patients and do a physical exam. That dealing with insurance and Obamacare will drastically reduce physician income. I still love the profession but not the system. COVID will push many docs who considered retiring out the door. Now we will be able to enjoy our Porsche . Good lunch to the patients
wife, MD, says the same....
The following 2 users liked this post by mooty:
AlexCeres (02-20-2021), DocMo (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 11:09 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 552 Posts

Seems like many doctors/ business owners here. I can only imagine how hard they have worked to come to this far in life. My wife and I are regular job people.
Wife 23yr - Mechanical Engineer in gov. Wanting to be in management next year
Me 26yr - ICU Nurse - seems like there is more to life than just passing gas for career wise. (Realizing after working with COVID)
Hope to own a 981 GT4 or 997 GT3.
Just bought a home in a nice area (hopefully appreciates) and no student loan.
It's just a dream right now but I think I could turn that dream into a realistic dream in about 3 years.
Will update in 3 years lol.
I think this is a good way to go. You seem to have a good perspective. Buy the house and eliminate debt and then play. I'd say a GT4 is a good goal.

I bought my first 911 when 28 - was driving my Honda past a Porsche dealership and saw a red 911 there - stopped to look at it and 3 hours later I had sold my Honda and bought (financed a 911). Oh to be young and single again. However, there's always a balance between buying a great car and putting the $$ to work. Years later and have added wife, kids and I have become a bit more conservative where i view toys as something to be paid for with cash and after 529 plan for kids who are close to college (college at $60K per year each) and private school and wife and now two houses and retirement are fully funded - you get the picture. Having typed this i wonder if i am too conservative. I did the Lambo thing for 2 years - was fun. Now I miss it but dont have garage space or time (or some other excuse). Anyway, find your balance of YOLO and being able to sleep at night. I think there are some starter Porsche's like the 997.2 series that are great cars (had one) and pretty reliable. I feel the really old stuff is fun but they break all the time and sometimes the nostalgia is better than the experience. I bought a 993 3 years ago and after a year was like why did i do this. It was fun (TBH less fun than i thought it would be - having owned some older stuff in the day) but found i only drove it maybe 1500 miles in a year. It was cherry 26K miles (or thereabouts) but still a 24 year old car needs $$ to maintain and stuff broke. Sold it for a loss - move on - now they are going up again during Covid (of course). Now 964's are the in thing. I'd avoid all the older an start at 997. I think the .2 became more bullet proof and a good jump in power. I liked that car. Although .1's 2006 and on maybe safer and fun too. good luck.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:34 PM
Agentorange
Pro

Received 551 Likes on 226 Posts

LOL If my wife was okay with me doing travel nursing for COVID ICU, I could go out and buy this GT4 this year.. but sadly she's not letting me leave, not even to downtown Detroit where I am 35 min away as she sees it "dangerous"...
My wife works in the OR and just did a travel assignment in LA. They put her with covid patients once they got desperate and doubled her pay.
As an ICU nurse you could make a killing right now. But it is stressful. She finished her LA contract and we got the hell out. Now she’s in Santa Fe NM at an ortho surgery center, way less stress then covid care
Old 02-21-2021, 12:40 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

Mostly post on the Cup Car and CGT forums, but have been surfing this one as I'm considering a GT3RS. This is a fascinating thread. As for me, came to L.A. as a struggling musician, living in my car, playing gigs. Eventually started buying and selling music gear when I landed an apartment. Jazz dreams did not work out, but most everything else did. Best memories of help along the way: Bank teller who would cash my $25 gig checks when I had no money in my account, so I could eat and put gas in my car. Later on: Manufactures who believed in me and shipped me gear on credit so I could sell it and pay them back. Best part of life is the journey.
The following users liked this post:
NBoost (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 03:48 AM
tqevo
Pro

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

I do agree that 75K could go into a good investing where it'll benefit me in 20 years... However, I wanted to ask, you probably have 0 regret on buying the GT car as your first P car though, right?
If I were you I’d do it assuming you don’t share finances with your wife. But you’d likely get tired of the gt4 within a few years. Not enough power and gears too long
personal story first 911 at age 24, gt3 at 27, rs at 31. What is a real job anyway
Old 02-21-2021, 04:17 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 185 Posts

Job? I don't need no stinking job. I'm here because I love people, Porsche's, and a good car story.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:55 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Saw a few posts in this 991 GT3 RS R section which made me laugh, raising the question of whether anyone around here who posts regularly has a real job. That got me thinking: how do people manage to spend so much time around here while being able to afford these cars?
I'll start. For many years, I've owned a 'small' business, which gives me some schedule flexibility, and dipping into RL a couple times a day is a nice temporary diversion from working and other responsibilities.
I imagine some people around here must have inherited money, but I couldn't even guess at the percentage.
Love this thread and the diversity of the profiles who replied.

I was in consulting for 30+years, with a Firm that I shall not name.
As a consultant, I advised the top management of Lancia-Autobianchi, SEAT, Mercedes-Benz and Porsche. Plus lots of other companies in other industries.
Owned several Lancia Delta Integrale and quite a few Mercedes AMG, and when I worked for Porsche (late nineties) I bought my first 911: a 993 Turbo S, direct from the importer.
Then a 991.2 Turbo S and now a 992 Turbo S.

One of the most memorable encounters in my life was when I was 23, "tutoring" senior executives in a well known B-School.
One week, one of the "senior executives" I had in front of me for a few sessions was Michael Collins (Apollo XI), 19 years older than me.
I remember vividly our discussions of his experience and how it was to fly to the moon with so little on-board computer power: in those days, real computer power was in huge machines, PCs did not exist and the most sophisticated hand-held calculator was the HP-80 financial!

Since then, I've done interesting things, and met quite a few fascinating people.....
..... but nothing close to what I experienced during those hours with Michael Collins.

Last edited by Joan Alcover; 02-21-2021 at 05:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joan Alcover:
Manifold (02-21-2021), Ufnavy06 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-21-2021, 05:35 AM
k1wi
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by tqevo
If I were you I’d do it assuming you don’t share finances with your wife. But you’d likely get tired of the gt4 within a few years. Not enough power and gears too long
personal story first 911 at age 24, gt3 at 27, rs at 31. What is a real job anyway
Really hope that's not the case with getting tired of the GT4. I am not the person to crave the most power from cars. I work 3 days in a row and have 6 days off then 3 on again, I just like to enjoy morning drives, cars and coffee with my wife, nothing too special but just the car has to be special to me.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:23 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,550 Likes on 954 Posts

Really hope that's not the case with getting tired of the GT4. I am not the person to crave the most power from cars. I work 3 days in a row and have 6 days off then 3 on again, I just like to enjoy morning drives, cars and coffee with my wife, nothing too special but just the car has to be special to me.
you can sample all the flavors at PEC LA or Atlanta and decide for yourself. They’re different kinds of fun. some people have feels that one kind of fun is better than another. But more power than a gt4 is pretty useless on a public street.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:32 AM
ddugas01

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Consulting pays the bills. Pension pays for the car.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:27 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 83 Posts

Best advice I ever got: “You’ll never make any real money working for someone else.”
The following 3 users liked this post by Norsk:
Manhattan_trout (06-14-2021), rhk118 (02-22-2021), smceo (06-15-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 01:16 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Norsk
Best advice I ever got: “You’ll never make any real money working for someone else.”
Define real money?
Old 02-21-2021, 01:54 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 83 Posts

I guess for me now it means multi-generational wealth. My kids are fixed for their lifetimes. As a young man who milked cows for $64 a week, I can’t believe I’m saying that - - -
The following 3 users liked this post by Norsk:
AlexCeres (02-21-2021), Manhattan_trout (06-14-2021), paddlefoot64 (02-22-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 05:15 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 235 Posts

Don't stress about it. While many complain about the power and gearing, and these may be real nit picks, they are nit picks. The GT4 is a sublime package, and for the right owner, it is perfect. I have owned mine since new for 5 years now and love it.

I have a real job, but along with working hard and being smart, I have been lucky in my career. I am an engineer running product development for a Fortune 500 company. My "real money" was made with equity portion of my compensation. The company has done well and it was a pleasure to be part of that growth. I am a frugal saver. I waited to buy my GT4 until I was in my 40's, with my kids college fully funded, a nice house, and my retirement saving in a strong position.

All that being said, I must admit I am doing a 4.5L conversion with shorter gears but that is not to fault the GT4 in any way. It is because I love the car, it is a keeper, this will make it only better, and it fits in my frugal minded budget...
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (02-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Do you have a real job?