Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your 987 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 08:11 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by The Duke
Thanks Zach! Now that the frame has shifted to headers rather than a cat back exhaust, I've been thinking about Fabspeed catted headers.

My only concern - other than price - is that I thought I read somewhere that they can cause CEL related issues. I do not know why this would be true, but it's something that I'd need to mentally resolve before moving forward.
There's a big distinction here between 987.1 and 987.2... the .2 cars have a much more sensitive emissions system. Many with the high-flow 'sport' catted headers still get a CEL on the .2 cars. Even with mini-cat O2 extensions, the .2 cars will still throw a CEL after a few hundred miles.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:42 PM
jazztrip
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Baoluan
what do you record this with that has track data and all the speedo and brake info?
I use an AIM SoloDL to collect the data and and AIM SmartyCamHD to capture the video. The SoloDL is connected directly to power and the CAN Bus in the car so it gets lots of information there. The SoloDL has 10hz GPS which it uses to generate speed track position, G forces etc. The SoloDL is also connected via cable to the SmartyCamHD which means the data overlays you see in the video are placed on the video in real time. So at the end of a session you can pop the memory card out of the SmartyCamHD and into a laptop and see the same video that you see here; i.e. no post-processing is needed.

One great thing about this setup is no messing about is needed to get the to AIM devices going; I just start the car and they both power up and are ready to go. They start collecting data once the car moves and stop when the car stops at the end of a session.

I should point out that the SoloDL captures A TON of information; much more than you see in the video. AIM has software to do data analysis after each session/day. I have used this info to identify places to improve my lap times :-) The example below shows of some of the data available.

I should also point out this solution isn't cheap; IIRC around $1000.00 . THere's also the Garmin Catalyst which has similar features, also several hundred dollars. I started with an app for my cell phone called Harry's Laptimer (<$100).

Check out: https://www.aim-sportline.com

Last edited by jazztrip; 03-21-2023 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:25 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default CEL

FWIW,,no CEL w/Soul w/200 cell HKS, FD cans and Softronics ecu from day 1….
Old 03-22-2023, 08:06 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
There's a big distinction here between 987.1 and 987.2... the .2 cars have a much more sensitive emissions system. Many with the high-flow 'sport' catted headers still get a CEL on the .2 cars. Even with mini-cat O2 extensions, the .2 cars will still throw a CEL after a few hundred miles.
I assume that the above applies 2X to your car with catless headers?

Does one just have to learn to live with it?

Based on @Van Larson 's comments there may be an element of randomness to it tripping the CEL?

My tolerance for this is low. I may have to revert to my plan for CAT back and lose HP.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:07 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

I assume that the above applies 2X to your car with catless headers?

Does one just have to learn to live with it?

Based on @Van Larson 's comments there may be an element of randomness to it tripping the CEL?

My tolerance for this is low. I may have to revert to my plan for CAT back and lose HP.
I haven't tried running 200-cell yet on a 987.2 but I've heavily researched it as the Sport headers are crazy expensive and last thing I'd want is to spend that much to have a CEL same as I would with catless. If you look back at threads about this here on RL or look at posts on FB, you will have a ton of people saying they're running 200-cell without a CEL, but you'll find almost if not all of them are driving a 987.1 car. Folks with 987.2 often report still having a CEL with the 200-cell headers. Several tried running the Fabspeed mini-cats and some have still gotten a CEL. My expectation was that if I ran 200-cell catted headers along with mini-cat extensions on the O2 sensors, I'd have a 50/50 chance of getting a CEL. Because of this, some people in my area just run the catless then find a workaround (swapping back to OEM headers for each inspection, paying off an inspection station, or using a tune that writes out the CEL).
Old 03-23-2023, 06:03 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

I haven't tried running 200-cell yet on a 987.2 but I've heavily researched it as the Sport headers are crazy expensive and last thing I'd want is to spend that much to have a CEL same as I would with catless. If you look back at threads about this here on RL or look at posts on FB, you will have a ton of people saying they're running 200-cell without a CEL, but you'll find almost if not all of them are driving a 987.1 car. Folks with 987.2 often report still having a CEL with the 200-cell headers. Several tried running the Fabspeed mini-cats and some have still gotten a CEL. My expectation was that if I ran 200-cell catted headers along with mini-cat extensions on the O2 sensors, I'd have a 50/50 chance of getting a CEL. Because of this, some people in my area just run the catless then find a workaround (swapping back to OEM headers for each inspection, paying off an inspection station, or using a tune that writes out the CEL).
Zach - thanks very much. @Fabspeed Motorsport What are your thoughts?

To summarize - I have a 987.2 Cayman S and I've become convinced that catted headers will be my straightest path to more hp. I have a low tolerance for CELs, and I have read reports - including the above - that 200-cell headers and 987.2 may not play well together.

Can you tell me why my fears are misplaced?
Old 03-24-2023, 12:09 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 437 Posts

Zach - thanks very much. @Fabspeed Motorsport What are your thoughts?

To summarize - I have a 987.2 Cayman S and I've become convinced that catted headers will be my straightest path to more hp. I have a low tolerance for CELs, and I have read reports - including the above - that 200-cell headers and 987.2 may not play well together.

Can you tell me why my fears are misplaced?
Happy to chime in!
We guarantee no catalyst inefficiency related CEL' on our Sport Headers, as well as double HJS' warranty on the cores themselves! Our 987.2 Boxster Spyder, for example, is running its original set of headers that we installed in 2013, with no lights, and the cores are looking strong.

When in doubt, I strongly caution against buying used cats. You never know the level of abuse the cores have suffered (i.e. race fuel, flame tunes, etc). I will also add that for those that do not know, Fabspeed is the solely licensed retailer and authorized distributor of HJS cats in North and South America and has been for over 15 years now. As with any industry gold standard, there are countless counterfeit and gray market products sold by vendors, my best suggestion is to be vigilant and request that vendors supply you with their reseller/distribution authorization!

Old 03-24-2023, 01:04 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Happy to chime in!
We guarantee no catalyst inefficiency related CEL' on our Sport Headers, as well as double HJS' warranty on the cores themselves! Our 987.2 Boxster Spyder, for example, is running its original set of headers that we installed in 2013, with no lights, and the cores are looking strong.

When in doubt, I strongly caution against buying used cats. You never know the level of abuse the cores have suffered (i.e. race fuel, flame tunes, etc). I will also add that for those that do not know, Fabspeed is the solely licensed retailer and authorized distributor of HJS cats in North and South America and has been for over 15 years now. As with any industry gold standard, there are countless counterfeit and gray market products sold by vendors, my best suggestion is to be vigilant and request that vendors supply you with their reseller/distribution authorization!
@Fabspeed Motorsport Is this John? If not, thank you very much nameless Fabspeed rep!

I feel reassured by what you've written.

I will be in touch soon!

Last edited by The Duke; 03-24-2023 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:30 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Our 987.2 Boxster Spyder, for example, is running its original set of headers that we installed in 2013, with no lights, and the cores are looking strong.
You guys running a factory tune on that car?
Old 03-25-2023, 05:19 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 267 Posts

Finally replaced my CDR30. See post #17 in the thread linked below.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...s-to-go-2.html

DaveGee

Old 03-26-2023, 12:11 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 115 Posts

Cut out the front fenders to make room for 285s, added oil pressure and temp sensors at the oil filter, and corner balanced…

Old 03-26-2023, 12:50 AM
Glue Guy
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
Cut out the front fenders to make room for 285s, added oil pressure and temp sensors at the oil filter, and corner balanced…

you’ve been busy!

as for me, I replaced this…

Ive been putting off this project since I bought the car in June. With the help of YouTube, it really wasn’t that bad.
The following users liked this post:
Slakker (03-28-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 07:17 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Our 987.2 Boxster Spyder, for example, is running its original set of headers that we installed in 2013, with no lights, and the cores are looking strong.
@Fabspeed Motorsport are you guys running a factory tune on that car?
The following users liked this post:
The Duke (03-28-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 10:23 AM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 437 Posts

@Fabspeed Motorsport are you guys running a factory tune on that car?
It goes back and forth a decent amount as it's our guinea pig, but typically for testing purposes, we keep it on the stock file.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:34 AM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

It goes back and forth a decent amount as it's our guinea pig, but typically for testing purposes, we keep it on the stock file.
Thanks - this is good to know.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your 987 today?