Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carvana - looking for tips/advice as I pre-ordered "my?" car

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 09:12 AM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Carvana - looking for tips/advice as I pre-ordered "my?" car

Long time lurker here... been looking for my Boxster, and I may have found it?

Car is a 2010 Boxster Base (I've driven the S and was not impressed for the premium price... being used to motorcycles, I don't mind wringing it out!). Meteor gray, black interior.

I'm not fully familiar with the Carvana process, but I put down a $100 refundable deposit. I'm going to lean on the return policy to be sure the car is fine, of course. I've heard the policy is reliable, so I figure I'll find out (yeesh, scary!)

Carfax shows good detail, including that the plugs were replaced at 40k (car has 72k now)... and has had a lot of recorded maintenance as well. It was also a california car (great for me, here in CT, so I can mess it up, haha).

My plan is to check out the inspection (they haven't done it yet) then I expect they'll make me commit one way or the other. Then I can receive the car (I plan to trade in my car... I assume they'll pick it up at the same time?). Once I get the car, I can drive it and see how it feels and take it for a PPI locally to make sure it's really fine. If all is good, I'm all set... if not, I get to play with the return policy.

Price is ok... not ideal, but the car meets all my needs (colors, manual, 987.2, bluetooth, climate control, smaller wheels (I don't want 19s due to potholes, etc). I'd post a link to the car, but there's not much info yet. I did a VINAnalytics check to see what it really is, and that's what I've based the deposit on.

Only other thing amiss is that the vehicle only has one key. I assume it's not crazy-hard to get a second? I figure that requires a trip to the dealer...?

Again if anyone has any advice or other info, please do let me know... I need to learn fast, so good or bad news is welcome! I'd rather be told I'm making a mistake instead of finding out the hard way!
Old 01-06-2021, 01:03 PM
JamesBaxter
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 116 Posts

Hey, you can check out my thread as well as I have a car set for delivery from Carvana tomorrow. I did not pre-order it, though, so can't speak to that. Some things I learned through a lot of Google:

1. Don't be surprised/disappointed if delivery gets delayed. Sounds like it's coming from cross country. Mine is as well, but I luckily had no delays.

2. Inspect and take for a test drive before accepting delivery. They don't withdraw funds/the deal isn't done until you sign. If something is obviously wrong, like evidence of an accident, a bad noise in the engine, etc., I would just reject delivery. Make sure you take good photos and documentation of any additional damage beyond what was noted in their inspection (rock chips scratches, tears, etc.). I have heard if you raise enough of a ruckus they will cut you a check to remedy it.

3. You're getting a PPI right away which is good. I've read that Silver Rock, their warranty company, will cover needed repairs. Again, may need to raise a ruckus and get your 7 days extended to ensure any fixes are to your satisfaction.

4. Reading my purchase contract, I see nothing that says the shipping fee is nonrefundable. It says that in their FAQs, but if it's not in the contract...additionally, I've read some places online saying if you return the car you get ALL your money back.
The following users liked this post:
Schwinn (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 01:14 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the quick reply. My car has no shipping fee (so maybe it's already on this coast, who knows). I'll keep that in mind for future purchases, if needed. I assumed it was non-refundable, but this one is free, so I'll take it!

Good point on the test drive before accepting delivery. Makes sense. I need to start a checklist for the delivery day for myself, so I don't forget these nuances!

I'll be trading in my car, and the website says they hold onto the car until after the 7 days, so we'll see how that goes. Are you trading in?

Keep us informed on the rest of your process... I'll certainly be watching. (You didn't link your thread, so for others, here it is: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...n-transit.html ). I'm already watching that thread, so at least I didn't miss it!

Any other tips are welcome... these are great already!
Old 01-06-2021, 01:19 PM
JamesBaxter
Rennlist Member

I am not trading in, so can't speak to that. I believe they take it on the same day they deliver, then if you decide to return the car they have to return your trade in to you. Hopefully will have more updates tomorrow!

Oh, maybe this is CA specific, but they did mention sometimes they can't complete smog at their facility due to volume, etc. so they will ask that the customer smog the car and they'll reimburse. Given the PITA with these cars with the location of the emissions sticker, I told them I'd rather just delay delivery so they could do *everything* they need to do to get the car registered. I don't want to deal with that.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:38 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yeah, the website says the same about tradein... just kinda scary see my car go away during the 7-day period. Fortunately, due to COVID, we can survive without it if needed... haha.

No issue about smog mentioned yet. Again, I'm in pre-order stage so maybe that's why. Even still, CT doesn't have tailpipe checks anyway - they do the OBD check and that's about it. So I expect it will be fine.

I have seen cars on the road here with Carvana "plates" on them and license-plate-surrounds too. So I figure they must know what they're doing by now, right?
Old 01-06-2021, 04:20 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,456 Likes on 520 Posts

I bought a 981 from Carvana 2 months ago. The process went smoothly. I read a lot of negative reviews of Carvana online and as such was nervous but as usual the internet proved to be the official home of the loud and unhappy. Delivery was on time, the car was in amazing shape, my registration and title arrived quickly. I probaly paid $1-2k over a private sale but having a week to evaluate the car risk-free made that a fair trade for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by remington:
bigmoguls (04-12-2021), Schwinn (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 05:12 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 630 Posts

Had a freind go through caravana. They took the first car back without hassle. The process went so smoothly he took a chance on another car which he kept.
The following users liked this post:
Schwinn (01-06-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 06:06 PM
JamesBaxter
Rennlist Member

Just posted an update in my thread....the short of it was the car was in much worse condition than advertised and a check engine oil level light came on during the test drive. I ran for the hills.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:52 AM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hello all, again. Still waiting for pictures on this car at Carvana.

I was thinking (and looking) for info on higher-mileage Boxsters. This car has 72k... I'm not that concerned with mileage in general... almost every car I've had has made it over 100k, most over 150k before I got bored with them. But with this car, should I be more aware/concerned? I haven't seen many issues posted here for high mileage, but am I jumping too fast too far with this one?
Old 01-09-2021, 12:46 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 495 Likes on 363 Posts

So many variables on a high mileage car. Porsche like any other car can accumulate a significant amount of deferred maintenance that can get pricey unless you can do major DIY. Spark plugs, serpentine belt, air and cabin filter, rotors, pads, brake fluid, tires and battery all should have been replaced at least once. PDKs should have a fluid change. Manuals might have clutch issues. You need a good PPI that can check the suspension and any evidence of accident damage. Depending on the year some cars have an IMS bearing and potential bore scouring. 2009 and later cars do not have an IMS bearing or bore scouring issues. As with any car the front end is subject to paint chips from large and small stones and sand. A respray is not too expensive, but matching colors can be an issue. Boxster convertible tops last a long time, but if always left in the sun they. especially the early plastic window, deteriorate and are not cheap to replace. Interior wear and tear can be hugely different depending on the use and care.

The list goes on. If there is a local Porsche dealer or independent with Porsche suggest a visit just to look if you have not already done so. Find your local PCA chapter Cars and Coffee, autocross and track events is a good way to see different cars, but with COVID not a current option

I sold my 09 Boxster and bought my current 2013 Boxster S off the internet with a PPI because it had all the options plus a few more that I wanted. You need to decide what options are a must have. IMO Sport Chrono or added Sport/Sport+ (09-12) is a must have for PDKs. Seat ventilation is another for me.

Be patient but ready to pull the trigger on the right car. You will enjoy.
Old 01-09-2021, 12:50 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I used to be a big fan of Carmax - I bought an amazing e46 M3 from them after looking at several years ago. The warranty was incredible - take to BMW dealer, anything that ever went wrong they covered and it was crazy inexpensive. Went back to the well to try to buy either a Cayenne S or a pickup at one point and tried them again and Carvana and had really, really bad experiences with the quality of cars. I think a big part of that is the used car market isn't what it used to be - well cared for used cars are in demand at a premium and they have a hard time getting them.

That said, with the low deposit/return policy there is little risk.

As for your question on the car, if well taken care of that is not very high for a 987.2 IMHO.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:48 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies. As I said, I'm not afraid of higher mileage in general, just wanted to know if there were things I need to beware of for THESE cars. Sounds like there isn't anything specific here... which is fine. I know used cars in general, so I will be fine looking carefully (assuming the "Porsche goggles" don't get me, haha. I'm also planning to do an inspection at the dealer (during the 7-day period) so even if I miss something, they should see it as well.

Thanks for the info on the warranty - I've been reading and hear that SilverRock isn't great to work with, but Carvana does try to help. Many people have had decent success with getting real repairs handled, so that's good to hear, in general. Of course, as JamesBaxter mentioned, body shop work at PepBoys is not ideal... most of the other reviews said they were able to bring the car to real shops (I don't even thing PepBoys does bodywork, but whatever). Anyway, we'll see... I'll be careful in general!

Anyone else with input on Carvana, their warranty, and/or higher mileage concerns, feel free to continue to comment!
Old 01-09-2021, 10:09 PM
cbeck44
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Been waiting for inspection and pictures since an a hold order on Jan 2 (an SL-550). They seem really behind with no way to know how long a wait from a reserved car. Someone on Reddit says they have waited a month...
Old 01-10-2021, 10:44 AM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cbeck44
Been waiting for inspection and pictures since an a hold order on Jan 2 (an SL-550). They seem really behind with no way to know how long a wait from a reserved car. Someone on Reddit says they have waited a month...
Good to know... I won't hold my breath, haha! Again, I was happy to see that they finished their "inspection" and are now going towards "reconditioning" and "detailing"... so, in theory, it shouldn't take that long. However, as I've been watching Boxsters there for a while, I can see others that I've passed on still saying "coming soon" so I agree with you, it will take some time. I'm not in a rush (it's cold here in CT anyway) so I can wait, but I will certainly keep looking everywhere as I have been doing... in case something else pops up!
Old 01-10-2021, 12:04 PM
cbeck44
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Did it say it had finished inspection on web page?...mine just says "Sorry it has taken a while...."

Quick Reply: Carvana - looking for tips/advice as I pre-ordered "my?" car