Sponsored by:

Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 04:06 PM
gt-2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
And if you look at the invoice you will find that most dealers signed up for a factory program and directly charge that cost back to the buyer by claiming its all part of invoice pricing.
....the small marketing allowance provided back to dealers doesn't come close to what most stores spend in net ad money spent per unit.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:34 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by gt-2
Many are assuming far too much.......the manufacturer then incurs a much larger scale of marketing dollars (dealers account for billions in tier 1 marketing in local markets each year). They also then incur the carrying costs of producing and stocking all the inventory that currently the dealers typically keep on hand. The costs on a large scale go spiraling out of control quickly in even a mild market downturn. So no the manufacturer isn't guaranteed to just offer invoice costs despite everyone thinking the middleman dealers are out of picture. I think many are not considering many factors that can and have taken place. Manufacturers suck at selling cars when they aren't in major demand. Some would then say, then just produce less to keep the demand high but it doesn't work like that. They want to produce as many as can be reasonably produced to get to breakeven then enough more to get to a profit and sometimes supply/demand doesn't work perfectly based on logistics and production planning well ahead of time. Look at history......they have tried and failed many attempts (of course some failures were due to dealer recourse at the attempt by car builders to take over sales). Trust me they can't pull it off despite how smart you think they are.
No one's saying dealers should be banned or sent to concentration camps. Just allow everyone to sell to whomever they want -- dealers, customers, or both. Apple doesn't seem to have a problem selling iPhones directly to customers AND to dealers/operators/others. Plenty other products being sold both to dealers and directly to customers. How are cars any different?

I don't understand what you mean by "pull it off". Getting rid of the dealer franchise 'law' (aka extortion racket)? Yes, that would be hard to "pull off", nevertheless it IS the root of the problem and nothing else.

Last edited by hf1; 05-28-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:55 PM
gt-2
Advanced

Originally Posted by hf1
No one's saying dealers should be banned or sent to concentration camps. Just allow everyone to sell to whomever they want -- dealers, customers, or both. Apple doesn't seem to have a problem selling iPhones directly to customers. Plenty other products being sold both to dealers and directly to customers. How are cars any different?

I don't understand what you mean by "pull it off". Getting rid of the dealer franchise 'law' (aka extortion racket)? Yes, that would be hard to "pull off", nevertheless it IS the root of the problem and nothing else.
Its simple.....iPhones are a couple hundred dollars to carry in inventory a piece vs a Porsche? You're not sure why? Extortion racket....funny I have benefited many times based on dealers fighting each other for a deal. No more fight when Porsche sells at same price to everyone, and it's arguable that competition will help much in to consumer prices from manufacturers. Everyone's issue here is simple, flipping cars for profit and it's Porsches beef also

Last edited by gt-2; 05-28-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:17 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
If the car business was direct manufacturer to consumer, the consumer would pay more overall.

The competitive nature of franchised dealers give consumers better pricing they can shop around for. After all, who really pays MSRP for 99.5% of cars out there?

This "GT car issue" isn't really a first world problem. It's the manufacturer limiting supply voluntarily. Write a letter to Porsche and see if they care.

Want a cause to fight about? How about our income taxes and big gov't waste?
+1. It's clear the franchise system has been very good to consumers. Be careful what you wish for (i.e. Direct sales model). Too, dealers are doing EXACTLY what manufacturers wants its dealers to do via incentive programs.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:21 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gt-2
....the small marketing allowance provided back to dealers doesn't come close to what most stores spend in net ad money spent per unit.
Correct. And it's laughable that dealers are "signing up for such programs." The factories are IMPOSING these conditions upon dealers. If trends continue, your local dealer will operate exactly how a factory-operated store would run, including selling cars at MSRP, which is HIGHER than what most people pay, Porsche GT cars notwithstanding.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:22 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
If the car business was direct manufacturer to consumer, the consumer would pay more overall.

The competitive nature of franchised dealers give consumers better pricing they can shop around for. After all, who really pays MSRP for 99.5% of cars out there?
Originally Posted by WernerE
+1. It's clear the franchise system has been very good to consumers. Be careful what you wish for (i.e. Direct sales model). Too, dealers are doing EXACTLY what manufacturers wants its dealers to do via incentive programs.
I think I'll just stop repeating myself. I feel like I'm speaking Mandarin in a Latvian beer bar. You can bring the horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:15 PM
gt-2
Advanced

Originally Posted by hf1
I think I'll just stop repeating myself. I feel like I'm speaking Mandarin in a Latvian beer bar. You can bring the horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
stop trying to sell tainted water and some might drink
Old 05-28-2017, 08:36 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
Did you consider that direct manufacturer to consumer means the manufacturers would be competing directly instead of selling at bulk to dealers. MSRP has profit built in for the dealers not the car manufacturers (the risk of having cars sitting on lots). Presumably with a direct and made-to-order market, everyone would be paying invoice price.
What pays for the $10M+ facilities (and that's before land cost)? Who pays for the personnel? Who pays for the technician training? Tools? This wouldn't be *free* to the manufacturers anymore than it is to the dealers.

Did any of you realize that dealers make 1% to 4% net on total sales? The ROI is fine if you're selling the right brand, doing many things right, the product cycle is new, and you're jumping through all the manufacturer hoops to earn incentive money. If not, you can lose money hand over fist.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:38 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyGT4
IMO the GT3 should never be a "reward" car. Everyone who can afford and wants a GT3 should get one. NO demand-1 stuff, supply should equal demand. If you want to dangle the GT3RS, 997 RS 4.0 etc for the super awesome customers that's fine, but the base GT3 should be available for every track rat and back road dude that can cut the check.
Late to this thread, but this I agree with. GT3's should be an easy get.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:51 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WernerE
What pays for the $10M+ facilities (and that's before land cost)? Who pays for the personnel? Who pays for the technician training? Tools? This wouldn't be *free* to the manufacturers anymore than it is to the dealers.

Did any of you realize that dealers make 1% to 4% net on total sales? The ROI is fine if you're selling the right brand, doing many things right, the product cycle is new, and you're jumping through all the manufacturer hoops to earn incentive money. If not, you can lose money hand over fist.
Yes, that's why there are dozens of dealerships sitting for sale for years on Ebay for $0.01. No one wants them because they're such awful gigs. State rackets are dime a dozen these days, it seems.

For the third time, no one is suggesting that dealers be banned -- just that producers be allowed to sell to whomever they want which is now prohibited by 'dealer franchise laws'.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:09 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Yes, that's why there are dozens of dealerships sitting for sale for years on Ebay for $0.01. No one wants them because they're such awful gigs. State rackets are dime a dozen these days, it seems.

For the third time, no one is suggesting that dealers be banned -- just that producers be allowed to sell to whomever they want which is now prohibited by 'dealer franchise laws'.

What dealer would buy a franchise and invest $10 million in a dealership if the manufacturer could still sell direct to customers and bypass them???

Ummmmmm ... really?
Old 05-28-2017, 09:24 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

You seem like you are trying to make a good point and it should be respected but doesn't hold much credence because it can't co-exist. If dealers are the ultimate sellers to consumers then what are you saying, do away with franchise laws and pick and choose as a manufacturer who you get to sell to? So the manufacturers get to pick which products they want to sell to ultimate consumer and leave the dealers to just sell the tough inventory that isn't moving quickly? Really? How much value would exist to invest in big dealership expenses to bring the level of treatment we all demand? You think any dealer would stay in business? You think the manufacturer would be around long after the dealers are gone when they have to sell the cream of the crap products? I think I speak for many dealers in saying they are open to change the sales model (or modify it) but your wishes aren't realistic. What are you trying to accomplish and what will it solve? Times are great for dealers right now....most are netting before taxes (as was pointed out earlier) 3.5-4.5% of total sales and some even higher but please believe me...times will change and auto business has been up and down since it started. Dealerships are selling at all time highs as crazy multiple on earnings because the car business is red hot NOW!? Lets review this again in 10 years and lets see how many want to pay the current record multiple on earnings for a car dealership. Times won't always be like today and things will be tough again. It only takes a small world event to destroy consumer confidence and send car business into turmoil tomorrow (especially with pressure already showing on SAAR and Trumps position on german auto companies), so dealerships won't always be printing record cash flow!

Last edited by sccchiii; 05-28-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:27 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
What dealer would buy a franchise and invest $10 million in a dealership if the manufacturer could still sell direct to customers and bypass them???

Ummmmmm ... really?
That's exactly my point. I think you got it. A dealership is much less attractive without the 'franchise law' racket.

McDonalds is a franchise, yet there's no 'burger franchise law' prohibiting the sale of burgers without one. It must be because burgers are cheaper than Porsches.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:39 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

easy to fix problem, just like Ford did with GT, you get the allocation, you pick the dealer. problem solved.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:50 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
McDonalds is a franchise, yet there's no 'burger franchise law' prohibiting the sale of burgers without one.
Again not a good example...

A) If burgers are sports cars you currently have same choice of different manufacturers burgers....If you don't want a Porsche burger then go buy a Lamborghini burger?

B) franchise laws still exist for Mcdonald's as burger builder? Mcdonald's can't set up a factory shop in adjacent land next to a franchise Mcdonald's without lots of problems for Mcdonald's? For good reasons I might add?

Wow its getting deep in here with outlandish examples that don't make a valid point?

Quick Reply: Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?