Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRAKCAR does ED

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 05:49 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

Dave, these guys laugh at us lapping Track days.
There were 10!! RS there full cage, halo seats fill race trim.
Peterfirst told me the fastest GT3 ran 1:53 the best lap for RS was 2:50! I was 4 seconds off the pace
The event reminded me of 48hoursatsebring.com

Just got to the hotel, looks nice around here..
The Ring was hard today, it remains a challenge and after Max Attack tracks like Magny Cours and Hockenheim I wanted to go but you just can't if you want to keep the car in one piece. 3 cars hit the wall today including an Alfa 4C
But we followed GoHardGT3RS in his white GT4 and continue to learn the track, thanks for waiting for us
You can still hear all the scraping, we hit a bump on the Autobahn at about 250 and it even made the car scrape. I'll see if they can raise it a bit more and give me faster numbers.

GoHardGT3RS picks us up at
I'll post a lap tomorrow.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 10-25-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
They've known about the issue since before they even launched the car. AP sound bites in a number of occasions in how hard it was to fit the wheels under there how tight it was and even in one later interview how there could be some rubbing. They had plenty of time to get this sorted as the RS was delayed a year - but I suspect it's actually a design issue.All of this before the first cars reached customer hands. I wonder why journos didn't say anything? Probably why they didn't ever question the 2-400 rpm that had been short changed. The 991 GT3 and RS are both cars that needed more development time IMO. They went too far too fast. The GT3 is overall polished but it's engine was the weakest link. The RS has addressed these weaknesses but it's left a smaller performance advantage and the aero and contact patch were always on the edge of the envelope in terms of what would function without compromise.

AP states next generation will not be huge change. I think this is a confession that they still have some unfinished work to do from this generation myself.

Any recall would surely be ineffective with the liners. Giving stiffer shocks or asking the tech to lift the car by 2cm would only affect performance or upset dynamics. They could re design the liners to reduce the areas they rub?

I think it's just something you live with like GT3 owners live with smoke on start up and consuming half a quart of oil during a hard track day....

On that subject Pete. Curious - how's your track day oil consumption going? Is it still 1/4 quart for a track day? Do you get any smoke in start up when the car has been sitting a few days (I guess hard to say as you have been using if constantly)? Perhaps this is one area they have sorted out properly now.......

Never blue smoke. Burning about 100-200cc per track day.
Car hasn't missed a beat.
I think they can and should modify liners and publish a good middle of the road alignment. I'm uploading a video now and it a lot of rubbing.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 12-11-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:29 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Never blue smoke. Burning about 300cc per track day.
I think they can and should modify liners and publish a good middle of the road alignment. I'm uploading a video now and it a lot of rubbing.
I never saw smoke either and used much less oil than my GT3. I was taking it a lot easier on the RS so jury is still out....
Old 10-24-2015, 09:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Pete. Oil usage seems to have remained consistent then. Im using 350-450cc during a full track day, so it would seem the RS engine at least in your example isn't quite as hungry. I havent had the smoking on start up with the GT3 now for quite a while now (except when its been sitting for periods of a few weeks or more unused). That seems to has resolved itself over time as it has with others.

I have no doubt new guard liners and geo spec will be on their way shortly and should arrest 80% of the issues. I guess the rest is a small price to pay.

4s off the pace of a RS set up for more aggressive track work and being driven in anger is impressive non the less. Im pretty sure in that series everything else remains stock including tyres, but they arent hanging around out there as Ive watched a few race footage from that series earlier in the season. Good work, you should be happy with you time there...
Old 10-25-2015, 05:25 AM
GoHardGT3RS
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Peter, it was great meeting you in person at the Ring yesterday

We had a great trackday with only few cars as well as great weather and safety conditions with all the marshals around the track (you don't have them during the so-called 'Touristenfahrten').

This rubbing issue continues to go through my mind, especially after hearing that the car is rubbing even on flat straights without compressions just because of the downforce applied. Could it be that you have lowered the car vs the stock setup and that it is 'too low'?

I find it so unbelievable, strange and certainly also unacceptable that Porsche is facing this issue on the 991 RS. How can this happen after so many track test kilometers from them, especially on the Ring?!?

BR, Damien
Old 10-25-2015, 06:33 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Great meeting g you Danien, and thanks again!!
No, I RAISED the car about 2 turns front and 4-6 rear.

If I find a tape measure I will measure.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:02 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Just a lap, short track probably leave early back to the Ring.
Fun track though.

Some of the **** that comes out of 911rox mouth, funny ****er.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:48 AM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

got a nice day for it too!
Old 10-25-2015, 08:03 AM
joHey
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey ,
I've seen your car yesterday at the Nordschleife (24 oct) during the Pistenclub trackday.

First time I see an UV GT3RS and I have to admit , it's gorgeous !
You need to see it in person to really appreciate it.

I've recorded (with a phone) your car passing by at Brunchen , I will upload it later .
Old 10-25-2015, 08:24 AM
996CAB
Instructor

So what is the rubbing issue attributed to...?
- too much lowering capability - springs too short?
- lack of compression management capability - shocks compression controls insufficient?
- the wheels just too big in size? - 21" is a monster!...style over function???

IMO, each one of those possible causes will require a different approach to resolve the issue permanently.

I would not be too concerned on the car being released too early or not having enough development time...these 'limited' production cars never do have enough development time...the customer base in real terms are not static and competition is stiff right now.

GT3/GT3RS now has to fend off competition from MacLaren; Ferrari; Aston Martin; Lamborghini; Mercedes who all have competing products - granted, the price does make a difference however as I say...the customer base are not static...IMHO, the desire overrides the need.

Coming back to the rubbing issues, I suspect the resolution may be simpler than any of us may know however with the advent of the NET I suspect the fix by any of these big brands goes like this...;
- deny/ignore commenting on any issues however get the marketing team working hard behind the scenes to highlight product benefits;
- get the many well placed journos working hard behind these scenes to also highlight benefits;
- get engineering/factory to work hard behind the scenes to fix the issue before more cars go out;
- release upgrade and go hard on marketing the fix as FOC 'performance upgrades' and add these to cars in producton as a FOC upgrade;

Works every time...

On the blue smoke at start up, I recall these became prominent with the switch from air-cooled engines many years back (1999/2000) and I had my doubts then that it was a fixable issue...time will tell though. I just see it as a 'trait'...perhaps annoying though probably harmless to the car/engine.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:12 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joHey
Hey ,
I've seen your car yesterday at the Nordschleife (24 oct) during the Pistenclub trackday.

First time I see an UV GT3RS and I have to admit , it's gorgeous !
You need to see it in person to really appreciate it.

I've recorded (with a phone) your car passing by at Brunchen , I will upload it later .

Look forward to my action film :-)
In the way back to the Ring now.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:14 PM
joHey
5th Gear

Look forward to my action film :-)
In the way back to the Ring now.
Can you send me an email adress for the video?
I can't upload directly on the forum or on youtube with the phone.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:16 PM
joHey
5th Gear

Can you give me an email adress to send the video?
I can't upload it directly on the forum or on youtube with the phone.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:21 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Spent the morning at L'anneau Du Rhin, a small regional track in a fairly remote area. The nearby town we stayed at was quite an eye opener with cobblestone lined roads etc... The track itself quite simple in it's setup with a country feel, some technical sections and a fast straight. We managed to get within 2secs of what the locals considered the benchmark time.

Unfortunately we had a near miss with one guy indicating as if to leave for the pits only to remain on track and come frightfully close to clipping us. Too many people of mixed abilities and cars all out at the same time without scrutiny made for some hairy moments. One official even blue flagged us to make way for our own shadow, lol... (See Pete's video) Better organisation would have made things safer but a great place none the less...

Mr Purple made it too easy today and even rewarded us with a matching treat

Old 10-25-2015, 01:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GoHardGT3RS
Hi Peter, it was great meeting you in person at the Ring yesterday

We had a great trackday with only few cars as well as great weather and safety conditions with all the marshals around the track (you don't have them during the so-called 'Touristenfahrten').

This rubbing issue continues to go through my mind, especially after hearing that the car is rubbing even on flat straights without compressions just because of the downforce applied. Could it be that you have lowered the car vs the stock setup and that it is 'too low'?

I find it so unbelievable, strange and certainly also unacceptable that Porsche is facing this issue on the 991 RS. How can this happen after so many track test kilometers from them, especially on the Ring?!?

BR, Damien
Still uploading, Ring laps are long...
Following GoHardGT3RS, he waited for us and picked us up at Bergwerk at 4:30

Back at the Ring now, hooping for more flatout runs on the Autobahn on Sunday but no luck, too much traffic.

L'anneau Du Rhin was fun, we ran some 1.20's, I would have run 1,19's with some clear laps and no ballast in the passenger seat. Will post more shenanigans later, a small track, lors of cars, beginners and fast cars that didn't want to be passed made it tricky. Had a close call and seen some close calls so my gut said lets go back to the Ring :-)

Look forward to more Ring laps tomorrow

Quick Reply: TRAKCAR does ED