Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: 0-60mph in 1.9 sec. for $200k. How does Tesla Roadster Change Things?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 08:29 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,579 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Just to play Devil’s advocate:

No gas station stops? The range of a model S is less then the range of most if not all ICE vehicles. And if you have to charge the S it will take longer than filling a gas tank.

Large navigation screen shouldn’t make much of a difference in using a navigation system as your phone can do the same thing albeit on a smaller screen.

Silent? What cars would you be driving around clients that you can’t talk to them? The only car I’ve driven in, ever, that was difficult to talk in was a GT4 with essentially no mufflers. Not the type of car you would be taking clients in.

For the price point of a new model S you can find other dealerships that will pick up the car from you for service and leave a loaner.

Supercharger access- way more gas stations than supercharger locations and again filling a gas tank is much quicker than filling the batteries.

Performance - the car is quick. Handling is ok. Steering seemed numb to me and it is a very heavy car.

I never understood the interior quality for the price point. At the S price point i think people would spend a few thousand more for a nicer interior. And they add a lot of gimmicky items to the cars before I feel they make sure they work properly. (I.e Model X rear doors).

I get why people like them. But i also get why people don’t and why some will hate on Tesla. The debates will rage on for a while.
To play double devil’s advocate:

Yes, no gas station stops. Unless you have a fuel tank in your garage, or need to go more than 250 Miles in a journey, the Tesla gets plugged in at night and has max range in the morning. So no need to make that fuel station stop. Try that with your ICE car.

Steering is numb, but very precise. And name a 4 / 5 door sedan today that doesn’t have numb steering.

Vehicle is heavy but you don’t notice the weight at normal 5 tenths driving because the COG is so low.

Also, the silent thing is something that’s hard to describe unless you’ve spent time in one. It’s very quiet, and between that, the lack of shifting, the very direct control over speed (both accel and decel), its a very serene car. Add in autopilot and it’s hard to fathom how much more relaxed a commute is in one.

I agree on the interior. For $100k I want better than a $40k interior. Just sat in a 2018 last weekend and have to say it’s much better though. It’s not perfect. But as a daily driver, the driving experience is very good.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:17 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

I, for one, hope they bring the Roadster to market.

Competition is good. For everyone. Complacency is not. For anyone.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:06 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Agree to disagree. Electric is not for me. 0 to 60 in .1 seconds im still not interested. Sell it for $20k still not buying it. Its as easy as that. So addressing the original post. For some it changes things and for me it surely doesn’t. Naturally aspirated OG motor all day everyday
Old 11-23-2017, 10:51 PM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I just finished watching the introduction of the Tesla Roadster, with it's absolutely astonishing performance, which destroys ANY car at ANY price.. and i start to wonder if the predictions that the 918 Spyder successor (and all it's peers) will have to be pure electric to compete. There is no gasoline engine which can do 8 second 1/4 mile, 250mph+.. and only cost $200k.

I'm wondering if sports car manufacturers aren't just waking up in Europe to this news and scrapping all their plans for their upcoming cars.

didnt they say production will be 2020?

so deliveries wont be till 2021?

what do you think Porsche will have in 4 years time?
Old 11-23-2017, 11:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly

what do you think Porsche will have in 4 years time?
Not enough GT cars to meet demand?

Quick Reply: OT: 0-60mph in 1.9 sec. for $200k. How does Tesla Roadster Change Things?