Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Japan Touring in a Cayman S.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 10:08 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,744 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by drkn0
This thread stays so amazing and inspiring. Incredible photos as always my friend!
Thanks!

Some more random Porsche content, and with our State of Emergency possibly ending next week, we hope to be out and about for a drive or two, and maybe a long weekend away...

Carrera 6 (906) at Fuji Speedway.

RUF wheels on a 930.

This guy takes ten or more minutes to park, and coming home at 01:00 annoys a friend down the street sometimes.

Bewinged 993 at Daikoku Futo - possibly one of our immediate post-State of Emergency destinations.

Sad 924.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
Cayman292 (05-23-2020), Marine Blue (05-27-2020), PhillyNate (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 03:30 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TEF
In one of your previous photos, I note one taken from old Roppongi office looking towards Fuji in the distance. Assuming the street below is Roppongi-dori, is that Shibuya in the foreground? Also, the vantage point seems very high, so were your offices in Roppongi Hills? I was hoping to see the the US Embassy housing compound, but that would require a view of Roppongi-dori facing the other way. Would you have any (less interesting photos) taken in the direction of Roppongi crossing and beyond towards the Tameike-Sanno? After living years in Tokyo, the street scenes are really fun to see again as it's been over ten years since visiting the city. A great photographic representation.of Tokyo and rural Japan.
@TEF
Here's a composite view, looking East, North, West, then South towards the Rainbow Bridge...

Can you see your old residence?

Neko

The following users liked this post:
PhillyNate (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 05:38 PM
TEF
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Neko,

Many thanks for your latest series of photos posted for my benefit. The third photo includes (almost in center of photo) the embassy housing compound and I can even see my townhouse in a low row of buildings fronting the old temple grounds. I am not sure if you've ever heard of the "revenge of the 47 ronin" (aka ako roshi). Their story was dramatized in a 2013 movie of the same name featuring "ironically" Keanu Reeves as the main hero. Anyway, the temple grounds near the TBS building was where these ronin hung out. BTW, did you ever use lighting on the TBS building to determine the next day's weather prediction? According to the lighting color at the top of the building (i.e. blue for rain, white for snow and yellow for sunny), one could get an idea of coming weather. .
Old 05-27-2020, 08:43 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TEF
BTW, did you ever use lighting on the TBS building to determine the next day's weather prediction? According to the lighting color at the top of the building (i.e. blue for rain, white for snow and yellow for sunny), one could get an idea of coming weather. .
I did not know that, but will check it out when next going past.
The Rainbow Bridge is the same these days, red illumination if we need to go into COVID-19 lockdown...
Old 05-29-2020, 01:43 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Default Speed Yellow?

A friend sent me a quick pic of a Speed Yellow S, and it occurred to me I've only ever seen one other in Japan.
Here, we tend towards white, black, and if you're really outrageous, silver...

The latest stock list from the shop I bought mine from:

Old 05-29-2020, 11:51 AM
stareast
4th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for this great post Neko ! I enjoyed your pictures.
I was a resident in Tokyo for seven years in the 90ies as an expatriate. You have a very nice house in Boso , it is an area that I enjoyed a lot for escaping from the ''big'' Tokyo.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:31 PM
gcX
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I've just spent the majority of my morning going through your blog from the first page and absolutely adore it. I just returned from Kansai a couple weeks ago and had spent 2 whole months there "quarantining in place". I was in the Philippines prior and Japan seemed like the best country to quarantine in given government mandated shutdowns elsewhere. I couldn't ignore your haikyo photos of some of the more "famous" locations and your username seems quite familiar. I think I've seen it mentioned in Jordy Meow's blogs but I may be mistaken. Are you also perhaps an avid haikyo'ist?

Looking forward to more, cheers.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:53 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Default Haikyo? Me?

Originally Posted by gcX
I've just spent the majority of my morning going through your blog from the first page and absolutely adore it. I just returned from Kansai a couple weeks ago and had spent 2 whole months there "quarantining in place". I was in the Philippines prior and Japan seemed like the best country to quarantine in given government mandated shutdowns elsewhere. I couldn't ignore your haikyo photos of some of the more "famous" locations and your username seems quite familiar. I think I've seen it mentioned in Jordy Meow's blogs but I may be mistaken. Are you also perhaps an avid haikyo'ist? Looking forward to more, cheers.
Haikyo?
Maybe... no clown vomit here though.

Yes, I am that Kuroneko.
Japan - for now at least - appears to be one of the best places in the world to self-isolate.
The local authorities, like everyone, have no idea what is or isn't working to control COVID-19, but Japan's non-pharmaceutical interventions seem to be doing the best.
At least on paper...

Originally Posted by stareast
Thanks for this great post Neko ! I enjoyed your pictures.
I was a resident in Tokyo for seven years in the 90ies as an expatriate. You have a very nice house in Boso , it is an area that I enjoyed a lot for escaping from the ''big'' Tokyo.
The 1990s were a good time in Tokyo, at least for the expats.
Azabu Juban, Stelato, or one of those other Global Dining places for dinner, then to Roppongi to close...
Those days are long gone though, and not even the US sailors go to Roppongi these days - so I am told anyway.

Curiously, it was the haikyoing above, that made us want a haikyo of our own, so that was why we bought and have slowly made livable a minka in Boso Hanto.
Not sure I've posted previously, but this is what it looked like before the roof was lost in last year's typhoon:

The scaffolders have arrived this morning, and are surrounding the minka to allow access to start the roof replacement.
Normal Porsche service to be resumed soon, as today marks the relaxation of some of our suggested self-restraint restrictions...

Neko
The following 2 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
Cayman292 (06-01-2020), gcX (06-10-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 10:05 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Default End of Lock Down?

The last few weeks have seen a relaxing of some of the requests to limit our travel.
So while we have not been touring, we've been able to make trips for essential food and services.
While I've been carrying a camera sometimes, I've not been able to get the film developed - go digital!

With summer coming, we needed some camphor wood to burn inside the house to ward off the insects in the thatch, so we visited a local shrine that has a few camphor trees.

Scenes of devastation from last year's direct Cat 4 typhoon hit, are still all over the peninsula.
Many places look like a bomb has exploded, with trees laying flat and debris everywhere.
We look at sights like this, and are thankful we only lost our roof.

Some roads have also yet to be repaired.

As others have noted, the roads have been mostly free of cars, giving a sobering reminder of how close Japan came to the horrible situation in Europe and the US.
Now Brazil too, if you do not take control measures seriously...

While we were able to buy and store food for over a week, some fresh items like milk we considered essential, and the closest konbeni is a 20 minute drive over a local touge.
So, lock down hasn't been that bad for us.
Others, we know, have lost their jobs and worse, so we are very thankful.

Plus, I can now get film developed...

See ya!
Neko

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 06-06-2020 at 01:25 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
Cayman292 (06-05-2020), gcX (06-10-2020), PhillyNate (06-06-2020), various cheeses (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 04:03 AM
Liongolfer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I absolutely love this thread. @kuro neko, thanks for continuing to share.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:05 PM
Goonfather
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Great documentation as usual. How are you finding the exhaust mate?
Old 06-07-2020, 08:35 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Liongolfer
I absolutely love this thread. @kuro neko, thanks for continuing to share.
Thanks!
I try to present in a lazy magazine style so I can fwd to my non-Porsche driving friends.

Originally Posted by Goonfather
Great documentation as usual. How are you finding the exhaust mate?
Really good.
The Carnewal is not as loud as others I've heard, but long distance cruising it is as quiet as the non-PSE standard mufflers.
We're going to take a seven day tour, South to Shikoku in a few weeks, so the no-drone expressway capability will be great - one stint is six hours.
When you get on it though, at the higher rpm and through tunnels, and bouncing off the touge walls, it sounds just great.
It also gives a nice strong bark at start up, and bubbles along at off-idle rpm in first and second too.
All-in-all, a perfect set of mufflers for me...
Old 06-08-2020, 09:51 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

With a friend from Tokyo, in Boso Hanto for the morning we took an early morning diversion...

An early morning start, with the summer mists filling the valleys.

Prince Skyline GT-B, and its snarling triple Webers.

Lipstick Red, full leather, always enjoyable.

C4 dropping back into second for a nice corner.
​​​​​​

Clear roads across Boso Hanto.

Everything looks good on RS Watanabe wheels?
​​​​​​

Rural roads in Japan carry a variety of hazards.
Look at those tires!
Joke...

(Camera: Voigtlander Bessa. Film: Fuji 400.)

Old 06-08-2020, 12:14 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko

A friend sent me a quick pic of a Speed Yellow S, and it occurred to me I've only ever seen one other in Japan.
Here, we tend towards white, black, and if you're really outrageous, silver...

Looks great, nice to see another SY 987 in the world
Old 06-09-2020, 11:33 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by idk_alex
Looks great, nice to see another SY 987 in the world
I really like the Porsche yellows.
My dream machine used to be a Speed Yellow 993, with the brushed aluminum trim.
An acquaintance used to have a Kodak Gelb G-body too...

I saw a Copen yesterday in Speed Yellow, with a 'Copen' script down the side in the style of 'Carrera', and it looked pretty neat.
50% of the cylinders and 25% of the capacity.
Pity, I didn't grab a pic.
Here's the previous model Cappuccino in a similar color though:

I did however grab a pic of this strange device.
He stopped at the local homeware store, and went into the bicycle parts section, perhaps to buy parts for his car:

Not the Pious.
I know I shouldn't make jokes, liking small cars myself, but driving this on public roads must be 'entertaining', as they say...
The following users liked this post:
kiznarsh (06-13-2020)

Quick Reply: Japan Touring in a Cayman S.