Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Japan Touring in a Cayman S.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 03:57 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,692 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
It's like a whole new car.
It is!
I was thinking the same... practically invisible among the Camry now.

Also did this:

I didn't check the Launch Control light worked in the driveway though (as others, with more wit than I, have already noted).
The following users liked this post:
PhillyNate (04-17-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 04:39 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Spring days, warming up, and with the relaxation of the State of Emergency for Tokyo and surrounding prefectures, we've been getting out a bit more:

Local skyline.

Roadworks.

Mountain shrine.

Coming off one touge.

Wangan view, with Fuji-san off in the distance.

Seaside kura, in black looking a bit like Gunkanjima and usually a sign of wealth...

grgallo (04-20-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 08:06 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

With the Sunday cold and gray, I went off to meet some friends at the track...

One of the many single lane bridges in the area.
I still get asked why Japanese drive kei, and not 'real' trucks.

Sad looking twin-cam Carina.

Slick looking Masser.

Mini waiting to fight another track day.

Extra sad Skyline HT.

I suppose someone thinks saving these little Mitsu from the crusher is worth it.

Celica GT.

See ya!
The following 4 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
adam_987.2 (04-11-2021), Cayman292 (04-10-2021), kiznarsh (04-11-2021), maxTO (04-10-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 04:03 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko

How are those wheels & tires looking so fresh?!

Did a tornado rip off the cover that was on the car? Or did it crash through a clothesline full of bedsheets?

So many questions.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:20 AM
BWJones
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

This is one of the greatest threads ever. A photo-essay of all the parts of Japan that we never see when visiting.

This thread is so inspiring.
Quix (10-01-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 12:05 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
How are those wheels & tires looking so fresh?!
Did a tornado rip off the cover that was on the car? Or did it crash through a clothesline full of bedsheets?
So many questions.
Realistically, suggest the last few years' of typhoons (inc a Cat 4 in 2019) through the area made short work of an already UV-killed cover.

It's just a hacked up Hakosuka GT (not a GT-R for example), but still sad to see decay like this...
The JDM fanbois got all bent about it.

Originally Posted by BWJones
This is one of the greatest threads ever. A photo-essay of all the parts of Japan that we never see when visiting.
This thread is so inspiring.
Neat!

Old 04-17-2021, 09:29 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Out for a drive recently into the local mountains, we came across a disused Meiji-era school.

While some spaces were damaged, other rooms were pristine.

Some local period buildings were in very good condition.

Most of the local roads were empty, and also allowing for easy passing of the occasional slow kei.

Stopping for a hot can of coffee, we enjoyed the tink-tink-tink of the cooling exhaust...

See ya!

The following 4 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
Cayman292 (04-17-2021), Fresh.Sizzle (04-20-2021), GeoJoe (04-17-2021), nzskater (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 05:13 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Great photos! The number of abandoned schools is higher than I expected, but I guess they're a victim of the endless migrations in to the cities. Was staying in Shizuoka recently, and came across one. Love the statue of the kid walking and reading after collecting firewood, but saw on the news this week that they're removing any remaining statues as it represents people trying to do two things at once, and could be interpreted as a positive endorsement of people walking while reading a smartphone??! People tend to overthink things sometimes...
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2021, 03:36 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nzskater
Great photos! The number of abandoned schools is higher than I expected, but I guess they're a victim of the endless migrations in to the cities. Was staying in Shizuoka recently, and came across one. Love the statue of the kid walking and reading after collecting firewood, but saw on the news this week that they're removing any remaining statues as it represents people trying to do two things at once, and could be interpreted as a positive endorsement of people walking while reading a smartphone??! People tend to overthink things sometimes...
Thanks, and you are correct - the number of disused schools is increasing across Japan, due to both the pull of the cities, and the declining age of the population in general.
Curiously, I've been asked to attend a meeting today to discuss options for another school's redevelopment, and with a few good touge in the area I am pitching for coffee and snacks for the many riders and drivers that frequent the area (I used these pics as part of the pitch too).

There's a story about the diligent student and those statues, and I suppose I should be able to recall it but cannot! Nice pic too...
Old 04-20-2021, 04:21 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

That's such a good idea. Was thinking recently on the lack of good pit stops for car clubs etc. There's the PA's, but they lack atmosphere. A spot with dedicated (wide) parking and cafe type services would naturally attract patrons. Could rent it out for events to manufacturers etc as well.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:43 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

That's such a good idea. Was thinking recently on the lack of good pit stops for car clubs etc. There's the PA's, but they lack atmosphere. A spot with dedicated (wide) parking and cafe type services would naturally attract patrons. Could rent it out for events to manufacturers etc as well.
There's a few car-focused cafe about in Kanto, but space is limited (like the kura buried somewhere above), or limited time (eg: only Sunday mornings before 09:00 at Tsutaya Daikanyama).
One day, as there's plenty of options, look at the school above - huge car park, sit down areas, and it even has a takeaway window.
Just needs a lick of paint...
Old 04-23-2021, 10:11 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Late night Wangan run into Tokyo...
The following 2 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
nzskater (04-24-2021), PhillyNate (04-24-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 04:59 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Envious of late night hoons. I'm still in the process of hunting for the right car, and have struggled with car dealers and their seeming lack of interest in actually selling a car (managed about a 1/10 hit rate on test drives, everything from "we only allow test drives after you've signed a sales contract" to "you can only drive around our car park" has been used. Japan is difficult at times! Curious to know where people sell cars privately? As far as I can tell, most seem to go to auction and then either off shore or to a dealer. Everything on Carsensor seems dealer owned. Surely there's a C2C intermediary that is in use here, or is Yahoo it?
Old 04-25-2021, 09:42 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Envious of late night hoons. I'm still in the process of hunting for the right car, and have struggled with car dealers and their seeming lack of interest in actually selling a car (managed about a 1/10 hit rate on test drives, everything from "we only allow test drives after you've signed a sales contract" to "you can only drive around our car park" has been used. Japan is difficult at times! Curious to know where people sell cars privately? As far as I can tell, most seem to go to auction and then either off shore or to a dealer. Everything on Carsensor seems dealer owned. Surely there's a C2C intermediary that is in use here, or is Yahoo it?
Many resellers do not have trade plates to use on test drives, so legally you cannot drive too many lot cars on test drives.
Then, we have the do not trust the foreigner routine - learned over many years of being taken advantage of by less-honest visitors or short-termers.
'Yes, I want to buy', when there is no intention to do so.

Apart from dealers, some private sales come from Yafuoku, contacts on Minkara, or friends of friends.
My S800 has been sold twice now, without ever being advertised.

Suggest you befriend one dealer, visit occasionally just to say hello, consider some omiyage if it doesn't feel too creepy as one option.
Then, maybe hang out at a few meets in your area to make some contacts - meishi will help.

The one save here though, is the local cars are mostly honest, accurately represented, and dealers have a shaken obligation to fulfill, so there's a little more confidence than the usual used-car sharks that exist in the West.
Some dealers will even try and source the right car for you, from other dealers and sales if necessary too.

Auctions too, are a whole different world, and can be good but need even more commitment...

Old 04-28-2021, 03:17 AM
wongdawg
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi - From my limited experience with dealers here I was able to test drive the 2 cars I eventually bought from them (after showing a “high level” of interest) .. although I did get a call from one of them about 10 mins in asking to bring the car back.. understandably for liability reasons

Do you speak/read Japanese? One of the more legit private seller sites here is enthu no mori “エンスーの杜“ .. altho the pricing can be a bit all over the place . Yafuoku is the other one but stuff on there are a bit sketchy to me.

10-15 yrs ago, I have seen people selling 964RS on the odd blog and minkara post... but now , needless to say, that ship has long sailed

Quick Reply: Japan Touring in a Cayman S.