Sponsored by:

Orthojoe .2 GT3 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 08:08 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
If it's like the GT4, then the dealer can program the shift light thing to appear if they know what they're doing. But is it really that useful down in the dash?
Hmmm.... good point. I don't know. The indicator is large, but I don't know how visible it will be. I guess the new solo 2 DL would be useful since it has a shift light built into the system....
Old 05-02-2018, 09:41 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks, man. I have videos of my races posted on my YouTube channel. It's been super fun. I've managed to podium 5 out of 8 races and have one checkered flag so far. The addiction is real. Lol!

Will you be at the majors event at Sonoma in June?
Yes, I've tested there a couple of times this year to prepare for the runoffs. I thought I subscribed to your channel so I will need to check it out. Congrats on the great success so far! We will have to get together at the Major.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:38 AM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

[QUOTE=orthojoe;14981523]Well, I finally got around to taking the new car out to it's first track day. I left the car completely factory bone stock. Stock brake pads, stock alignment, stock sway bar settings. Stock everything.

Joe, I'm really surprised you didn't have any issues with the brake pads. In my prior 991s the pads would melt within a few 20 minute sessions. Maybe I'm just hard on my brakes or is the cooling that good on the GT3.2?

I changed out to PFC11's before a track day at VIR. With the PFC11's I had to use a lot of brake pressure but braking was very linear. I'm sure with some AP rotors the initial bite will improve. Great write up and video, so little shared info to date as track season is just starting around here.

Mark
Old 05-03-2018, 11:18 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Mr. Turtles,

At VIR I ran out of all brakes after enough flyers.
No such braking track in CA.

My oem pads were OK at the Ring, I was learning while breaking in the car.
But forget it at hard, hard braking tracks.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:21 AM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Thanks Peter, lot's of hard braking tracks in the Northeast.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:30 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles

Joe, I'm really surprised you didn't have any issues with the brake pads. In my prior 991s the pads would melt within a few 20 minute sessions. Maybe I'm just hard on my brakes or is the cooling that good on the GT3.2?

I changed out to PFC11's before a track day at VIR. With the PFC11's I had to use a lot of brake pressure but braking was very linear. I'm sure with some AP rotors the initial bite will improve. Great write up and video, so little shared info to date as track season is just starting around here.

Mark
The brake pads on a 991S are not the same as the pads used on GT3. The larger brakes and cooling will help too. That being said, Thunderhill is not the very hard on the brakes at all.

I will be installing these bad boys this weekend

Old 05-03-2018, 11:36 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Mr. Turtles look like a GT3, but maybe 911's VS 911 S..

AP Calipers, traight to overkill
I like it!
Old 05-03-2018, 11:36 AM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Sweet, very nice. You are going all in. I hadn't considered changing the calipers. Are you just trying to save the stock one's (future sale) or is there that much improvement with the AP calipers?

Thanks for the information, really appreciate hearing everyone's experiences, to me its the best way to learn.

(Peter, I am currently tracking a GT3.2 - I know the avatar is a GT3.1 but I haven't found a picture of one bouncing off the curbing...Turtles...yet )
Old 05-03-2018, 11:47 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
Sweet, very nice. You are going all in. I hadn't considered changing the calipers. Are you just trying to save the stock one's (future sale) or is there that much improvement with the AP calipers?

Thanks for the information, really appreciate hearing everyone's experiences, to me its the best way to learn.

(Peter, I am currently tracking a GT3.2 - I know the avatar is a GT3.1 but I haven't found a picture of one bouncing off the curbing...Turtles...yet )
1). Saving the stock brakes for resale
2). Super easy pad changes
3). Really don't like that there is always some stressing of the stock hard lines when doing a pad change
4). Don't have to worry about cracking pucks
5). I can swap onto my RS when it arrives end of the year

As far as improvement goes, there is only one way to find out!
Old 05-03-2018, 12:45 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

3). Really don't like that there is always some stressing of the stock hard lines when doing a pad change

Spent the this past weekend at Barber with Alabama Region. Danny Crabtree, my customer, from Little Rock was the first to install these Essex AP BBKs on his 991.2 GT3 and he was in attendance at Barber. He had nothing but good things to say about there performance. He was very clear to point out that these brakes were superior to the stock Brembo stuff. Not to mention the big weight reduction. These babies weigh just 1.5#s per corner more than PCCB and the rotors don't cost $24000 to replace..
For those of you that have questions etc. Feel free to give me a call. WE are a Motorsports Partner of Essex Parts and are very active selling their BBKs.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 05-03-2018, 01:34 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Joe thanks for your complete summarization of why switching to this system is a win win. In addition VS OEM You save 7.4# per corner in the front and 9.1# per corner in the rear a total unsprung weight savings of 33#.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:41 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark-ApexPerformance
Joe thanks for your complete summarization of why switching to this system is a win win. In addition VS OEM You save 7.4# per corner in the front and 9.1# per corner in the rear a total unsprung weight savings of 33#.
That's lots of weight saving! I imagine some of it is from rotors (unsprung and rotating mass - even better to lose)...
Old 05-03-2018, 01:45 PM
Tik
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Well summarized and nice choice on the APs! I've got the same kit being installed today! Look forward to your impressions. I'll be out on track with them next Friday and Saturday.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:09 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GrantG
That's lots of weight saving! I imagine some of it is from rotors (unsprung and rotating mass - even better to lose)...
Some of the weight savings are from the rotors but not as much as you would think. The front rotors are 3# lighter each side the rears are 4.9# per side lighter.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark-ApexPerformance
Some of the weight savings are from the rotors but not as much as you would think. The front rotors are 3# lighter each side the rears are 4.9# per side lighter.
So roughly half the weight saving from rotors and half from calipers/pads - nice!

Quick Reply: Orthojoe .2 GT3 Thread