guess things have changed here...will see how it goes later
Old 08-23-2016, 07:23 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Straight pipes required.
Car seems to sit high.
am I really in the minority here? It seems to have a healthy tone when on the loud pedal. Certainly not as loud as a 3RS, but not the Hoover vacuum cleaner muted sound of the Turbo. I do think an x-pipe center muffler delete will make it absolutely perfect though for my liking! I don't think it looks like it sits any higher than the 3RS. But then again, the 3RS sits a little high lol
Originally Posted by longboarder
Thx for the info. My dealer said late 2017 (assuming a 2018 model).

For those with allocations that are the first to have the option to purchase, where do you think dealers are going to price these at? If the 991 GT3 RS is any indication, it will be well over MSRP. How many years did it take for the 997 GT2/RS to start selling at MSRP?
I have no info, so just taking a guess, but I'm going to say $299k start price. probably priced around $330 after adding all the options that you really want. If the 991 3RS is any indication, I'm guessing 100K over and 130-150K over for PTS examples. But to answer your question regarding 997 GT2RS's and how long it took them to get start selling at MSRP, right away. At that point Porsche wasn't in the over MSRP game (with the exception of the 997.1 GT3RS, 997.2GT3RS's mostly went for MSRP due to the horrible economy at the time and many actually went for under MSRP), infact many dealers were actually selling them 10-20k UNDER MSRP. I don't know about all of them, but not one sold for over MSRP that I know about, not saying they all went for msrp or under, just the ones that I know of. That being said, a lot of people who bought them new were VERY tight lipped about what they paid. I have a pretty good eye on the 997GT2RS as it is my absolute favorite 911 to date. I try to catalog every single GT2RS that I see listed for sale etc., not gonna lie, I totally geek out on them and have many of them cataloged on my computer with the specs, series number, VIN and save any and all pics, as well as save the mileage and dollar amount it is being listed for. The 997 GT2RS was very special and because of it, the people who ordered them were treated VERY well and invited to pick up their cars and experience them at the Launch event held at one of two different locations when they were unveiled to their owners, one on the West Coast and one on the East Coast. It was pretty spectacular and predates the 918 VIP program, yet these owners may actually have been made to feel even more special. Check out these vids of their Launch release party. The owners were given the choice to take them home at the launch party or to enjoy them at the launch and then have them shipped to their dealer of choice afterwards. One thing for sure, these cars were very special and their owners were made to feel that way as well. Hard to believe that at one point you could pick one up for as low as 130K in about 2013-2014. The reason they had dropped so low as probably had a lot to do with the economy at the time combined with the anti-Turbo/pro Naturally Aspirated sentiment at the time. Also, since these cars were only available in a manual transmission, they were ruled out by many people. It's hard to believe how much broader the market really is now that PDK is available/standard on these types of cars. The 997 GT2RS was the fastest street legal 911 ever around the Ring, and still holds that record at 7:18. The 991 GT2RS is sure to eclipse that mark, but pretty amazing that it outpaced the much more developed 991 GT3RS by 2 seconds! Basically the only thing that wasn't absolutely amazing about the 997 GT2RS is the stock exhaust. But luckily, the 991 GT2RS seems to have addressed that shortcoming. But even in 997 form, the exhaust was nothing that couldn't be fixed with the help of an aftermarket option such as a Sharkwerks, RSS, GMG etc. center muffler delete. After watching these vids, you realize just how special these cars were and what they meant to Porsche internally and how proud they were of them, even though they kind of went under the radar at the time. I can't wait to see what the 991 GT2RS really has in-store for us!

East Coast Launch (West Palm Beach in South Florida)

West Coast Launch (El Toro Airfield in Southern California)

My favorite GT2RS video of all time, the Top Gear USA review of one. The Drive through the streets of LA is just fantastic!

Last edited by ScottKelly911; 08-23-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:17 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Yup, even Savyboy bought one...

It'll be interesting to see if Porsche spends the same way this time around given what's happening with Dieselgate.

997.2 GT2 RS offered four colors: white, silver, black, red. Any bets on color choices this time around? Hopefully they'll be at least one or two more interesting colors.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:32 AM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope they don't bring back that ridiculous black hood!
Old 08-23-2016, 09:42 AM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed reading your post Scott. I also think mule sounds pretty awesome for bring turbo. It's nothing like the 488 Hoover.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:06 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

488 sounded pretty good to me ****, tho I don't own a 458. Friend just picked one up and drove home behind him. Not a Speciale but I thought it was good for a turbo.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:40 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Straight pipes required.
Straight pipes would make this car.
The turbo whistle at idle would be do it for me
Old 08-24-2016, 12:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

am I really in the minority here? It seems to have a healthy tone when on the loud pedal. Certainly not as loud as a 3RS, but not the Hoover vacuum cleaner muted sound of the Turbo. I do think an x-pipe center muffler delete will make it absolutely perfect though for my liking! I don't think it looks like it sits any higher than the 3RS. But then again, the 3RS sits a little high lol
Doesn't sound bad, but the Turbo's do enough I think, no need for more.
Yes, sits the same as a 3RS I was wondering if they are making changes besides rolling the fenders more.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:08 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

...drooooooooool.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:00 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CHADW
I hope they don't bring back that ridiculous black hood!
It's not black, it's raw Carbon Fiber. But I do understand, it may not be to everyone's liking and maybe a bit boyracer-ish. But personally, I thought it was cool and one of the few things that made it distinguishable over the regular GT2. I'd actually like it to be standard with the raw CF hood and maybe offer a no-cost painted option. I think it's kind of a cool GT2RS only offering and adds quite a bit of contrast. My favorite being the Guards Red with Black wheels. I'd like to see them continue the tradition.
Doesn't sound bad, but the Turbo's do enough I think, no need for more.
Yes, sits the same as a 3RS I was wondering if they are making changes besides rolling the fenders more.

Tuned Porsche 997 GT2 RS LOUD SOUND! - YouTube

Originally Posted by Nizer
Open in separate tab for full size. Nothing new but larger format.
In the second pic and the last pic, you can see that the decklid actually looks like the area where it meets the rear window, looks like it's a big air scoop. Perhaps to direct air into the airbox ala 997.2 3RS since the side scoops will be to feed clean air to the intercoolers. I'm getting so excited about this car, can't wait for it to be unveiled with final figures! Oh and I look forward to seeing what colors it's released in!
Old 09-04-2016, 09:45 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Old 09-07-2016, 05:45 AM
cebe
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Hybrid?

News on the GT2 RS variant have gone quiet lately on the run-up to the presentation of the MK2 GT3 with the long-awaited manual option ...

Some folks in Europe claim thay have reliable source info about the GT2 (RS or not) going Hybrid with about 650 hp termal and about 100 hp electric from the front axle ...
Performance and price would levitate into a different territory (well above 300k € in Europe).

I believe it difficult to see an Hybrid variant of the 991 chassis, but the 992 will most definitely have Hybrid or even full Electric variants.

Any thouhgts?

Will the 991 go out with a version sporting technology from the 918?
Old 09-07-2016, 09:55 AM
boyko23
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

There was such rumour/idea from Porsche, but according to the latest one, 991 won't get this hybrid tech...
Old 09-09-2016, 04:41 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
dealer just told me there will be 133 examples of the GT2 RS for the united states
Thats roughly 400 for the entire world? No way.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:46 PM
MJK-PurpleRS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHADW
Thats roughly 400 for the entire world? No way.
The GT dept is getting worn out, or Germany is low on skilled workers? The supply and demand game continues!!!

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS