Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Japan Touring in a Cayman S.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 06:48 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,597 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by wongdawg
Hi - From my limited experience with dealers here I was able to test drive the 2 cars I eventually bought from them (after showing a “high level” of interest) .. although I did get a call from one of them about 10 mins in asking to bring the car back.. understandably for liability reasons
Do you speak/read Japanese? One of the more legit private seller sites here is enthu no mori “エンスーの杜“ .. altho the pricing can be a bit all over the place . Yafuoku is the other one but stuff on there are a bit sketchy to me.
10-15 yrs ago, I have seen people selling 964RS on the odd blog and minkara post... but now , needless to say, that ship has long sailed
Good tips indeed...

Nice day for a drive here, that is after a mini-tornado blew up yesterday, and smashed a garden chair into the Cayman (leaving a small ding in the body)...

Old 05-07-2021, 10:07 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

The first day of the Golden Week holidays (Showa Day), and our prefecture is still under a State of Emergency, and we've been asked to not leave the prefecture.
So, a quiet konbini lunch down the coast was planned.

Leaving our minka it was a nice warm day, I had just mowed the lawn and waxed the Cayman, the roads were quiet, so not all bad...

Some of the coast roads a good too.

Most of the fish boats had come in for the day with their catch.

Some of the utilitarian facilities.

Looking a bit like Gunkanjima in some places.

A quiet day out, and although the State of Emergency has just been extended to end-May, we hope to be able to travel wider one day soon...

(Camera: Bessa R3a. Film: Fuji 100.)
The following 5 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
adam_987.2 (05-08-2021), dbarry (05-15-2021), kiznarsh (05-08-2021), Racer Boy (05-07-2021), various cheeses (05-17-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 04:57 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Not much touring going on with the present - now extended - State of Emergency, but we can still get out and go for quiet picnics...

Here, we stopped and had lunch at one of our favorite one-man car stations.

The driver, and passengers always cheer and wave, we assume to everyone all the time.

They were still tilling the tanbo for rice planting.

Round windows looking suitably Showa.

Vintage kei truck.

See ya!
Cayman292 (05-15-2021), forestial (05-17-2021), Marine Blue (05-15-2021), PhillyNate (06-15-2021), various cheeses (05-17-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 06:17 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

We're still bumming about in Kanto, with no real touring planned.
Not at least until we've been vaccinated... soon, we hope (especially with Shinagawa plates, though Okinawawan plates would be worse these days unfortunately).

Paying the gas bill.

Local lake, and black bass fishing.

The rice has recently gone in all over our valley.

Many places are still carrying damage from the 2019 Cat 4 typhoon's direct hit on the area.
Some places are likely to never be repaired...

(Camera: Bessa R3a. Film: Kodak Ektar 100.)
Cayman292 (06-06-2021), forestial (06-05-2021), Racer Boy (06-05-2021), The Duke (06-07-2021), various cheeses (06-07-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 07:52 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Quick run into Tokyo...

Eneos hi-oku tank up. Their Ene-key payment system is great! Bling, and you're off...

Eneos product placement.

The Tokyo Wan Aqualine, although a straight line blast is still an interesting drive with the bridge, hump, Umi Hotaru, and the tunnel.
The Wangan inter on the Kawasaki side too is a great set of corners and tunnels for overtaking truck, buses, and obaa-san on the outside safely...
The following 3 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
dbarry (06-12-2021), Racer Boy (06-12-2021), Snakebit (06-11-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 01:33 AM
forestial
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
The Wangan inter on the Kawasaki side too is a great set of corners and tunnels for overtaking truck, buses, and obaa-san on the outside safely...
"Obaa-san" defies Google Translate, so I'm forced to ask for enlightenment...
Old 06-13-2021, 04:43 AM
stareast
4th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by forestial
"Obaa-san" defies Google Translate, so I'm forced to ask for enlightenment...
If my memory is rigth , it is related to the old lady with grey hairs, quite often with purple or blue hints of colours ...
Old 06-13-2021, 06:36 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by stareast
If my memory is rigth , it is related to the old lady with grey hairs, quite often with purple or blue hints of colours ...
Apologies, yes.
Here's the stereotypical obaa-san and imagine how they drive (though some too have no fear, and our one accident in the last 20 years was with a crazy obaa-san careening down the middle of the road too narrow for two cars, we were stopped at the time and she still smashed our mirror).
Old 06-19-2021, 07:06 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

With a public holiday off, we teamed up with a friend down the valley, and went off in search of a Covid-safe lunch - typically outside.

We started at our friends' house down the valley.

Koi-no-bori for the Children's' Day holiday.

Rugged coast roads.

Quiet little villages.

Some outdoor activities.

Old tunnel above the new tunnel.

C4 back home.

Cayman S back home. Tink, tink, tink...
See ya!

(Camera: Bessa R3a. Film: Kodak Ektar 100.)
adam_987.2 (06-20-2021), BWJones (06-19-2021), nzskater (06-22-2021), Racer Boy (06-19-2021), Snakebit (06-19-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 02:58 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Despite not being an owner anymore, still come back to Rennlist to enjoy this thread. I recently completed a 3-week road trip with my Nikon F100 and used Fujifilm 400 for all the photos. Then I decided to upgrade to the F6 which I just received from Japan a few days ago, but haven't taken any pics with it yet. Thought it'd be cool to have the last film camera Nikon ever made. I think a rangefinder is next on the list.

I'll post this one since there's a Targa in the background.

The following users liked this post:
The Duke (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 09:54 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
Despite not being an owner anymore, still come back to Rennlist to enjoy this thread. I recently completed a 3-week road trip with my Nikon F100 and used Fujifilm 400 for all the photos. Then I decided to upgrade to the F6 which I just received from Japan a few days ago, but haven't taken any pics with it yet. Thought it'd be cool to have the last film camera Nikon ever made. I think a rangefinder is next on the list.

I'll post this one since there's a Targa in the background.
Awesome on all counts there (not least because I miss my 2.7S Targa sometimes - see below)!
There's a couple of really nice fast (f1.4 etc) prime lenses in the Nikon range, and they are not expensive either!
I use a rangefinder over its lightness and stealthiness for street work; no mirror slap. But, I find you're either an SLR user or not... A friend tried my Bessa for a few weeks, and just could not get into it.
I've been using your headliner process in preparing to do the same at this end, so your legacy remains too.

We're starting vaccinations here, so will plan a road trip soon.
After this is fixed:

Shift rod sensor failure...
Lucky, we can now buy a new US-made part as a direct replacement - in lieu of complete box swap.

See ya!

Snakebit (06-27-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 11:11 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

One of the side-effects of shooting film, and not getting out much, is looking at photographs from an un-finished roll.
In this case, with the PDK mission in bits, a reminder of the need to get it back on the road...

We visited a classic minka, much more elaborate than our simple farmers' house.

A rare stone kura still standing, while buildings around get redeveloped.

This classic kura too, has stood by as the main house has been replaced.

Minty Vehicross, with the owner more than happy to explain the history and his ownership of a unique classic.
At the time, I thought them large, but it is smaller than the Cayman.

With the days over 30C these days, we've put out the bamboo screens to keep the heat off the minka.
With the incessant sun and rain, the lawn needs mowing once a week.

Local mountain shrine.

Summer colors of Japan - blue skies and green rice tanbo.

Local Honda scooter yard.
More to follow, and with parts shipped and fitted, the PDK will be back soon.

See ya!

adam_987.2 (08-01-2021), kiznarsh (08-03-2021), Racer Boy (08-01-2021), SCMike (08-01-2021), Snakebit (08-01-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 05:21 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Fixed!

tl:dr - one of the common, among the small set of PDK failures, is the shift rod sensor fail (error code P173X), is an easy fix.

While this failure mode used to be a concern, with Porsche insisting the fix was to replace the whole trans, this is no longer the case, with cost effective options available for repair.
With the right tools, this could even be a home fix as it is essentially just:
  • Remove exhaust downstream from exhaust manifolds.
  • Remove under tray.
  • Remove end cap of transmission.
  • Replace sensor and recalibrate (with PIWIS).
Notably as the repair involves replacing a Hall sensor assembly, and has nothing to do with the usually bullet proof PDK mechanicals, and full details here.
There's also a small window - for those with enterprise - to buy supposedly dead PDK cars and return them to the road...

My new ZF paper weight (some say, they cost at least three million yen).
Snakebit (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 06:09 AM
Snip's
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

That's scary... Your PDK (hall sensors) went bad at 52,000 km...
I'd say you were pretty fortunate to have a trustworthy and competent shop that understood what was needed to crack open and fix your PDK.
And of course praise for the development of the replacement part and the community on this forum doing the investigating in the repair of the PDK...
Snakebit (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 09:23 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Snip's
That's scary... Your PDK (hall sensors) went bad at 52,000 km...
I'd say you were pretty fortunate to have a trustworthy and competent shop that understood what was needed to crack open and fix your PDK.
And of course praise for the development of the replacement part and the community on this forum doing the investigating in the repair of the PDK...
Well... the shift rod sensor went at 52,000 km and 11 years.
But you're right, and interesting to know if such is a batch issue from ZF, but there's not enough data available yet.
We shall see over the coming years, either the window of manufacturer failure or batch numbers from ZF being indicative.

Regardless, things fail, and while having to replace the whole transmission to fix wouldn't be nice (essentially junking a Cayman, even an S, but perhaps not a Turbo), I was indeed lucky to find a shop willing to wade into the PDK!
Hopefully the fix will stick, as noted here and elsewhere, the PDK is otherwise a brilliant piece of engineering.

Quick Reply: Japan Touring in a Cayman S.