Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 vs 488

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 10:27 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

I own both and agree with what is said here. I really have not had any negative response to my Ferrari. My 488 cost twice what my GT3 did. If I could only have one it would be the 488.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:44 PM
gonefishin'
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benny386
How did they compare drive wise - sound, handling, general performance, driver engagement?
If you had to choose one as your weekend car, which would you take?
Was there anything that stood out in either car, good or bad?
Are you the same "Benny" on FChat who's been trying to flip his allocations for past 10 years? If not, my apologies but if you're a flipper then be honest about it.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/thr...-spider.579500
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/thr...488-gtb.570214
www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/488gtb.517822
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/thr...-spider.376978
Old 08-12-2018, 01:01 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

I have a 458, GT3 (trading for RS) and GT4
Sound and looks definitely go to 458 (straight pipes from cats) IMO, but it does get a lot of attention.
hard to beat 9K NA sound in either of the cars (I assume 488 won't sound nearly as good)!
Old 08-12-2018, 01:11 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Get the car you can afford to put 5-10k miles on.
If you are worried about cost, the 488 will cause you more anxiety.

If you can afford to put miles on a 488...then you can probably afford a CPO GT3/GT4 as a daily
Old 08-12-2018, 01:18 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

High bay garage, so nice
Big envy....

BTW, Next time you need a new opener, consider the Liftmaster elite 8500 series - the only one on the market with a track deadbolt for extra security
https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes...ies/model-8500
Originally Posted by RSRRacer
I can tell you that of the three you see here, the one I'll have when I'm a much older man is the oldest and slowest!

My opinion if you can afford the 488 and if you never plan to track the car, get that. I'm assuming you don't have to have a manual box or else you wouldn't be considering a 488.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:33 PM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gonefishin'
Are you the same "Benny" on FChat who's been trying to flip his allocations for past 10 years? If not, my apologies but if you're a flipper then be honest about it.

LOL. Amazing! Don’t mess with FChat!
Old 08-12-2018, 01:41 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Napoli
Had both. Still have the 488. Whereas I had much more time in the seat of my GT3, I got to know it better and know what to expect from it more than my current 488, which I am still exploring. Performance driving, the GT3 became like breathing. Natural and confidence inspiring.

Prefer the 488 engine note over the GT3 note. So many tones, textures, growls and burbles (vaccum hoses plugged) from the 488. Aurally, way more dynamic. Deeper tone. Good note at low RPM and low speed, and always ready to escalate.

Handling, still feeling out the 488, but it seems sharper and exhibits far less body roll. Flatter and more precise. Quick, light steering.

Acceleration and torque - at any RPM - 488 kills. Scary fast. Regular moments of weightlessness.

Much prefer the 488 looks, but it gets too much attention, even being silver (like my GT3). Most curious people respect the 488 and keep distance, but park the 488 anywhere there is even light to moderate foot traffic and it may very well get touched by males of any age. I say this from experience. Drive fast and tailgaters with something to prove will regularly appear. Drive speed limit or slowly, same result. GT3 not immune to any of this either, though.
I may be one of those, though I wouldn’t say I have something to prove... But I do get excited when I see someone in a fast car, and hope to find a driving buddy. Unfortunately, I’ve never once ran across a “fast” car in the wild that wanted to go for a fun, quick run.

Its highly disappointing. So, from a guy that “has something to prove”, I hate it when you run across some lame in a Ferrari/Mclaren/ Lamborghini that drives it like it’s a f***ing faberge egg, or worse- a minivan.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:42 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

LOL. Amazing! Don’t mess with FChat!
How tough are they?
You can be banned for rumour...

I am under a 3 month FerrariChat ban because I went to Italy for the 50th anniv Celebration, found where they are making repro pouches and owner's books then posted to tell everyone where to get them from the source at a discount price. I was not selling anything, just relaying a production factory tour I took and had asked before taking any photos or making Fchat postings.

Porsche fully supports the vintage guys with correct vintage owner's manuals, etc - not all car companies do
Old 08-12-2018, 01:52 PM
orthodoc911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
How tough are they?...
Suffice to say that top down pressure from corporate led to your situation on FChat. Everybody has their allegiances and certaily Rob didn't have to worry too much when he founded it in 2000. Fast forward 18 years and with the Motorsport.com affiliation it probably means stricter rules...

Yeah, I miss the old days like many others...
Old 08-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Napoli
Racer

Originally Posted by Perimeter
How tough are they?
You can be banned for rumour...

I am under a 3 month FerrariChat ban because I went to Italy for the 50th anniv Celebration, found where they are making repro pouches and owner's books then posted to tell everyone where to get them from the source at a discount price. I was not selling anything, just relaying a production factory tour I took and had asked before taking any photos or making Fchat postings.

Porsche fully supports the vintage guys with correct vintage owner's manuals, etc - not all car companies do
It wasn’t the mods, it was members quickly exposing a guy perpetrating a fraud.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:11 PM
Napoli
Racer

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack

I may be one of those, though I wouldn’t say I have something to prove... But I do get excited when I see someone in a fast car, and hope to find a driving buddy. Unfortunately, I’ve never once ran across a “fast” car in the wild that wanted to go for a fun, quick run.

Its highly disappointing. So, from a guy that “has something to prove”, I hate it when you run across some lame in a Ferrari/Mclaren/ Lamborghini that drives it like it’s a f***ing faberge egg, or worse- a minivan.
I have zero interest in engaging someone driving dangerously around me. No offense, but I’m there for the pleasure of the road. I’ll go it alone at the speed I choose.

Forums like this and Cars ‘n coffee are better (safer) places to find driving buddies
Old 08-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Spend A Buck
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wasn’t the mods, it was members quickly exposing a guy perpetrating a fraud.
Forums like this and Cars ‘n coffee are better (safer) places to find driving buddies
Exactly!
Old 08-12-2018, 02:57 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gonefishin'

Maybe OP's silence means this is him....I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. So, no judgment yet. But, if this the one and same as Fchat, then the questions posed in this thread have an ulterior motive....hope not

Old 08-12-2018, 03:06 PM
Spend A Buck
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911therapy
ulterior motive
It's just past 4 AM in Australia where the OP is (according to his profile). If it's the same person then shame on him for trying to pull a fast one on this community as well as the other one.

There are plenty of honest flipper out there. We call them dealers.

The following users liked this post:
benny386 (07-17-2022)
Old 08-12-2018, 03:15 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,266 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack

i cant tell you how many people in a Camaro or a mustang pull up next to me revving their engine trying to race. Had a dude in a Tesla that pulled up next to me at a light wanting to race.

i will never ever engage these people. I don’t drive my car like a minivan but if there is a police and they see two cars racing, the guy in the Ferrari is going to jail.

i have nothing to prove and I don’t care how many mods you have on your car. I will not engage these people on the freeway or on the streets.

this is one of the bad things about owning a ferrari

Quick Reply: GT3 vs 488