Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 12:38 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Just think - Porsche could easily solve all this arguing by offering some sort of recline feature on the LWBs.......please do this in the future Porsche!
Old 04-25-2018, 12:54 AM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Just think - Porsche could easily solve all this arguing by offering some sort of recline feature on the LWBs.......please do this in the future Porsche!
It's not PAG, it's US DOT regulations
Old 04-25-2018, 01:08 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
And what are those regulations?
Old 04-25-2018, 01:14 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
It can't be. There are plenty of seats in cars that recline. Most Porsches for start!
Old 04-25-2018, 01:41 AM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
And what are those regulations?
DOT regulates that there has to be a minimum distance between the head and the headrest. With most seats the headrest is adjustable as is most of seat. The Light Weight Buckets, however, are a fixed back and fixed headrest as such they have to be at a certain angle to insure this minimum distance is met. There are several companies that make seat adjusters to relax the angle of the LWB the adjusters themselves look very similar to the factory parts yet the consequent angle makes a huge difference in comfort
Old 04-25-2018, 01:54 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
DOT regulates that there has to be a minimum distance between the head and the headrest. With most seats the headrest is adjustable as is most of seat. The Light Weight Buckets, however, are a fixed back and fixed headrest as such they have to be at a certain angle to insure this minimum distance is met. There are several companies that make seat adjusters to relax the angle of the LWB the adjusters themselves look very similar to the factory parts yet the consequent angle makes a huge difference in comfort
This makes no sense.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:04 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,961 Likes on 5,215 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
Originally Posted by Gravs
This makes no sense.
Which is why it’s a DOT regulation.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:13 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

We're talking height-wise, right? As in, I'm super tall so I need to RAISE the headrest? We're not talking minimum distance, as in the distance from the back of your head to the headrest.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:57 AM
EST
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsch2018
Thanks for your opinion but no thanks. I guess I am not as hardcore as you. Your telling me for a quarter of a Million dollars they can't add padding? Is the seat padding going to compromise your lap time? I am not a race car Wannabe just someone who wants a fast cool car with comfortable seats.
Just telling you that I had the same deal-experience with my first 997GT3. I tried once to sitting on Carrera GT buckets and it felt very stiff not comfortable (it was no cost option for GT3 with clubsport pack.)
I decided 18 way sofas.
I realized later then started to drive a car that it was the biggest mistake (ever) then ordered this car. So I changed them later to 997GT2 buckets.
It's not the question that you will be faster or some other BS but for me it was the feeling and feedback of the car you will getting through this bucket seats. With the buckets you and the car are like "one piece"
Of course the choice is yours
Old 04-25-2018, 04:19 AM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by EST
Just telling you that I had the same deal-experience with my first 997GT3. I tried once to sitting on Carrera GT buckets and it felt very stiff not comfortable (it was no cost option for GT3 with clubsport pack.)
I decided 18 way sofas.
I realized later then started to drive a car that it was the biggest mistake (ever) then ordered this car. So I changed them later to 997GT2 buckets.
It's not the question that you will be faster or some other BS but for me it was the feeling and feedback of the car you will getting through this bucket seats. With the buckets you and the car are like "one piece"
Of course the choice is yours
I have heard pretty diverse opinions regarding the LWB seats but it seems that the majority of the Porsche owners seem to favor/recommend them. In light of these recommendations, and given I had not tried them out properly with a drive, I have made arrangements to test drive a GT4 my SA has on the lot with LWB seats today to see if they will work for me.
I appreciate the time people have taken to share their perspectives and experience.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:30 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 611 Posts

I have heard pretty diverse opinions regarding the LWB seats but it seems that the majority of the Porsche owners seem to favor/recommend them. In light of these recommendations, and given I had not tried them out properly with a drive, I have made arrangements to test drive a GT4 my SA has on the lot with LWB seats today to see if they will work for me.
I appreciate the time people have taken to share their perspectives and experience.
Good call. Just to add to the data pool - they indeed get more comfortable once you get used to them more, and for many (but not for all) are VERY comfortable. But they also are not true hardcore track seats, especially for thinner/smaller drivers. They are built to be useable even for 220lbs+ people, which makes them compromised for anyone much smaller, making them feel like a pencil in a cup. Just like racing ski boots, track seats need to come in very granular sizes to work well, and these are one size fits all.

Also, any talk about racing seats being uncomfortable is BS - racing is about getting every possible advantage, and comfy seats are such an advantage. More comfortable is better for racing, as long as it does not isolate too much.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:55 AM
EST
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Smart decision to test them!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:56 AM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Good call. Just to add to the data pool - they indeed get more comfortable once you get used to them more, and for many (but not for all) are VERY comfortable. But they also are not true hardcore track seats, especially for thinner/smaller drivers. They are built to be useable even for 220lbs+ people, which makes them compromised for anyone much smaller, making them feel like a pencil in a cup. Just like racing ski boots, track seats need to come in very granular sizes to work well, and these are one size fits all.

Also, any talk about racing seats being uncomfortable is BS - racing is about getting every possible advantage, and comfy seats are such an advantage. More comfortable is better for racing, as long as it does not isolate too much.
I'm debating ordering sofa's for the gt3rs. I have buckets in my 2012 Spyder and 2018 GT3. Considering that most people want buckets and it is a no cost option, it seems silly to not order them. I might order them and then retrofit sofa's for daily driving. Decisions, Decisions...
Old 04-25-2018, 10:03 AM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jvmax
I'm debating ordering sofa's for the gt3rs. I have buckets in my 2012 Spyder and 2018 GT3. Considering that most people want buckets and it is a no cost option, it seems silly to not order them. I might order them and then retrofit sofa's for daily driving. Decisions, Decisions...
From the data compiled by CamsPorsche as of January 2018 72% of people chose buckets and 28% chose sofas.......
Old 04-25-2018, 12:15 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

I had buckets in my '16RS and order them in my new one. I have sofa's in my '18 GT3. The buckets look the business and are reasonably comfortable. You need to be reasonably athletic to get in and out of them easily. Order what you like.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS