Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your 987 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 09:03 PM
ochristofferson
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Finished installing and road testing the UAOS (with some modifications) with oil drain on my 06 CS . Yea!

Old 03-10-2023, 10:07 PM
N_Jay
Rennlist Member

Received 1,624 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by plafondles
How do we know the car being dyno'd is actual a car? You need at least three opinions from experts before you can, in fact, claim what you have is actual a car. Wake up sheeple.
Troll alert
The following users liked this post:
plafondles (03-11-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 01:37 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by plafondles
How do we know the car being dyno'd is actual a car? You need at least three opinions from experts before you can, in fact, claim what you have is actual a car. Wake up sheeple.
Haha I love the conspiracy theorists... what a way to live lol

Originally Posted by sectachrome
What you're implying with that analogy is that the same business who runs the dyno also manufacturers and/or sells the headers. The headers were bought used. The dyno place....you know what never mind
Yep, exactly.

Last edited by Zach L; 03-13-2023 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-15-2023, 07:28 AM
Goonfather
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ochristofferson
Finished installing and road testing the UAOS (with some modifications) with oil drain on my 06 CS . Yea!
I've been thinking about taking the same approach and painting my Porsche lettering on the engine (I've got a clear engine cover) - Any advice on paint/how to go about it neatly?
Old 03-15-2023, 08:20 PM
ochristofferson
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonfather
I've been thinking about taking the same approach and painting my Porsche lettering on the engine (I've got a clear engine cover) - Any advice on paint/how to go about it neatly?
It's pretty easy.
1) Properly clean out the recessed letters (remove dust, pollen, dirt, etc with solvent - and an old toothbrush if really dirty- you can use stove alcohol or even brake clean). Let air dry.
2) No need to tape off or mask - you're not going to spray paint this thing.
2) Find a good white (or whatever color you chose) enamel solvent based paint. No latex paint - hobby paints work fine.
3) Dab or using a very fine artist's brush or even a tooth pick, dab/partially fill the recessed lettering by touching the bottom of the recess with your brush. The paint will flow off the brush and spread by itself - no need to touch the sides - just let it cover the bottom of the recess. You do not need to completely fill the recesses.
4) Let dry
5) Enjoy!

HTH

Last edited by ochristofferson; 03-15-2023 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-16-2023, 04:51 AM
Goonfather
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ochristofferson
It's pretty easy.
1) Properly clean out the recessed letters (remove dust, pollen, dirt, etc with solvent - and an old toothbrush if really dirty- you can use stove alcohol or even brake clean). Let air dry.
2) No need to tape off or mask - you're not going to spray paint this thing.
2) Find a good white (or whatever color you chose) enamel solvent based paint. No latex paint - hobby paints work fine.
3) Dab or using a very fine artist's brush or even a tooth pick, dab/partially fill the recessed lettering by touching the bottom of the recess with your brush. The paint will flow off the brush and spread by itself - no need to touch the sides - just let it cover the bottom of the recess. You do not need to completely fill the recesses.
4) Let dry
5) Enjoy!

HTH
Here's me overthinking it! Thanks for that rundown. Will stop by the hobby shop on the way home!
Old 03-17-2023, 07:40 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

@Zach L I'm moving our exhaust discussion out of the 987s FS thread and back to where it belongs.

What make of catless headers do you have?

If I make the move to headers I would need to get catted, but I'd be happy to leverage any analysis that you've already done to identify a brand.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:57 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by The Duke
@Zach L I'm moving our exhaust discussion out of the 987s FS thread and back to where it belongs.

What make of catless headers do you have?

If I make the move to headers I would need to get catted, but I'd be happy to leverage any analysis that you've already done to identify a brand.
I'm running the Fabspeed catless race headers (the later version with equal-length long-tube runners). Picked them up lightly used from a local guy bringing his car back to stock prior to sale.

The major cities in Texas (including Austin where I'm at) require emissions inspection so I swapped them on a year ago right after passing inspection. About to get inspection done again so I'll either need to swap back on the factory headers or move to some catted 'sport' headers. I refuse to pay almost $4,000 for some catted headers though. Just missed a lightly used set that sold here on RL for $1,900.

The plan is to dyno the car again once I get some 200-cell catted headers on the car. That'll show stock/catless/sport headers all on the same graph. I'm expecting the catted 'sport' headers to have about 70-80% of the gain over stock as the catless headers.
AdamB996 (04-02-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 02:36 PM
Akabeko
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My recently acquired 987.1 S has been stuck in the shop for the last few weeks. I was getting some preventative maintenance done, and it turns out that at some point under previous ownership the shifter cable mounting tabs had broken and then had been cable tied/clamped back together instead of being replaced. So, I went ahead and ordered a numeric SSK and cables and it's taking awhile for them to arrive. I was ok with the wait while the weather has been bad (I live in NH), but we've had a few warm days and I'm getting antsy to get out there and drive.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:25 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zach L
I'm running the Fabspeed catless race headers (the later version with equal-length long-tube runners). Picked them up lightly used from a local guy bringing his car back to stock prior to sale.

The major cities in Texas (including Austin where I'm at) require emissions inspection so I swapped them on a year ago right after passing inspection. About to get inspection done again so I'll either need to swap back on the factory headers or move to some catted 'sport' headers. I refuse to pay almost $4,000 for some catted headers though. Just missed a lightly used set that sold here on RL for $1,900.

The plan is to dyno the car again once I get some 200-cell catted headers on the car. That'll show stock/catless/sport headers all on the same graph. I'm expecting the catted 'sport' headers to have about 70-80% of the gain over stock as the catless headers.
Thanks Zach! Now that the frame has shifted to headers rather than a cat back exhaust, I've been thinking about Fabspeed catted headers.

My only concern - other than price - is that I thought I read somewhere that they can cause CEL related issues. I do not know why this would be true, but it's something that I'd need to mentally resolve before moving forward.
Old 03-20-2023, 10:16 PM
Stash987
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Zach! Now that the frame has shifted to headers rather than a cat back exhaust, I've been thinking about Fabspeed catted headers.

My only concern - other than price - is that I thought I read somewhere that they can cause CEL related issues. I do not know why this would be true, but it's something that I'd need to mentally resolve before moving forward.
I have catted Fabspeed headers, no CEL issues.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:02 PM
jazztrip
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 40 Posts

I spent the past two days with my '09 CS at Motorsport Ranch in Cresson Texas running on their 3.1 mile configuration which is, IMO, one of the best layouts in Texas. My best lap (2:25.3) shaved .4 sec off my previous PB. What's interesting (and a little frustrating) is my second fastest lap of the weekend was 2.2 seconds faster than my PB part way through then I slowly let it slip away. That's why we keep going back. This video was my "Check Ride" to move into the Advanced run group with this particular organization.

Old 03-20-2023, 11:20 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stash987
I have catted Fabspeed headers, no CEL issues.
@Stash987 Thanks for representing!

Are you happy with this mod?

How long have you had them and what Cayman model and engine?

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2023, 09:36 AM
Stash987
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

@Stash987 Thanks for representing!

Are you happy with this mod?

How long have you had them and what Cayman model and engine?

Thanks!
I have an 06 CS. The previous owner installed them with the Fabspeed valved cat back shortly before I purchased the car. I've owned the car for close to 2 years. I am very happy with them.

The Duke (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 05:23 PM
Baoluan
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jazztrip
I spent the past two days with my '09 CS at Motorsport Ranch in Cresson Texas running on their 3.1 mile configuration which is, IMO, one of the best layouts in Texas. My best lap (2:25.3) shaved .4 sec off my previous PB. What's interesting (and a little frustrating) is my second fastest lap of the weekend was 2.2 seconds faster than my PB part way through then I slowly let it slip away. That's why we keep going back. This video was my "Check Ride" to move into the Advanced run group with this particular organization.

what do you record this with that has track data and all the speedo and brake info?

Quick Reply: What did you do with your 987 today?