Sponsored by:

TRAKCAR does ED

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 08:00 PM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter

The pads that you run are supposed to develop a transfer layer. This improves disc wear. The shutter is most likely down to not running at the ideal brake temp.
But as you told me already, the issue went away later in the day with higher brake temps.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:45 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,684 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Peter. Re the pad transfer issue have had this recently when I did 3 dry track days on new pads (endless = far from endless!!). I think I may have warped the front rotors but was hard to tell as it appears later it may be transfer. I just keep on driving through it and it didn't affect overall brake performance. Threw harder pads on (oem left overs) and it started to clean the issue up nicely ) have now replaced front rotors and put new oem pads on ( original discs had equivalent of perhaps 10 plus track days on them). They could have gone another 2-3 but decided on tbd cautious side. If you have transfer or even run out my advice drive through it. If it's not upsetting abs then it will just give vibration through wheel and pedal and transmit a bit if vibration to cabin but they will still do the job...

Stay safe.
My pad and rotor wear are very impressive so far.. Had a good look yesterday. Having the good fortune of being parked next to a Porsche dealer mechanic, who set up a few RS. Learned quite a bit.

Originally Posted by KA MOTORSPORT
Peter

The pads that you run are supposed to develop a transfer layer. This improves disc wear. The shutter is most likely down to not running at the ideal brake temp.
But as you told me already, the issue went away later in the day with higher brake temps.
Looks like it's staying dry today so it will be completely gone after a couple of laps.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:51 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Packed, just finished work and off to the airport in about 3 hours!

Time has arrived to meet Mr Purple!!!

Exciting times ahead!!!
Old 10-16-2015, 02:57 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
some trips for snow - TC off, pull fuse for ABS (there's a reason Audi quattros came with a switch) and stay in high gear, all comes down to momentum, feel and deftness of reactions- can be great fun if you don't over extend your self i.e keep straight line speed down and avoid the brakes and enjoy the slides through corners at 15mph at max angle of attack.

Hope Chris brings the Ozzy weather with him... not to rub it in its been 30+ last few days (our spring)
I hope so too coz I usually make a concerted effort to escape to warmer climates, not cooler ones, lol... Wish we didn't get the heat spell these past 3 weeks as it would have made the adjustment to the cold easier... winter to... ummm... winter
Old 10-16-2015, 03:43 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rox
Packed, just finished work and off to the airport in about 3 hours!

Time has arrived to meet Mr Purple!!!

Exciting times ahead!!!

It should be warmer Sunday!
Old 10-16-2015, 09:42 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have fun, chris!!
Old 10-16-2015, 09:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Wow, what a couple of days here in Dijon.

Bitterly cold.

Its really hard for me to learn a track in the rain (Snow even) and then the second day unlearn that and figure out this difficult track. Dijon Pernois is one of the most difficult tracks I have ever been to.

Granted; I only did about 30 laps due to 2 red flags this morning and lots of much slower and much faster cars then me on a 1:35 laptime means you have to account for those cars and give them some room. There where AMG GT3 cars, 991 CUP cars, Clio CUP cars etc. but also stock 4cyl BMW's with green drivers..Then I corded my tires at 3PM so done for the day. So maybe it will be better Sunday.

I was really lucky to share a garage box with a bunch of Swiss guys that were super nice. They own a raceshop, one was a Porsche technician and they helped me out a lot.

They jumped in the car with me to show me the line (This is their home track) and were just fun to be around. Funny guys.

I corded my left rear tire and it was only my 3rd track day; 1 day Paul Ricard, one day Dijon slick as snot so no wear and just 20 laps today. This track is coarse, low grip, stupid aggressive on killing tires, crazy cupping of the tires wear. My outer left front is also taking a beating but much less than the rear. Strange because the car understeers out of the corners.

So with chunks of my left rear outside tire missing we go to the onsite Yokohama trailer only to find out that their machine cant handle 21" Great guys but didn't have the equipment.

Its France, Friday 4PM now....

So my new Swiss friends start Googling and hammering away on their phones.
Porsche Dijon; they are too busy, rude and don't give a ****. They have an opening Thursday...
Porsche assistance; call Porsche Dijon, or they send a flatbed... To tow it to Porsche Dijon. So absolutely useless.
Porsche Lyon; no way, to busy screw off. I'm offering to pay any special fee's they can come up with. No go. No suggestions, no interest.

I have 3 track days to go before I get to a Porsche dealer where I do have an appointment....

Start calling BMW, Mercedes dealers. They are now closing at 5PM but at least very friendly and helpful, they give us independent shops that can handle 21". Called them all. None of those wanted to do it..

Finally we get lucky and a Michelin Truck tire place that will do it and will wait for us, we borrow the tools from Yokohama to change CL wheels and drive there. Got is done for 80Euro. 2 new tires installed the right one I kept as a spare in great shape still. The Swiss guys missed their dinner reservation so I took them all out for dinner, we left there at midnight..

According to the Porsche mechanic who was also a very fast driver and who has setup 991's and even has test driven Pre-production test cars with Porsche my alignment is pretty good except for too much caster in the front but he was happy how the tires looked but this track is just crazy. We didn't have the time, but I was now ready to stiffen the rear sway bar up because this is a complex track that can use more car rotation than I am able to get out of the car now. Had high speed understeer that we could have easily fixed but didn't have the time for, hopefully Sunday.

The track is coming to me now, but I have a lot to learn here still and I will have to take it a bit easy on my last rear tires, only a few flyers where I can kill the tires onto the straight..

Anyway, aping some fast drivers in GT3's and even a 991RS (Went home killed his rear tires as well) with some advise from the Swiss guys this is the best I could do today with a 220lb passenger aboard; It was hard work, really look forward to warmer weather and more track time Sunday!!

Old 10-16-2015, 09:51 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,904 Likes on 981 Posts

Wow. Quite the ordeal. At least had some great local knowledge to assist from the sounds of it.

BTW, video doesn't seem to be working.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

French upload speed.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:56 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tyres always an issue when you go over 18's.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Video live now.
These tires are gynormous, than the CL tools required..
Old 10-16-2015, 11:53 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

soon be time to come back to florida and thaw out!
Old 10-17-2015, 03:41 AM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
French upload speed.
Is the internet on vacation in Europe too?
Old 10-17-2015, 06:12 AM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Glad you got everything sorted - as you found, not easy in that part of the world. Hard to imagine they used to race F1 there!

Hopefully we'll have more fun on Sunday. Just about to leave for Dijon now.. See you later!
Old 10-17-2015, 06:20 AM
M3ike
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like you met Beat from FMT?
Last time I drove at Dijon I managed 1.32 min with a passenger in my Frog.
Mike

Quick Reply: TRAKCAR does ED