Sponsored by:

Check in Here if you have a 991.2 GT3 PTS Order

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 03:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

^ my was approved PTS on paper on build sheet from PCNA nov 2017...
it's not here yet.
no, i have no CXX and i made no changes.
maybe i can put head of porsche exclusive in my vitamix (see martin golf blue for sale thread for ref)

frankly porsche CEO or maybe it's just a german trait, are very think skinned.
if this happens to toyota, honda, etc, the CEO will step down if they have not cut their waist with samurai sword... b/c they have no face to live. i would be shamed to kill myself if my company have these issues.

i wrote to porsche, and frankly SOMEONE at PORSCHE KNOWS SOMETHING. THIS SOMEONE is an eunuck. step up, answer the question and fix the problem.
it really isnt that hard.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:33 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Funny (and not so funny).

I'm blessed (cursed depending on your POV) with the German trait of efficiency. In my line of work, I've leveraged computers to find the shortest time between two tasks. It's possible Porsche's challenge is software. Don't assume they're using state of the art technology to manage scheduling.

For example, in the dealership world, did you know that there are 2 providers supplying 85% of all dealerships w/Dealer Management Systems (DMS) that are built on 40+ year old code? It's not even a relational database. Now, if you peer over the shoulder of a dealership employee and view the computer screen, it looks reasonably modern but it's the front end to the database. It's lipstick on a pig. The back-end to Dealer DMS is older than dirt. Is Porsche hamstrung by it's software?

Is it a supplier issue, where the PTS parts aren't arriving as needed for production? (It's certainly not the satellite wart!).

The alternative explanation is bureaucratic. I don't know and I'm trying to understand, but it's having the unfortunate effect of pouring cold water on this Porsche enthusiast.

As Mooty said -- and I'm reminded of Gene Kranz's mandate to Apollo 13 engineers on the ground -- FIX THE PROBLEM.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:49 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

They batch the colors. This is why I think some people get moved up, some people get pushed back.

It would be interesting to see if the batching is done via software or manually.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:03 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by evilfij
They batch the colors. This is why I think some people get moved up, some people get pushed back.

It would be interesting to see if the batching is done via software or manually.
Sure? Must be a new phenomenon then, as there is only one Golf Blue on Andre's spreadsheet and that has been delivered and resold already.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:19 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Sure? Must be a new phenomenon then, as there is only one Golf Blue on Andre's spreadsheet and that has been delivered and resold already.
Yes, not seeing the batching.

IT IS SOFTWARE. I have worked in manufacturing environments my whole career, and is is obvious to me the reason you see more and more car manufacturers going to fewer or no options is because they can’t handle the variety with options and do Just In Time (JIT) scheduling of vendors to their production line. Add the options list that Porsche has with the 911’s, introduce custom tailoring and CXX and then PTS, then the whole thing blows up.

We see that with many CXX items the standard part is assembled in the car and then replaced- again this is because of the inability to schedule options- do you think they want to throw out whole dash assemblies to do a CXX option? Of course not, but the software and production planning systems just don’t let them do it. I believe they use SAS for their operations, which IMHO makes it even worse since changes to that enterprise software is measured in man years and millions of dollars.

Nevertheless I think it could be handled better- they just are not treating CXX and PTS as an entrepreneurial enterprise measured on $$ and customer satisfaction. This is where the beaucracy of the organization contributes to the problem.

Man, I’m glad my company is lean and focused. We run circles around the big guys which fuels our growth. So big is not always better, but when it comes to cars, unfortunately it is- cost, design leverage, government regulations etc. Hell every car produced is a miracle of engineering and science that most could not have dreamed of 40 years ago....
Old 08-04-2018, 10:48 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

I am 100% sure they batch PTS cars. Certainly they do multiple batches of the same color, but if you scan through Instagram it is painfully clear colors are batched.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:12 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

I am 100% sure they batch PTS cars. Certainly they do multiple batches of the same color, but if you scan through Instagram it is painfully clear colors are batched.

I know we have had the debate and I don’t doubt they take advantage when builds are close together (like within a month), but consider my case- my allocation shifted before my color was locked in, and has stayed there while the other Pastel Orange onthe list was built months ago. They could have moved one of us for batching but no such thing happened. Again, once a production date is set the production management system is pretty limiting to changes.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:18 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

i agree they must batch the PTS colors. Anecdotally I’ve seen it too. First came the bright green cars (many cars in viper, gelbgrun, etc). Then came a bunch each of dark greens (Irish, BRG, Oak). Now we are seeing a bunch of Mexico Blue, Arrow Blue, and Voodoo.

I know my Mexico Blue just finished production and others have posted pictures in the last few weeks of other Mexico Blue GT3’s either coming out of the factory or being delivered. mine a little late due to stop for CXX items.

Like others here, I originally had a much earlier allocation and production month. It wasn’t until after my PTS color was final approved that production mo th changed to June/July this year. Coincidence. I think not.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:39 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Based on Andre’s tally on Page 1, it’s not obvious they batch colors. Perhaps if we had an extra column showing the date the car exited production we might see a reliable pattern. Better yet, some communication from Porsche would be appreciated; Until then, we’re all just speculating.

Hopefully the car comes before the tariffs, as both one will make the waiting cease...

Old 08-05-2018, 12:55 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Based on Andre’s tally on Page 1, it’s not obvious they batch colors. Perhaps if we had an extra column showing the date the car exited production we might see a reliable pattern. Better yet, some communication from Porsche would be appreciated; Until then, we’re all just speculating.

Hopefully the car comes before the tariffs, as both one will make the waiting cease...
I compiled the ones that came out at nearly the same time earlier in the thread, but another instance was there were two auratium green cars that hit the market within a couple days of each other (the GT3 at Greenwich and a 718 cayman in Chicago). Being that there are (probably) three Auratium green cars total thus far (the earlier GT3 car in Miami and I have one on order which will be #4), the two that came out together had to be batched. If you go on Instagram either PTSRS or just #painttosample you will see patterns.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:53 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

no, they dont and if they do, they are not doing it right
this color was delivered in EU several month ago (2 of them)
that's fine, it's the EU mkt.
then same color 3 cars delivered IN USA. one of which delivered to my dealer.
all 3 USA car were of same color as mine. all had more options and all approved after mine...
so what's the logic?

Old 08-05-2018, 03:53 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

To be clear, I am not saying they take every order of a color and produce them all at once. Only that they lump the same color together and build a number of them at the same time.

If you want logic out of the PTS build sequences, I have very little to offer. I will say that it used to be that almost all PTS were pushed back toward the end of the production year. But now only some are pushed back. Still, more PTS at the end than early in the build cycle. With GT3: First batch, PDK only no PTS. Second batch you ask for PTS and get pushed back whether you get PTS or not. Go to the end of the line. Most got it, some did not. All were delayed. Now, the end of the line allocations Sept-Dec PTS GT3 is easy to get. Just ask. You wait. I wait. Lots of us wait. Who cares? No one complaining is without a Porsche.

Bottom line is Porsche has made clear that PTS = Please Take a Seat and wait.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:31 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

To be clear, I am not saying they take every order of a color and produce them all at once. Only that they lump the same color together and build a number of them at the same time.

If you want logic out of the PTS build sequences, I have very little to offer. I will say that it used to be that almost all PTS were pushed back toward the end of the production year. But now only some are pushed back. Still, more PTS at the end than early in the build cycle. With GT3: First batch, PDK only no PTS. Second batch you ask for PTS and get pushed back whether you get PTS or not. Go to the end of the line. Most got it, some did not. All were delayed. Now, the end of the line allocations Sept-Dec PTS GT3 is easy to get. Just ask. You wait. I wait. Lots of us wait. Who cares? No one complaining is without a Porsche.

Bottom line is Porsche has made clear that PTS = Please Take a Seat and wait.
I posted news of the delay in part to alert others who are making plans w/vacation around expected delivery times. Shame on me for posting.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:38 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

I posted news of the delay in part to alert others who are making plans w/vacation around expected delivery times. Shame on me for posting.
Not shaming, I was responding to mooty. ;-)
Old 08-05-2018, 01:27 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 235 Posts

I asked this specific question when on the factory tour and they said no batching.

Quick Reply: Check in Here if you have a 991.2 GT3 PTS Order