Sponsored by:

GT3 vs 488

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 08:25 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye

i cant tell you how many people in a Camaro or a mustang pull up next to me revving their engine trying to race. Had a dude in a Tesla that pulled up next to me at a light wanting to race.

i will never ever engage these people. I don’t drive my car like a minivan but if there is a police and they see two cars racing, the guy in the Ferrari is going to jail.

i have nothing to prove and I don’t care how many mods you have on your car. I will not engage these people on the freeway or on the streets.

this is one of the bad things about owning a ferrari
First off, the "driving dangerously around me" comment almost made my eyes cramp from rolling them so hard. Also, I am not talking about some lame *ock-measuring, throttle-stomping contest from a light. I am talking about rolling up behind a guy in a car designed to go quickly on twisty roads, and, apparently you grumpy folks, who might as well be in a 10hp leather cocoon, talking about "I'll enjoy my car at my pace".

It's a free country, it's your money, and you can do what you like- but that doesn't make your driving or attitude any less lame. They make cars for that kind of driving- go buy a drop-top Rolls or a Bently. Watching people drive like this is like watching someone with a physical handicap use a wrench to hammer something.

It is natural for a happy person out enjoying their car on the mountain roads to perk up and assume they have found a like-minded individual who will enjoy an enthusiastic run in the hills. Your bitter comments are definitely reflective of the people I run across though.

I'm not saying you have to drive fast all the time, and I wouldn't normally be engaged with such negative people as those commenting, except that I read all your complaints as "My attention-getting fast car gets too much attention, and shouldn't be driven fast." This type of thought process leads me to discount you and your opinions as ridiculous, but I think that is just the frustration of dealing with people who are so insistent in being somehow "outraged" and "offended". But I guess the lesson to me is, miserable people are always miserable, no matter how much you want to have fun w them.

Next time you see a red GT3 tailgating you in the twisties, know that I don't care at ALL about trying to prove my worth compared to your precious F-car, or Lamb, or McLaren 1357365456234c, but it would be nice if you would come out to play.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:49 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,266 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack
First off, the "driving dangerously around me" comment almost made my eyes cramp from rolling them so hard. Also, I am not talking about some lame *ock-measuring, throttle-stomping contest from a light. I am talking about rolling up behind a guy in a car designed to go quickly on twisty roads, and, apparently you grumpy folks, who might as well be in a 10hp leather cocoon, talking about "I'll enjoy my car at my pace".

It's a free country, it's your money, and you can do what you like- but that doesn't make your driving or attitude any less lame. They make cars for that kind of driving- go buy a drop-top Rolls or a Bently. Watching people drive like this is like watching someone with a physical handicap use a wrench to hammer something.

It is natural for a happy person out enjoying their car on the mountain roads to perk up and assume they have found a like-minded individual who will enjoy an enthusiastic run in the hills. Your bitter comments are definitely reflective of the people I run across though.

I'm not saying you have to drive fast all the time, and I wouldn't normally be engaged with such negative people as those commenting, except that I read all your complaints as "My attention-getting fast car gets too much attention, and shouldn't be driven fast." This type of thought process leads me to discount you and your opinions as ridiculous, but I think that is just the frustration of dealing with people who are so insistent in being somehow "outraged" and "offended". But I guess the lesson to me is, miserable people are always miserable, no matter how much you want to have fun w them.

Next time you see a red GT3 tailgating you in the twisties, know that I don't care at ALL about trying to prove my worth compared to your precious F-car, or Lamb, or McLaren 1357365456234c, but it would be nice if you would come out to play.

is there a full moon out tonight? Where in the world are you extrapolating what you wrote feom
my post? I drive my cars hard.

I had this big long response typed out but I deleted it. I thought dealing 0-60 was bad enough. Now you. Seesh.

congrats on your GT3. I hope you enjoy it in good health.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:03 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

I took delivery of a new 2018 GT3 and a 2018 488 within 2 days of each other. Talk about coincidence, both were ALSO ordered within 2 days of each other...go figure!

I agree with the 488 being brutally fast...to the point of dangerous. The feeling of stomach lift when accelerating is hard to describe. It is a bit showy and for that, the GT3 is a bit more tame. My GT3 is a manual so it gives me a totally different experience in that itself. I do feel that I can really throw the GT3 around and still remain relatively safe. With my 488, I feel that I have to really respect it's brute power and that if I'm not careful, it may kill me instantly. That said, I know some of this is psychological as the 488's Side slip control is just industry-standard-awesome. Also, the Italian leather smell, stitching, etc. do give me a more special feeling when driving the 488. In the end, the cars are so totally different that they're hard to compare against each other. For that, one won't feel the sense that they have two similar sports cars and two similar driving experiences. If you can swing it, buy them both...
Old 08-13-2018, 09:04 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 774 Likes on 357 Posts

I’ve been studiously ignored in my 488 spider around here.

I judge a car by how engaging it is at 5/10ths on a winding road at 40 mph. With the odd safe full throttle pull through 1 to 3.

winners

981 Boxster Spyder
458 spider
488 spider
CGT

A .1 gt3 and RS lose at this. I’m hoping a manual .2 gt3 medals.

After reading Motorwerks comments, two things

1 I’ve never smelt anything as wondrous as the 488 spider. Scrumptious and without equal

2. You really have to reset your expectations for acceleration. The thing is brutal but not accompanied with the ‘chainsaw through chain link fence’ melody of the 458.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:28 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack

Lol really? Dude go to the track...

In this regard I'm with Yippie. In SoCal get a lot of people wanting to race/mash the throttle when I'm driving my GT3. Up the PCH, at a stoplight, etc. Not doing that, I owe them/you nothing and you are always more than welcome to pass me alone on ACH or Malibu canyons at 6am, different story

Not sure why everyone is ganging up on Yippie, if I was interested in an F car he seems to have a lot of experience and is just telling it like it is.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:19 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

What limited experience I have in fcars, I'd agree they are more fun to drive at lower speeds/rpms and less exciting at the extreme/redline vs a p-GT.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:34 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino

In this regard I'm with Yippie. In SoCal get a lot of people wanting to race/mash the throttle when I'm driving my GT3. Up the PCH, at a stoplight, etc. Not doing that, I owe them/you nothing and you are always more than welcome to pass me alone on ACH or Malibu canyons at 6am, different story

Not sure why everyone is ganging up on Yippie, if I was interested in an F car he seems to have a lot of experience and is just telling it like it is.
+1 I don't engage in these situations, definitely no stoplight to stoplight garbage. I pick my spots a lot more carefully the older I get, cat and mouse stuff is only on empty or nearly empty roads with a "mature" participant.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:59 PM
Keawn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, I know how to drive and the only time I drive hard is at the race track. Tracked my car quite a few times along with my older Porsches. I have so many drivers who want to race me from a stop light or the canyons and I let them go by. Learned the hard way when I was a passenger in car accident going off the cliff. I don't care how good of driver you are anything can happen, save it for the track.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:40 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

is there a full moon out tonight? Where in the world are you extrapolating what you wrote feom
my post? I drive my cars hard.

I had this big long response typed out but I deleted it. I thought dealing 0-60 was bad enough. Now you. Seesh.

congrats on your GT3. I hope you enjoy it in good health.

Originally Posted by Keawn
I agree, I know how to drive and the only time I drive hard is at the race track. Tracked my car quite a few times along with my older Porsches. I have so many drivers who want to race me from a stop light or the canyons and I let them go by. Learned the hard way when I was a passenger in car accident going off the cliff. I don't care how good of driver you are anything can happen, save it for the track.

It's unwise and unsafe to engage with some yahoo on the street in traffic who has a lot less to lose and feels he has something to prove behind the steering wheel.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:20 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer
It's unwise and unsafe to engage with some yahoo on the street in traffic who has a lot less to lose and feels he has something to prove behind the steering wheel.
Yep. The way i see it if i have a little go against some guy in a Subaru, and he loses it and crashes, i am responsible for whatever bad stuff happens. I don’t even know this guy, and yet i am putting my future and my family’s future in his hands? Not to mention he is probably trying harder (i.e. taking more risks) because he is up against a fancy 911.

No thank you. Besides, fast cars look cool going slow on the street.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:41 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,266 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

Yep. The way i see it if i have a little go against some guy in a Subaru, and he loses it and crashes, i am responsible for whatever bad stuff happens. I don’t even know this guy, and yet i am putting my future and my family’s future in his hands? Not to mention he is probably trying harder (i.e. taking more risks) because he is up against a fancy 911.

No thank you. Besides, fast cars look cool going slow on the street.
looks like we are all driving like grandpas when some dude in a car comes looking for a racing buddy. No thank you as I stated. For someone above to be so offended by this stance is mind boggling to me. You are right Rob- dude has something to prove so they are definitely going to try harder. Not with me. Not in my Porsche. Not in my Ferrari.

Likely its this guys first "real car" and he has to show the world how good of a driver he is. Take it to the track.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:57 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

looks like we are all driving like grandpas when some dude in a car comes looking for a racing buddy. No thank you as I stated. For someone above to be so offended by this stance is mind boggling to me. You are right Rob- dude has something to prove so they are definitely going to try harder. Not with me. Not in my Porsche. Not in my Ferrari.

Likely its this guys first "real car" and he has to show the world how good of a driver he is. Take it to the track.
Exactly. All risk. No reward.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:21 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 535 Posts

Track ONLY for excessive speeds past the limits of the street...........street racing or speeding is for tickets only and worse...........remember Paul Walker's fateful unlucky ride......we all realize adjusting our ill advised driving speeds the first time we track our cars and keep it there..........
Old 08-16-2018, 06:02 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

For those that own a 488 - is the front lift necessary? The car seems higher in front than new GT3.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:22 PM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
For those that own a 488 - is the front lift necessary? The car seems higher in front than new GT3.
I feel like it is a must where I live.

Quick Reply: GT3 vs 488