Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Japan Touring in a Cayman S.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 06:53 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts

It's interesting watching Japan go through "lockdown" again. Very different to lockdown in NZ. Imagine the roads are great for exploring at the moment, assuming people are following the guidelines and staying at home?

Thanks for the magazine recommendation, will grab a copy. And that Touge map is excellent!
Old 01-10-2021, 05:58 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,597 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
It's interesting watching Japan go through "lockdown" again. Very different to lockdown in NZ. Imagine the roads are great for exploring at the moment, assuming people are following the guidelines and staying at home?
Thanks for the magazine recommendation, will grab a copy. And that Touge map is excellent!
The map is great, hai.
I need to check, but we're lucky to have done 50 or so now from this list...

Most are following the stay home guidelines, yes.
But, as they are only guidelines there's still people out.
The State of Emergency was only declared on Thursday night so people just getting into again we assume.
Not crossing prefectural borders, we went for a drive the Sunday before in our local area, and there was only a few people out though.

We found a local shrine in the mountains, where there would usually be people, but we had the place to ourselves:

The road up was a little narrow, and the Cayman just fitted.

The location though was serene, and we took the time to explore and enjoy the relaxing scene.

Rope strung between two sacred trees.

Handmade mochi left as a contribution, and to be eaten this coming weekend I think.
Though, possibly not this one...

Ladle made from an off-cut of bamboo.
You wash your hands before entering the shrine area.

(Camera: Bessa R3a. Film: Kodak Portra 100.)

The following 2 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
grgallo (01-10-2021), Racer Boy (01-12-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 10:42 AM
TEF
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

The picture of shave ice machines brings up an interesting thought regarding Hawaii's unique penchant for shave ice. Considering the large number of Japanese immigrants to that state in late 19th and early 20th centuries, might the Japanese have introduced shave ice to Hawaii? Just as food trucks now offer an inexpensive business opportunity for many of today's immigrants, a shave ice stand would be the equivalent in those days. Whether intentional or not, your great photos offer insights offer a great look at Japan beyond just cars.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:13 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TEF
The picture of shave ice machines brings up an interesting thought regarding Hawaii's unique penchant for shave ice. Considering the large number of Japanese immigrants to that state in late 19th and early 20th centuries, might the Japanese have introduced shave ice to Hawaii? Just as food trucks now offer an inexpensive business opportunity for many of today's immigrants, a shave ice stand would be the equivalent in those days. Whether intentional or not, your great photos offer insights offer a great look at Japan beyond just cars.
Ha!
As far as I know, shaved ice is indeed a Japanese invention.
But it might just be the nationalistic view - like Australia thinking they invented TV, China inventing the car, and Germany inventing the sausage...
Regardless, the migration of shaved ice from Japan to Hawaii would seem to make sense.

As to cars in general, there's more coming.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:04 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

First set of pics from the first Sunday of the year at Yokohama's Daikoku Futo PA...

The Integrale is popular in Japan, and not sure I know how to tell their Evo versions apart.
I do know, blue is rare, with red, white, and yellow more common.

There was more Porsche on the day, than I've seen in a long time.

Toyota classics, with the Corolla on semi-original issue plates.
With all the exotica about, there were still many garden variety cars, and it is just as interesting to get into their details.

This being Japan, this could have been a real 2.7RS, but the tachometer was only 6300 (not 7500?).
It had that edgy rattle of an early performance spec 911 regardless.

Still one of my favorite affordable Ferrari.

Blau!

More!

Mr. Tea Tray Spoiler was visibly posing with his tea on his tea tray, but I suppose I might use the same for convenience.

Great stance on this Skyline GT-B (red GT badge, not blue like -A).
A good friend drove his RS3 in lieu of his similar B, otherwise there would have been two on the day.
The GT-B with its factory triple Weber (with OEM polished stacks), 100L long distance fuel tank, LSD, and other homologation bits is pretty special.
Though, their racing gearbox pattern (not a dog-leg, but a trident) does take some getting used to!
Some swap in later Fairlady Z five speeds accordingly.

Speedster details.
The vintage green dials always look good.

Possibly the coolest car here on the day, a Honda City Turbo II, though invented in Europe (I think) box-flares are done just as good by some Japanese.

More to follow...

(Camera: Voigtlander Bessa. Film: Kodak Ektar 100.)

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 01-15-2021 at 09:06 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
grgallo (01-16-2021), Marine Blue (01-16-2021), nzskater (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 11:57 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts

Great photos - does this happen every Sunday or only at certain times of the month/year?
Old 01-17-2021, 12:08 AM
EYEHAVEYOU
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Continues to be my favorite thread on all of Rennlist! Anymore pics of that blue GT2?
Old 01-17-2021, 02:21 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nzskater
Great photos - does this happen every Sunday or only at certain times of the month/year?
Most Wangan PA meets are Friday and Saturday nights (Tatsumi, Shibaura, Daikoku Futo, etc), with Daikoku also Sunday mornings these days.
It used to just be the third Sunday in the month (like Okutama-ko), but for the last few years it is most Sundays.
Evenings are typically modifieds, with Sundays typically classics.
Because this was the first Sunday of the year though, we had everything...

Plus there is also 8/6, 7/7, 5/10 etc for specific models.
Not sure if 9/11 gets 911 though, never been.
8/6 was crazy a few years ago though, with the whole car park filled with 86s (and one 987).

Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU
Continues to be my favorite thread on all of Rennlist! Anymore pics of that blue GT2?
Not me, no.
Over at Speedhunters though, it managed to show up in a few of Dino's digi-snaps...

See ya!
Old 01-17-2021, 11:42 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Some seriously nice and I have to imagine rare cars at that event. Great photos as always.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:48 PM
EYEHAVEYOU
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko;17168733
Not me, no.
Over at Speedhunters though, it managed to show up in a few of [url=http://www.speedhunters.com/2021/01/100-photos-from-the-daikoku-pa-new-year-meeting/
Dino's digi-snaps[/url]...
Good find, thanks! And a reminder for me to read some of the latest SH articles, don't visit that site as often as I should.
The following users liked this post:
gcX (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 02:02 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 83 Posts

Kuro Neko, I was hoping that you could give us a mini-tutorial on Japanese license plates. Your photos have shown lots of what we call vanity plates over here, with the numbers having relevance to the car carrying the plate. Does Japan have a similar system to the UK where people can pay silly money to get their desired numbers?

Also, with only 4 or so main numbers on a plate, what determines the unique identity of a plate? I am guessing that the additional smaller numbers at the corner of the plate identify the prefecture, or something. Then there are the other small “calligraphic” characters that indicate...what?

So, how many different unique Japanese license plates can there be that all say “9 - 11”?

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2021, 03:39 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko

This being Japan, this could have been a real 2.7RS, but the tachometer was only 6300 (not 7500?).
It had that edgy rattle of an early performance spec 911 regardless.
The first thing I tend to look for in determining the authenticity of a 2.7RS is the shape of the flat lip profile of the rear wheel arches. The car above is most likely a backdated SC or a early car that had SC flares added. The RS flares will always have a slightly wider flat section through the middle portion of the arch while the SC flare have a consistent width through the radius.

Of course, some very well done replicas will have had real RS flares added.

No you can easily spot the pretenders at future gatherings.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:28 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Some seriously nice and I have to imagine rare cars at that event. Great photos as always.
More interesting cars coming, when I've got some time to do the upload and descriptions from this day...

Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU
Good find, thanks! And a reminder for me to read some of the latest SH articles, don't visit that site as often as I should.
They were walking around too, so it was a pretty easy find!
(You can also find my S800 in a few places there if you're into vintage Honda.)

Originally Posted by SCMike
Kuro Neko, I was hoping that you could give us a mini-tutorial on Japanese license plates. Your photos have shown lots of what we call vanity plates over here, with the numbers having relevance to the car carrying the plate. Does Japan have a similar system to the UK where people can pay silly money to get their desired numbers?
Also, with only 4 or so main numbers on a plate, what determines the unique identity of a plate? I am guessing that the additional smaller numbers at the corner of the plate identify the prefecture, or something. Then there are the other small “calligraphic” characters that indicate...what?
So, how many different unique Japanese license plates can there be that all say “9 - 11”?
Thanks!
Choosing your kibo-bangou (special number) only costs a few thousand yen.
The kanji on the top of the plate are the prefecture / area, and the numbers on top are the type (private, commercial, kei, etc) and sequence.
The characters before the number are the series (within the sequence).
More details on page 12 above, but you can have lots of 9-11, as within the same prefecture and series, you can have one for every kana, so that's 46 (except rental わ, and a few others I think); あ9−11,う9−11,え9−11。。。 etc.
Kibo-bangou
these days, also include a romanji character as their prefix.

Originally Posted by Nurburger
The first thing I tend to look for in determining the authenticity of a 2.7RS is the shape of the flat lip profile of the rear wheel arches. The car above is most likely a backdated SC or a early car that had SC flares added. The RS flares will always have a slightly wider flat section through the middle portion of the arch while the SC flare have a consistent width through the radius.
Of course, some very well done replicas will have had real RS flares added.
No you can easily spot the pretenders at future gatherings.
Ahhh... yes, the early flares stick out more at their top (like someone has sat on them perhaps), whereas the later are close to equal top-to-bottom, with a smoother radius.
Curiously, the same can be said of the Skyline GT-A and GT-B, with the B having a slightly wider flare to accommodate wider track rubber too.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2021, 09:20 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Continuing the first Sunday at Daikoku Futo...

The Zagato Junior is a lovely example of Italian design, and they sound great too.

McLaren always delight.

After this F40 photo-bombed my nicely set up shot of two Delta Integrale, I was going to reshoot, but then I couldn't complain of my shot being messed up here.

Big Foot!
Like the 2.7 RS, I wonder if real?

Classic Chev prepare to depart for hamburger and donut breakfasts.

A view I got really familiar with once...
After getting off the racing line in my 356 to let one pass into a tight corner, I tucked in behind and mashed the throttle - just as the Testarossa driver missed his gear.
I am sure my nose went under his gearbox.

Where are my springs?!

Tasty S800 I first met at Honda's S 50-year anniversary at Motegi.
He works at Honda Design and wouldn't tell me what he's working on.

I always like a 993, but not sure such with gold wheels and blue calipers works.

A more tasteful example.

One of the greatest designs of all time.
You can sit and look at a Dino (here badged correctly too), all day...
The following 3 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
Marine Blue (01-30-2021), Noah Fect (01-24-2021), Racer Boy (01-23-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 10:45 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 224 Posts

Can’t get enough of this thread

Quick Reply: Japan Touring in a Cayman S.