Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: 0-60mph in 1.9 sec. for $200k. How does Tesla Roadster Change Things?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 03:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I think this is an important point. A car like a manual gt3... or a Singer.. will always have a place, because it will offer the driving EXPERIENCE we crave, which isn't all about power and speed.
Yup, there is a rapidly increasing divergence taking place between driving and transportation. And given where the latter category is headed, relatively soon I don't think it will even be fair to call them 'automobiles'. They'll just be individual transportation pods.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:06 PM
Volcano
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The only guy I know who has the Model S with ludicrous mode said it got old super fast and that he never uses it. Personal choice I guess, but these cars hold zero interest for me. A really good electric daily driver with great range at a reasonable price for the wife to drive interests me greatly though. We'll see if one of those arrives within the next few years.
I agree straight line speed gets old really fast once you get pulled over a couple of times the novelty wears off I much prefer a car that handles very well for street driving. It's way more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow IMO. Hopefully they can bring that electric semi to market on time for once it would be nice to not get stuck behind a semi blowing black smoke all over the place for once.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:09 PM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 52 Posts

The aroma of sour grapes wafting from my monitor is intoxicating...if this was a Porsche development we would all be putting down deposits and kvetching about ADM
Old 11-17-2017, 04:16 PM
Volcano
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lfish
The aroma of sour grapes wafting from my monitor is intoxicating...if this was a Porsche development we would all be putting down deposits and kvetching about ADM
Meh the car is 3 years out minimum. I would like to see a vbox to verify those performance numbers and would have to drive it myself to see how it handles. The biggest gripe that I have with modern cars now is that they're so fast that it's no fun to drive them on the street. Constantly getting pulled over gets old real fast ask me how I know.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:27 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by lfish
sour grapes about what? nobody cares that its a tesla not a porsche. If you spend time around this forum, people buy $200k cars cause they are bored. If they wanted a tesla, they would get one.

I have no interest in an electric vehicle, so I couldn't care less who built it.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:28 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
The megacars of the world which sacrifice experience for numbers, are destined to be phased out.. because they end up not providing the complete experience, and just sit in garages as Show pieces. This tesla roadster is a genius machine, which will appeal to a much wider audience of casual gearheads. I could see a garage being composed of a model E Porsche sedan or tesla X SUV, this tesla roadster for thrills, and then an old school manual 911. That would complete me.
Agree. All the megacars with insane HP numbers largely just sit in garages. I want to drive my cars every single week.

Agree in general on the ideal garage. My garage next year will consist of the dual motor/AWD Tesla Model 3 for my DD/errands car and 991.2 GT3 for track/weekend fun. Those two cars cover all my bases.

I do want to add a roadster in few years when I'm a different house. Would consider the Tesla, but will also look at whats available in 2021 from Porsche, MB, etc. If Tesla creates a 1.9 sec 0-60 beast, that still weighs over 4,500 lbs, I would likely just try to find a 987/981 spyder in good condition.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:52 PM
Jupiterfish
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

they were doing ride alongs ....

https://jalopnik.com/watch-the-new-t...e-c-1820542817

starts at 1:30
Old 11-17-2017, 05:01 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

until it proves itself at the Track color me unconvinced - otherwise the Model S is a fanatastic daily driver and my preferred car - after driving an EV I vastly prefer them to ICE cars and look forward to the invasion - anyone who doesn't like EV simply hasn't had enough time with them or is being resistant for questionable reasons

but I agree Elon is better at buzz than follow through - but he also tends to pull off what he says he will (just not on his announced schedule) - this will be another landmark car, and it will keep pressure on established vendors - but I doubt it will be better than a 911 GT3 on track…but he might even surprise me - if it can track with a 911 - then folks the game will have changed…but color me unconvinced this is any more than a really really fast/agile daily driver - it's unlikely to be a track car…but most people don't track their sports cars, and that is the point - it will be the best sports car on the road - but not the track.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:10 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone else said that it will never get built? Because it will never get built. They needed a cash raise, these deposits get that done.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:14 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default It's Electric

Electric Power appears to be a superior technology over the petrol engine. We see this revolution eclipsing the petrol engine that Porsche has evolved to its own zenith of perfection. This is the crossroad. Now, I'm sure Porsche will leverage its suspension expertise, incorporate its passion for performance, and put together their own electrically driven sports car in the near future. Hear the sound of the petrol engine's knell from your PSE while you can.

Last edited by love2drive; 11-17-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,503 Likes on 2,561 Posts

The only guy I know who has the Model S with ludicrous mode said it got old super fast and that he never uses it. Personal choice I guess, but these cars hold zero interest for me. A really good electric daily driver with great range at a reasonable price for the wife to drive interests me greatly though. We'll see if one of those arrives within the next few years.
I may be wrong, but I'd guess the typical Model S owner (even with ludicrous mode) isn't really a sports car enthusiast, so that may explain this. My C63 has a lot of torque, and it hasn't gotten old for me at all.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:18 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree in general on the ideal garage. My garage next year will consist of the dual motor/AWD Tesla Model 3 for my DD/errands car and 991.2 GT3 for track/weekend fun. Those two cars cover all my bases.
That will be my garage in the near future as well, though I'll have another slot for my wife's DD (maybe a single-motor Tesla or Cayenne (cringe)). I've also got a 912 for vintage rallies and a dedicated track monster in the mix.

For fun cars I've come to realize I need "flaws". The 1M was a hugely fun DD for me, and in some ways it's one of the most flawed modern cars I've driven- turbo lag, didn't put power down, tail-happy and often over the limit, will bite in fast sweepers. But as an ownership experience that was far more fun on average roads than the many much "better" cars I've driven/ owned that can rail corners at 3x the speed limit, etc. Manuals are flawed, most 911s are very flawed. The GT2's turbo lag is a flaw, and it makes the car. The 918 is the most flawless car I've driven, and I simply didn't want one.

A decade from now you'll clearly be able to get affordable SUVs as quick and flawless as 918s. Which begs the question- how fast do you want to go, really? I'd love to drive a new Tesla Roadster to the autocross and for a few quick blasts. But it's a car I'd really rather my buddy buys and I borrow, because at the end of the day the speed's a party trick. One hell of a trick, to be sure, but much less impressive when everyone's got it. At which point I find it's the challenge and the flaws that keep me coming back, not the numbers.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:30 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Musk is a modern day cross between the Wizard of Oz, Mr. Haney, and Thomas Edison. Genius, showmanship and a little charlatan thrown in for good measure. He is a master at manipulating and misdirecting the media with the next shiny penny, which of course will always be late, more costly and not quite as all around awesome as predicted. My only beef with him is the hype and the Ponzi scheme of a financial model he's been able to run by stretching the truth. I'm sure it's no coincidence that he rolled this car out now, to take the spotlight off the Model 3 manufacturing debacle.
And the fact that they just lost $619 in Q3 2017.

Tesla aside, in reading the article in this month's issue of Car discussing both the Mission E and the GT2RS, I think that the Mission E is going to be a game changer. Take a Tesla, throw out the bad, amplify the good and put the backing of the Porsche empire behind it and that's a recipe for some serious success. Having driven a Model S a bunch of times, it's a very appealing vehicle to me for a commuter car. And one that, despite it's flaws, is fun enough to not bore you senseless. It's not just about the Ludicrous mode acceleration. The thing I like about it is the precision of speed. I equated it to driving the world's most responsive NA engine. There's no downshifting now power curve, not nothing. You move your foot, you change speed. You take your foot out, you slow down. I loved it.

Once companies like Porsche put their full might behind performance EV's, the tide will start shifting faster.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:35 PM
RRRRR
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If E car can do 0.1s 0-60 then what? Not feel any hyped at all.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:57 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiterfish

that looked insane.

Either people don't understand EV or don't want to admit/hard headed that EV is the best DD.

When i first road in the Roaster back in 2009 IIRC, or earlier probably... i was in the denial phase. Deep down i knew i was being a hater.
However after my hate for it went away (even though i had a 911 turbo - which was silly fast), i managed to put get a deposit on a Signature Model S.
EV = Best DD.
Stop hating, embrace.

Quick Reply: OT: 0-60mph in 1.9 sec. for $200k. How does Tesla Roadster Change Things?