Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 05:37 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
You were expecting quantum physics in a car forum?
Funny
Old 04-25-2018, 05:38 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyGT4
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Another good thread derailed by an argument about seats...
My friend, its not an argument its edification and has been helpful to hear the well reasoned Pros and Cons of Buckets verses Sofas. For many of you this is old hat but I have been around the Porsche Brand for all of 20 minutes and could benefit from the experience of our learned members.

Last edited by Porsch2018; 04-25-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:55 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
This makes no sense.
Especially since one piece seat backs like the Jaguar F-Type, 911 Carrera, Mercedes-AMGs, all have power recline.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:58 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RS2018
I know it’s a stupid question but do you think the price for a 991.2 GT3RS with Weissach Package will raise in the next years?

(ordered one today)
No. Only one model year.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:00 PM
RS2018
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
No. Only one model year.
What do you mean?
Old 04-25-2018, 06:03 PM
oneightee
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RS2018

What do you mean?
There will be only one model year of the 991.2 GT3 RS. They can't make a 2020 991 as MY2020 will be all 992
Old 04-25-2018, 06:14 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

BTW, did do a test drive with the Buckets in a GT4, and we are leaning toward them now but the Bucket seats are not all that comfortable. Maybe over time they will break me in........
Old 04-25-2018, 06:25 PM
RS2018
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oneightee
There will be only one model year of the 991.2 GT3 RS. They can't make a 2020 991 as MY2020 will be all 992
I meant do you think the price of a 991.2 GT3RS with WP will rise in the future?Like is it an good investment?...I don’t want to resell it I’m just curious
Old 04-25-2018, 07:17 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsch2018
BTW, did do a test drive with the Buckets in a GT4, and we are leaning toward them now but the Bucket seats are not all that comfortable. Maybe over time they will break me in........
If its any use to you, I was dead set against LWB's. Even during my early Ferrari days, I resisted buckets. When I purchased the 99.1GT3 I was one of the early allocations so LWB's were not available. Even if they were I doubt I would have ordered them.

When I spec'ed the .2GT3 I did exactly what your are doing. Sitting in them while in the showroom and trying to make a judgment. My wife was neutral on the issue. After discussing with some RL's (Grant in particular) I decided to order them for many of the reasons discussed above. When the car arrived last October, I still was skeptical but felt this type of car needs LWB. Boy, am I glad I ordered them. I love them (as does my wife) despite the fact they are a pain in the *** getting in and out of them. Once in, at least to me, they are very comfortable. But I don't do long trips in the car. I used it for spirited drives and is my sanctuary and entertainment pod. The only other issue with the LWB is you need to open the door at least to the first stop and depending on your size even the second stop to manage your way into the seats. I'm thin enough to need only the first stop.

I spec'ed LWB on my 3RS October delivery.:thumb:
Old 04-25-2018, 07:25 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
Yes DOT wants a limited distance between the human head and the headrest, if the LWB recline more, that distance is too far, for DOT. That is why the LWB come at such an upright angle from OEM. Once you get the car do want you like, I have the Autoquest adjuster and it looks just like OEM yet only slightly increases the angle giving a huge improvement on comfort. Long road trips no problem, still hard to get in and out of them but very comfortable and even my passengers who are fickle like the seats now.
What?

How does reclining the seat increase the distance between one's head on the headrest? Your head is touching the part of the seat that qualifies as a headrest. There literally is no way to get your head closer unless you merge with the seat on a molecular level lol. I guess I just don't understand what y'all are trying to communicate here. And how do you know this is DOT regulation? Can you point me to the actual source material/code/statute/section that spells this out?

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
Especially since one piece seat backs like the Jaguar F-Type, 911 Carrera, Mercedes-AMGs, all have power recline.
Yuuuup.

In any event, it's not like our discussion here will change anything. But I'm just really curious to know.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:26 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick
If its any use to you, I was dead set against LWB's. Even during my early Ferrari days, I resisted buckets. When I purchased the 99.1GT3 I was one of the early allocations so LWB's were not available. Even if they were I doubt I would have ordered them.

When I spec'ed the .2GT3 I did exactly what your are doing. Sitting in them while in the showroom and trying to make a judgment. My wife was neutral on the issue. After discussing with some RL's (Grant in particular) I decided to order them for many of the reasons discussed above. When the car arrived last October, I still was skeptical but felt this type of car needs LWB. Boy, am I glad I ordered them. I love them (as does my wife) despite the fact they are a pain in the *** getting in and out of them. Once in, at least to me, they are very comfortable. But I don't do long trips in the car. I used it for spirited drives and is my sanctuary and entertainment pod. The only other issue with the LWB is you need to open the door at least to the first stop and depending on your size even the second stop to manage your way into the seats. I'm thin enough to need only the first stop.

I spec'ed LWB on my 3RS October delivery.:thumb:
Thanks for your insight and congratulations on the 3RS............That center swath of green on the LWBs looks real good as well.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:38 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
What?

How does reclining the seat increase the distance between one's head on the headrest? Your head is touching the part of the seat that qualifies as a headrest. There literally is no way to get your head closer unless you merge with the seat on a molecular level lol. I guess I just don't understand what y'all are trying to communicate here. And how do you know this is DOT regulation? Can you point me to the actual source material/code/statute/section that spells this out?
No the distance increases and as such goes beyond the limited distance required. Perhaps minimum distance isn't the best word to describe it. The idea is to keep to distance between the head and headrest to a minimum. They limit the distance between the head and the headrest...not increase it. If you recline the seat the distance between them increases and thus fails the requirement, if the headrest is adjustable you can compensate, if it is fixed sol. You can check nhtsa.gov, federal motor vehicle safety standards, the IIhs.org or hell just do a simple google search there is a lot out there on the internets........use the force....... wtf
Old 04-25-2018, 07:44 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
No the distance increases and as such goes beyond the limited distance required. Perhaps minimum distance isn't the best word to describe it. The idea is to keep to distance between the head and headrest to a minimum. They limit the distance between the head and the headrest...not increase it. If you recline the seat the distance between them increases and thus fails the requirement, if the headrest is adjustable you can compensate, if it is fixed sol. You can check nhtsa.gov, federal motor vehicle safety standards, the IIhs.org or hell just do a simple google search there is a lot out there on the internets........use the force....... wtf
Hmm... if you recline the seat, your body and your head recline with it. They are in contact at all times. Unless you're sitting up and keep your body from reclining with with the seat... which defeats the purpose. But whatever I guess I just don't understand...

When I sit in a seat, I lean back into the seat. My head is touching the headrest. If I recline the seat, I recline with it. *shrug*
Old 04-25-2018, 08:23 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

my 2 cents on seat choice/lwb's

rs is supposed to be a track focused vehicle that can be driven on the road -- as such the buckets are most appropriate for the mission of the car

rs's and gt3's are intended to be visceral vehicles and having had all modern porsche factory seats, i feel the buckets have the least and firmest bottom padding and thus you get the least filtered sensations through the seat bottom...also, the seating position is pretty vertical (more ideal track driving position) ... once again consistent with the mission of the car

this having been said, the rs is still a street car, not a race car... these buckets are sporty seats but they are hardly true race seats... porsche knows, and we know, many/most people buy this car to look sporty feel sporty more than be sporty, and usually this car will be driven on road trips, to cars and coffees, and brisk road drives where the greatest degree of high g lateral support is not actually needed as in full on track situations

furthermore, porsche also knows some rich/chubby people buy these cars to look cool so these seats are wide - noticeably wider than last gen gt2 buckets and wider still than 996 gen elephant ear lw buckets

so just as the rs is not a race car, these buckets are not race seats - but they look hella cool and completes the sporty nature of the spendy purchase

however, there are sacrifices to having these... more money, no seat back recline/tilt (no use of back storage area as a result), higher side bolsters requiring athletic entry and egress

finally the seats are designed for track use in mind, so the stock position is meant to work with helmets/hans taking up some headroom to the headrest... still, some taller driver complains the seat headrest interferes with helmets -- but there is an aftermarket fix in the form of a seat mount angler for that
Old 04-25-2018, 09:16 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Evo review http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911-gt3...ot-even-better

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS