Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe .2 GT3 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 02:19 AM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Nice driving. Where did you place the mic to get the awesome engine sound? In my videos there are mostly wind noises. (Gopro, AIM SmartyCam)
Old 05-02-2018, 02:21 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Wind911
Nice driving. Where did you place the mic to get the awesome engine sound? In my videos there are mostly wind noises. (Gopro, AIM SmartyCam)
Thanks! I placed it in the rear bumper right above where the LED lights that light up the license plate reside.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:33 AM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks! I placed it in the rear bumper right above where the LED lights that light up the license plate reside.
Cool!, Is there anyway to route the mic cable through engine bay into cabin or just have to tape it along the body?
Old 05-02-2018, 02:35 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Wind911
Cool!, Is there anyway to route the mic cable through engine bay into cabin or just have to tape it along the body?
Yes, there is a rubber grommet that gives you access to the shelf in the rear of the car. you just pull the rear shelf out and you can pull the wire through. I can shoot pics for you later
Old 05-02-2018, 02:46 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

quickidy quick... vroom vroom... with no brake pressure you can use negative long G as a pseudo indicator of decel and create a math channel links to brake press switch (do you get that??)... its what i have to do on the 997. Works OK actually to show braking curves.

I didn't see the clutch as light when i drove martins and found it easy to engage/shift... of course I don't find the 997 4.0 clutch heavy either so maybe i'm just numb.

Is that "that mustang"? I think i've had that same "ARRRGGGGG" before... :-)
Old 05-02-2018, 02:50 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

No brake switch channel either. longG is an option, but I have Gsum meter already up there to read
Old 05-02-2018, 02:53 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Joe's A/V game rivals his driving skillz.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:53 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

No brake switch channel either. longG is an option, but I have Gsum meter already up there to read
WEAK. GSUM isn't quite the same as you get lat/long summed... anyway, you should still be able to plot your brake curves/release which is why you really want it (well other than for video max effect!)

Damn that car pulls hard.

You find bouncing 4th into 1 better than a short shift up / down? might be, right on the edge.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:15 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Hi Joe. Nice vid, good track, great driving! Looking forward to my turn to bring this car for it's maiden voyage on track. Have 6 days coming up, 2 weekends back to back, car is bone stock just like yours. I do have a few questions for you.

1. What tire pressures were you running?
2. What tires, and how was tire wear with stock settings?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2018, 09:37 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Good review. Agreed that manual vs PDK shouldn't affect lap time much for a good driver. I'm not surprised that the car felt significantly faster, given how much faster the 'ring time was, though I'm surprised that the grip doesn't seem to be more. BTW, I noticed that you tilt your head a good bit in corners - I guess the G-forces aren't low!
Old 05-02-2018, 10:11 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Spyerx
WEAK. GSUM isn't quite the same as you get lat/long summed... anyway, you should still be able to plot your brake curves/release which is why you really want it (well other than for video max effect!)

Damn that car pulls hard.

You find bouncing 4th into 1 better than a short shift up / down? might be, right on the edge.
Actually, short shift up and then quickly back down got me an extra 2mph. This is where dialing in my shifting will help with my time and is extra 'work' that pdk take care of.

Originally Posted by Palting
Hi Joe. Nice vid, good track, great driving! Looking forward to my turn to bring this car for it's maiden voyage on track. Have 6 days coming up, 2 weekends back to back, car is bone stock just like yours. I do have a few questions for you.

1. What tire pressures were you running?
2. What tires, and how was tire wear with stock settings?

Thanks!
I start at 25psi dead cold all around and leave it alone the rest of the day no matter what the pressures go to the rest of the day.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:38 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Joe, thanks as always for all the sharing.
At 25PSI, don't they go sky high?
Old 05-02-2018, 10:55 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Actually, they don't. The highest that the right side (ccw track) jumps to is 36psi in the rear and 35psi in the front. As the day gets warmer, the pressures don't get any higher. I got a tip from a friend once and who taught me that the delta from cold to hot should be even and not the actual pressure. The more you drop the pressure during the day, the more you are putting heat into the tire and causing overheat. This leads to inconsistent and slower times as the day goes on. I've found my times to be more consistent throughout a session and throughout the day when I don't mess with the pressures.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:00 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice driving

Last edited by Dalema; 07-30-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:26 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Actually, they don't. The highest that the right side (ccw track) jumps to is 36psi in the rear and 35psi in the front. As the day gets warmer, the pressures don't get any higher. I got a tip from a friend once and who taught me that the delta from cold to hot should be even and not the actual pressure. The more you drop the pressure during the day, the more you are putting heat into the tire and causing overheat. This leads to inconsistent and slower times as the day goes on. I've found my times to be more consistent throughout a session and throughout the day when I don't mess with the pressures.
It also depends on how much the ambient temp varies during the day. In my neck of the woods, that could be as much about 40 F, which adds about another 4 psi. I typically start the day cold at around 28 psi, bleed down to my target at the end of the first session, then check and bleed a little after subsequent sessions if needed. That sometimes means I need to add some air before the first session next morning if the ambient temp is cold. Generally, I avoid driving the car outside a range of about 26 to 40 psi to avoid tire damage or badly uneven wear.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe .2 GT3 Thread