Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987's for sale in the wild..

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 03:35 PM
lain09
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

The market seem to have gone up a bit over 5-8k for the 987.2 base and even more for the 987.2S and the 981 so your data looks pretty accurate reflection of the current market if we assume average mileage at 50-70k. When I was in the market January last year, I also kept a spreadsheet and the below range was the market given the cars are at ~50k mileage.
987.1 base 20k
987.1 S 25-30k
987.2 base 25-30k
987.2 S 30-35k
981 base 35-40k

Schwinn is correct in that there were deals to be found through Carvana but they seem to have caught up with the market. It was hard to get one through them anyway because they'd be gone so quick if one did come up. I still think about the 987.2S for 32k that popped up on there.
I ended up buying a 987.2 base with 44k miles for 28k with a clean record. It had fresh Cayman R springs, Bilstein B8 shocks, 19" OZ Wheels with Porsche center caps and bunch of maintenance items which I justified was worth the slight bump from the ~25k I wanted to stay at. On unexpected maintenance items, I spent an additional 2k for a leaking power steering line, pulley and AOS while they were in there. Options also matters much more than other brands as you expect - Bi-Xenon, heated seats, and auto-dimming mirrors were very desirable to me.
The base seem to still be underlooked as everyone's focused on getting the "S" but the base has a shorter 1-2 gear ratio and no carbon buildup issues. It also gets the same brakes as the S, it's just not painted red. It's worth a hunt for a good example.
Old 01-16-2022, 05:22 PM
scootr
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts

For the wife I would get a base 987.2 with as low miles as you can find and don't look back. She will love the car and you for finding it
I don't see these cars coming down in value. They are just too dam good and 987.2s are few and far between. GL with the search.
P.S.
I gave 38k for a 2011 example fully loaded, low mile, creampuff 18 months ago. Be cautious buying from Carvana. Lots of legal problems right now.
Looks like they are failing to produce titles. Possibly loosing their dealership license in several states soon. I found mine at a Porsche dealer and addad a warranty for the life of the loan at 1k per year.

Last edited by scootr; 01-16-2022 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:47 AM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts

Just to add about Carvana. Yes, they are having issues with titles and such... they always have had such problems, from what I read. I had issues with my registration/plates... I didn't for the title. That said, I did have to go to the DMV myself at one point, to fix their screwup, but they ended up paying for it all. Maybe I got lucky, but remember that the news you hear is often just the bad info... they seem to be relatively successful.

Take a look at my thread as I detailed the entire interaction there: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...ed-my-car.html

Certainly, with ANY purchase you need to be careful, but I much prefer the Carvana model (return within 7 days, and 100 day warranty) as this is better than what any dealer around me would offer... it worked out well for me!
Old 01-17-2022, 11:17 AM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Continue To Add To The List

I’ve added Carvana and Vroom to my list of candidates. I must say that Carvana has some really nice cars but on the pricey side. I agree that the 5 day return and 100 day warranty add to the value of their service. Speak about service, they also show the whole Carfax without having to buy each one. The Carfax shows the self ie records and I was surprised to find some of the cars were serviced at my local dealer. I’m now looking at a few 981s. Certainly getting pricey pushing 50.

All Boxsters Through 2019

Old 01-17-2022, 02:32 PM
scootr
Racer

Originally Posted by Schwinn
Just to add about Carvana. Yes, they are having issues with titles and such... they always have had such problems, from what I read. I had issues with my registration/plates... I didn't for the title. That said, I did have to go to the DMV myself at one point, to fix their screwup, but they ended up paying for it all. Maybe I got lucky, but remember that the news you hear is often just the bad info... they seem to be relatively successful.

Take a look at my thread as I detailed the entire interaction there: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...ed-my-car.html

Certainly, with ANY purchase you need to be careful, but I much prefer the Carvana model (return within 7 days, and 100 day warranty) as this is better than what any dealer around me would offer... it worked out well for me!

You may be right, Cavana may be okay but I would be hesitant after reading this > https://carbuzz.com/news/carvana-is-...asy-resolution

Also do your research know the various models. Learn which models introduced what changes. Then determine which changes you want in your new car so you can narrow down your search to a year/model. The chart above is sort of going all over the map from IMS cars to DFI engines, 4 bangers and turbos.... You tube is a great source of ride along education. GL with your search

Last edited by scootr; 01-17-2022 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:22 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by scootr
You may be right, Cavana may be okay but I would be hesitant after reading this > https://carbuzz.com/news/carvana-is-...asy-resolution
I'm not arguing that things aren't perfect. But note that the person there had issues getting plates. As I said, this is a common complaint. Carvana uses a third party who seems to screw this up often. In my thread, I detailed how they gave me the wrong plate (new instead of transfer, which costs about $250 more). So, as I said, I had to go to the DMV and get it fixed. Cost me $10, but Carvana did reimburse me fully in the end. Bottom line, I was able to go to the DMV and get things squared away much faster than waiting for Carvana to fix it. This was actually their recommended action, so I went with it. That said, I wonder how someone can wait 455 days for this to happen, when a trip to the DMV might fix it quickly? I don't know the details of the person in the article, nor do I know if things can be easy in their state. I was pleasantly surprised with how easy my state made it (aside from the long COVID lines, of course).

Bottom line, expect the plates to be an issue... but you may be able to get this done with a trip to the DMV...

Also do your research know the various models. Learn which models introduced what changes. Then determine which changes you want in your new car so you can narrow down your search to a year/model. The chart above is sort of going all over the map from IMS cars to DFI engines, 4 bangers and turbos.... You tube is a great source of ride along education. GL with your search
For sure... you need to know the car very well, and what to look for. Ideally, get a PPI (which you can typically do quite easily during the 7 day period, as I did) just for an extra set of eyes. And then be sure to drive it during those 7 days to get a feel and ear to the car. A good reference I found was on the other forum, where they have a 987 guide, for example. I imagine there might be one here as well?

And, as one user suggested from his purchase on ANY car ... test EVERYTHING. It may not happen at delivery, but be sure to test as much as you can. I forget who posted this, but there was a great post here or on the other forum that went through a lot of this... I'd recommend that for ANY purchase of ANY car, even one from a dealer.

And, of course, ask around the forums... that's what we're here for, after all!
Old 01-17-2022, 07:46 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Ok, we pulled the trigger. My better half now has a perfect, and I mean perfect, 2005 Boxster S with 45k miles on the clock. As we have a tradition that the owner doesn’t drive the car home the dry first time, Man, is the M6 fun!

Last edited by vanlieremead; 01-17-2022 at 07:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by vanlieremead:
Cayman292 (01-18-2022), Diamond Dave (10-14-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 08:28 PM
scootr
Racer

Sweeet Nice looking Boxster too
Old 01-18-2022, 03:37 PM
Rock Hopper
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2006 S 6 speed is up for sale. 5k original miles (5,107 miles to be exact) and is in perfect condition. By perfect I mean not a scratch or scuff-museum quality. Posted on Craigslist- https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...425718448.html

I've run out of storage and it needs to go to an enthusiast that will use it. No accidents, clear title, all records and fully optioned. Never driven in the rain or left outside. I doubt if you could find a 2006 in better condition, it is flawless. There is not a mark on the car-anything that looks like a "mark" is simply a light reflection in the photo). Just thought I would put it out there in case anyone here is interested in acquiring a 2006 that is in actual showroom condition..

Contact me if you wish to discuss. Thanks~

The following users liked this post:
Schwinn (01-19-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 04:04 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rock Hopper
My 2006 S 6 speed is up for sale. 5k original miles (5,107 miles to be exact) and is in perfect condition. By perfect I mean not a scratch or scuff-museum quality. Posted on Craigslist- https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...425718448.html

I've run out of storage and it needs to go to an enthusiast that will use it. No accidents, clear title, all records and fully optioned. Never driven in the rain or left outside. I doubt if you could find a 2006 in better condition, it is flawless. There is not a mark on the car-anything that looks like a "mark" is simply a light reflection in the photo). Just thought I would put it out there in case anyone here is interested in acquiring a 2006 that is in actual showroom condition..
sure looks to be. Very nice.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:12 PM
KrisA
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 127 Posts

Here's someone's chance to own a nearly new 2.9L 987.2 Cayman:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28461857765...AAAOSwq1xh65UK

Less than 5000 miles, from the lousy pictures it looks pretty mint. $46,000 which is quite a bit less than a new 718, and it comes with 2 extra cylinders and iconic styling! If I was in the market in the US I'd consider snapping this up.
The following users liked this post:
sectachrome (01-27-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 08:47 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

2011 Porsche Cayman 6-Speed for sale on BaT Auctions - ending January 27 (Lot #64,385) | Bring a Trailer
Old 01-25-2022, 11:21 PM
arne
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Love the blue, but can't live with sand beige interior.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:05 PM
RedSled113
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi,

I'm searching for a clean 987 gen 2. Must be a manual transmission and S model and no prior accidents.

If you have one and are thinking of selling or you know of any currently for sale, I'd really apprecate the heads up.

Feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

Last edited by RedSled113; 02-04-2022 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:25 PM
SlimZ
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

if anyone is considering to sell their Cayman, please PM me. Should be 987 gen 2 or 981 manual and S version with low miles (less than 40K). I would consider a base version also for the right price but it should be manual.

Thank you

Quick Reply: 987's for sale in the wild..