Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 07:49 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 167 Posts

It's your car. If I had the scratch, I'd twist Porsche's arm to get the 4-way sport seats. These are anatomically perfect for ME. No sense having a car that you don't fit in.

Want: http://www.porsche-code.com/PKI17ZL6

cheers!
Old 04-24-2018, 07:50 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

The faster you drive, the more comfortable the LWB seats are. Problem solved.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:59 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by n3rd
I recommend you get some serious seat time in the carbon buckets... a few hours if possible. They are literally one the most comfortable seats you will sit in. I sat in a 918 with buckets and absolutely hated them (no driving time) and was going to order sofa seats until this forum swayed me to order LWB. I really am grateful for the recommendation. They are wonderful and comfortable seats. Ingress/egress takes time to get used to.

It’s your money and buy the car they way YOU want it (but get some seat time in the buckets).
Originally Posted by GT3

That’s the thing, especially if you’re fit, they are no uncomfortable. Like other people stated, they may feel like that at first, but once you get some drive time in them, you perception will likely change. Several RL members, including SamPelligrino and others, got the same way as you at first, ordered sofas, got real lwb seat time in another car, and are now looking to spend an addition $10k+ to buy the buckets after the fact. Try drivind in them somewhere before your allocation locks.
Bingo

First and foremost it is your money and your allocation, so at the end of the day it's not us that matters, or our opinions, but solely your own unless you find value/insight here. I went with 4 ways after sitting in LWBS on a .1 GT3 for 30-45 seconds and thinking they were uncomfortable, and it wasn't until I did a full lap at PEC LA track in a .2 GT3 that opened my eyes to the buckets.

I have 4 way sofas on my GT3 and they are admittedly a very very fantastic seat (did 2700 miles in 14 days straight not a single issue), but there is some truth that the buckets just add to the overall experience of the car and connection to the car. And at least for me, these cars are 100% about the experience (and memories). I don't think a GT3 or GT3RS is inferior for having sofas, some here specifically want the car only *with* sofas. Porsche allows this option likely for a reason even on crazy GT2RS. I would venture to say you gain a little "specialness" / "cool factor" / "more supportive and upright seating position" with the LWBS (aside from actual tracking benefits), but lose some seat cushion/padding (for better or worse, with more cushion my back starts to ache) and some ease of getting in and out of the car.

Luckily I was able to source a silver stitch LWBS from another RLer and I will swap those in once the car arrives and then sell my 4 way sport seats to eat some of the cost back for anyone who wants to have both sets.

So in summary for me personally I would highly encourage you to make sure the LWBS aren't for you (as Archimedes originally said to give him credit). More than just sitting in the seats for 2 mins but if you can, going for a drive sitting in them. If you still prefer the sofas I don't find any fault with that, it's your car and you should be happy and smiling at the end of the day, not any of us and what we would have preferred. If you just want sofas (like I initially did), you might end up loving the seats and no looking back. You shouldn't have to justify your option choices. However you might be trying to source a very expensive and hard to find seat after you get your car with sofas like I had to do!
Old 04-24-2018, 08:02 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

The real LWB
Old 04-24-2018, 08:04 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 263 Posts

Why people with LWB "on the brain" feel the need to hard sell their opinions is baffling.
Porsche gives us options.
We are all different. Why we choose what we choose is individual and personal.

My money, my car, my choice.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:06 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 296 Likes on 143 Posts

The real LWB
Old 04-24-2018, 08:17 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Why people with LWB "on the brain" feel the need to hard sell their opinions is baffling.

Haven't you heard about the new VIP program from Porsche? When you spec a car, 918 owners get to vote on and approve the builds.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:26 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,212 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner

agree 100%. Plus, if truly throwing the car around on the tracks the LWBs are NOT the best seat made for high speeds. I still slide around in them, just not as much as the 4/18 ways.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:07 PM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 106 Posts

Beyond the obvious reason of "decent" (not race seat) lateral support in "spirited" (not race) driving, i'd speck the LWB's simply because in the event that i sell the car years down the road, i dont want to have the ugly duckling on the market.

But, your money, your call. Congrats on the car.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:19 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for the various view points, and helpful comments.........

The dealership had a 2016 GT4 in the showroom that I sat in to help me experience the buckets but I can see why driving the car would be more revealing. My vehicle does not go V250 until 20 July so I will be sure to have the SA find me a Porsche I can test drive with buckets before that.

Last edited by Porsch2018; 04-24-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:22 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

The real LWB

Hold the phone, please, please tell me they come in Lizard Green.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:28 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I'm surprised it didn't go to 7th gear. Is that back straight at an incline, maybe? Still hit a top speed of 280kph = 174mph, though.
Yes, up to the Bilstein bridge.

Speed roughly compared to other sub-7 cars just before the bridge:

Old 04-24-2018, 10:02 PM
oneightee
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMartinni
Yes, up to the Bilstein bridge.
Awesome post ++
Very revealing with similar overall laptimes but materially different way of achieving those lap times. The 3RS corner speeds must have been stupid to make up that much of a delta/deficit on a ridiculously long 'straight' and total time at WOT. I, like others, felt the shifts were a little late but (a) Estre is a Porsche factory driver and well, i'm not and (b) it still would have made only a couple km/h difference.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:05 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
So in summary for me personally I would highly encourage you to make sure the LWBS aren't for you (as Archimedes originally said to give him credit). More than just sitting in the seats for 2 mins but if you can, going for a drive sitting in them. If you still prefer the sofas I don't find any fault with that, it's your car and you should be happy and smiling at the end of the day, not any of us and what we would have preferred. If you just want sofas (like I initially did), you might end up loving the seats and no looking back. You shouldn't have to justify your option choices. However you might be trying to source a very expensive and hard to find seat after you get your car with sofas like I had to do!
Will do a test drive.....thanks for the advice.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:39 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

I have them in my GT cars and ordered them in my GT2RS, .2 GT3, and .2 GT3.

I am fit, but also have neck and lower back issues, cervical spines fused, disk replacement etc. When my back and neck feel good the seats are not a problem. When my back is acting up, they are f@@@king torture. Every other car I own with buckets are more comfortable.

They do look much better than the sofas. If you have other cars get the LWBs. If this is your primary toy, and you have any issues with your spine, I would think twice.

I dont care care what the keyboard racers say, this is not a race car. I own race cars and they are not close.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS