Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Japan Touring in a Cayman S.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 03:08 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 121 Posts

An extra nice collection that day. F40 drivers are so rude!

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Obviously everyone's entitled to their own style but every time I see cars like that, I'm just like...

Old 01-29-2021, 10:17 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,692 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
An extra nice collection that day. F40 drivers are so rude!
Yeah, right?
Sticking their sexy Pininfarina nose where it isn't wanted... all the bloody time!

Obviously everyone's entitled to their own style but every time I see cars like that, I'm just like...
Like bogan donk, not sure it's about driving or performance, but a lifestyle?
Same same as brodozers - attention seeking?
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The last set from New Year at Daikoku Futo:

Not wanting to go on about narcissists' seeking attention - I will do that later - but, the 50 Jahr 911 is pretty nice, especially in Slate or Seal Gray.
The wheels, the chrome grille, green instruments, but that rear 911_50 badge would have to go.

Ektar rendered Ferrari red.
I've seen a few Fiat Dino re-labelled by their owners as Ferrari in Australia (and Musso SSSangyomnh as Benz there too, among others), but this Dino was still just a Dino and all the better for it.
Though, some last run Dino had to have Ferrari scripts added to sell in the US?

Nothing like a real homologation special!
The owner of this tasty CSL had gone the UK to purchase, enjoy touring, then to bring back to Japan.
He's had it ever since, as period plates display.
Still one of BMW's prettiest designs, and a glorious machine that ran against the Porsche in European Touring Car races at the time.
Curiously, there was also a Sierra Cosworth RS500 on the day too, one of the cars that took over from the Porsche and BMW in the touring car series.

With a Porsche-like torsion bar front end, you can adjust for nice ride height as needed in an S-series Honda.

Street rods, I guess were also a bit for straight line driving, but mostly about being cool and anti-social?

The circus leaves town.
Rolling narcissists, attention seeking, and anti social behavior into one group, we have these nice people.

They drive around with their doors open for some reason (seems they open up - who knew?), apply their cars with Don Quixote 100 yen packs of diamante, stickers, under body neon, Joey Tribbiani matching clothes, childish wraps, and regularly and needlessly rev the engines to redline continuously - I saw one poor machine ablating engine parts into little blue bits of flaming metal exiting the exhaust on one particularly sad occasion.
At one location in Tokyo, residents two kilometres across the bay complained of the noise, so the police shut down otherwise quiet nights' ice-cream and coffee for everyone accordingly.

One particularly self-assured guy had a drugged cat on the dashboard, and used to park on the main street of Ginza (doors open of course) to pose for kawaii! photographs with the passing gawkers.
Unlike Russia or the UAE, tigers and cheetah cannot be had as pets, as otherwise the animal cruelty would click up a notch in Japan too.

Alfa have some very attractive cars in their back catalog.

One of the few Bertone Ferrari?

Typical Japanese car meet pic!

There ends the indignant lesson.
See ya.

(Camera: Bessa R3a. Film: Kodak Ektar 100.)

The following 3 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
grgallo (02-13-2021), mgb (02-03-2021), Quix (02-02-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 09:39 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Leaving the minka one cold, foggy morning, we went off looking for a famous baumkuchen shop up the coast.

Two-up shirobai (white-bike) coming into town.

Exploring the back roads on the way home.

Long lost kyusha collection, featuring a few Isuzu - Piazza and Bellett.

Ex-gas stand (again).
The following users liked this post:
adam_987.2 (02-10-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 01:48 PM
TEF
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Looking at those old cars parked at random amid ramshackle properties reminded me that the Japanese traits of neatness and minimalism are not shared by everyone living there. I recall riding the subway or JR in Tokyo as it passed buildings on elevated sections of track that allowed one to look into active business offices. Most were of an open-office design and not the partitioned work space as in the US. Many offices had so many binders and folders heaped on every flat surface, there was no need for partitions as every employee was virtually surrounded by clutter. It was hardly the Zen-like image that I once imagine as Japan, The working conditions for many of those "salarymen" explains why the Japanese coined the word "Karoshi" .

Nevertheless, please keep up your postings. Yours are unique for a car-related blog.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:46 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TEF
Looking at those old cars parked at random amid ramshackle properties reminded me that the Japanese traits of neatness and minimalism are not shared by everyone living there. I recall riding the subway or JR in Tokyo as it passed buildings on elevated sections of track that allowed one to look into active business offices. Most were of an open-office design and not the partitioned work space as in the US. Many offices had so many binders and folders heaped on every flat surface, there was no need for partitions as every employee was virtually surrounded by clutter. It was hardly the Zen-like image that I once imagine as Japan, The working conditions for many of those "salarymen" explains why the Japanese coined the word "Karoshi"
Nevertheless, please keep up your postings. Yours are unique for a car-related blog.
While karoshi (death by work) is still an issue, wabisabi is a principle of beauty in imperfection and decay.
At least to me, as wabisabi means different things to different people.

This is why I shoot stuff other than speeding shinkansen, and fake tint photographs of Tokyo neon.
We've all seen that 1000 times before.
The beauty of Japan - for me - is in countless other places, and not just in shooting the same social media cliche.

This is an abandoned turbine hall in Iwate-ken, that still wears it WW2 camouflage paint.

A still operating Meiji-era (mid-1800s) ryokan (travelers' hotel).

Keeping a small level of automotive theme, an abandoned gas station in the shadow of an active volcano.

(Camera: Polaroid 600SE. Film: Type-665.)
Noah Fect (02-08-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 09:26 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

With the present State of Emergency still in place, we're getting a bit of cabin fever, so took a drive down the coast for an outside lunch again.

Stopping for a gift for a friend, we parked in an old gas station.

Between the four-door 911 and the Panamera, Porsche worked on a four-door transaxle car, the 95-something I think?
After they cancelled the project, at least three of the design team went to Mazda's then new design facility in Germany.
Back when Japan still made interesting cars, one of their first projects was the Lantis.

This is a Japan-only Type R, with the four-valve, 2.0L V6.
It also came with the rear wing, five-lug wheels, LSD, Recaro seats, and a greater output from that little V6.
Some say, you can see Porsche elements in the design, but I am not convinced... Maybe the heckblende?

Nearby, this well-kept rare-ish, single level kura looked nice.

With a takeaway bento or two, we sat at a little fishing village and watched the boats pass with Fuji-san in the distance.

There are many mountain trails in Boso, and the Jimny is very common.
This one though, seemed more RWB over the usually properly equipped and banged-up versions.

Stopping to photograph the hand-painted garage signs, this R32 GT-R burbled past.
We were taking a road inland to try a touge, and met them again on the mountain curves.

Meiji-era school buildings have a unique style, and though this one had some tile damage (we assume from the 2019 typhoons), it was in an otherwise good condition.
Many are unused these days, and we often think these buildings would make good bed-and-breakfast options, with their large rooms, dining halls, and similar...
adam_987.2 (02-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 03:17 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
This is a Japan-only Type R, with the four-valve, 2.0L V6.
It also came with the rear wing, five-lug wheels, LSD, Recaro seats, and a greater output from that little V6.
Some say, you can see Porsche elements in the design, but I am not convinced... Maybe the heckblende?
I'm with you, I don't see any Porsche influence at all. Just see SW20 MR2 in the front.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:17 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

I'm with you, I don't see any Porsche influence at all. Just see SW20 MR2 in the front.
Ditto!
Some fan boi on social gunna claim the MR2 was Porsche-designed now...
Old 02-19-2021, 09:11 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Cold nights, and warm sunny days.

Sometimes -2C or colder over night, the morning sun on the still days burns off the fog across our valley.

This day was 15C or so, dead still, and perfect for a drive.

After a fresh coffee and NY-style bagel for breakfast, we hit the road.

Our destination was the Southern surf coast of Boso Hanto.
Usually heavily trafficked in summer, in winter only the locals are out.

Local port.

Some good roads to explore.
The 18s - with a bit more sidewall to the tires - give more confidence in these situations, over the Sport Design 19s the car came with.

While it was 15C outside, in the local post office it was 32C inside in the sun.
Wearing my winter clothes, I nearly expired.

Wangan road built on top of the dunes in some areas South, mostly as a tsunami barrier.

Sun goes down on a great drive.

(Camera: Bessa R3a. Film: Kodak Ektar.)

The following 7 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
adam_987.2 (02-20-2021), dcsjc (02-20-2021), JBoxsterK (02-21-2021), kiznarsh (02-20-2021), maxTO (02-23-2021), Racer Boy (02-19-2021), various cheeses (02-20-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-27-2021, 04:49 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Cold day down the coast...
The following 3 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
grgallo (02-27-2021), paddlefoot64 (02-27-2021), RobT987 (02-28-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 06:09 AM
Justin Timber12
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what a great japan tour you had with awesome ride. I once went to japan and really enjoyed staying in the country. Great pictures.

Last edited by dr bob; 03-02-2021 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Removed Commercial URL
Old 02-27-2021, 06:13 PM
Quix
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

This thread continues to be my favorite. It makes me even more determined to get to Japan when travel is possible (and to tour it in a Cayman!). Thank you so much, Kuro Neko.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:40 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Concur. Japan was planned 4/20.... re upped 4/22. Bucket list.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:51 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Justin Timber12
what a great japan tour you had with awesome ride. I once went to japan and really enjoyed staying in the country. Great pictures.
taxi service in rowlett
Originally Posted by Quix
This thread continues to be my favorite. It makes me even more determined to get to Japan when travel is possible (and to tour it in a Cayman!). Thank you so much, Kuro Neko.
Originally Posted by Van Larson
Concur. Japan was planned 4/20.... re upped 4/22. Bucket list.
Neato!
If you do get confirmed, please feel free to ping me with recommendations - not only for touge, wangan, and touring, but other stuff in general too.
Be warned though, I lean away from the tourist cliches like hunting fake geisha in Kyoto.

Number five, in the series of needless modifications to tone down the bling on my S; 2x 997.628.981.02 (matte black, headlight washer caps), to replace the chromed ones previously fitted.
A 30 second job (both sides combined)...

2x chrome versions available if anyone interested...

See ya!

Old 03-01-2021, 02:40 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

It's like a whole new car.

Quick Reply: Japan Touring in a Cayman S.