Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Japan Touring in a Cayman S.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 02:46 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 125 Posts

Wow, what a garage! Has the owner never dropped a wrench? That looks pristine!

Definitely a great mod! I noticed mine is now slightly louder than the first start-up and it's great without being annoying. Which coincidentally is how I try to be as a person.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:47 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,744 Likes on 660 Posts
Default Great without being annoying...

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
Wow, what a garage! Has the owner never dropped a wrench? That looks pristine!
I assume so, as I dropped one as well... they hit with a dull thud, and as the wood is thick and hardwood of some sort, it seems to not care too much.
It does have a few stains though, which I think the concours lawn chair sitters call, patina...

Definitely a great mod! I noticed mine is now slightly louder than the first start-up and it's great without being annoying. Which coincidentally is how I try to be as a person.
A perfect description of the Carnewal GT mufflers.
Too often I see hot systems being replaced looking for something more tame for daily use, so I just went for tame immediately.
My neighbor has a friend with a PSE equipped 987 and it sounds about the same, at least at start up and lower rpm.

I too prefer great without being annoying, but lean towards being a little annoying in person though...

Old 02-20-2020, 05:44 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

A cold, but sunny Sunday drive.

There's ten Porsche on my block, but for some reason nearly every time we tank up, there's another getting washed or tires or similar at the local sutando.

Run to Bondi Cafe for coffee in the Ferrari.

Clear roads North.

Great view of Fuji-san on the way.

Saitama train museum and some great Showa style.

Shinkansen, popular with everyone.

Quiet lunch of salmon rice and local vegetable pickles in Kawagoe.

Lunch!

Some glorious old buildings, worth the trip if you do not mind 1000s of tourists.

Meiji and Taisho stuff everywhere.

Taisho building, now a coffee shop.

Subaru's 360 sputters down the main Kawagoe shotengai (shopping street).

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 02-23-2020 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:31 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko

Subaru's 360 sputters down the main Kawagoe shotengai (shopping street).
I didn't realize these had rear-hinged doors. Can you imagine driving that on the 405 amongst brodozers? Yikes.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:28 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

I didn't realize these had rear-hinged doors. Can you imagine driving that on the 405 amongst brodozers? Yikes.

Tokyo, with its narrow streets suits a small small car.
We do not have many brodozers, and the Hummer fad passed fifteen years ago - lucky!
My S800 was a regular on the expressways too, though I installed some very loud horns for the same concern.

There are a few similarly sized cars still on sale these days too.
Notably the S660 above.
There's not really a size stigma in Japan, and the kei regulations continue to contribute to common sense road use.

More small cars!
Out for a drive this last weekend, I diced with a Lotus 11 through a few corners, but pro-tip do not try racing a real race car on public roads - even one built in 1957.
The helmeted driver just did not need to slow down for the corners...

We took a drive down the coast to pick up some special cakes for an afternoon tea request, and some fresh fish for dinner (not air-dried squid).

This 997 was tucked away in a little village.
Local shop too would have been the height of Showa cool when built, now still wabisabi cool, but looking a bit sad too.

<insert joke about submarine>

Most, not all, beaches in Japan leave a lot to be desired.
With most volcanic sand, pebbles, or small rocks.
Japan does a lot well, but beaches and coastline are not some of them.
That's a 2m unsecured drop in front of Cayman to the 'beach' below.

Second Lotus of the day, this one a 340R I think is track day toy, and its occupants were similarly wearing helmets.
Aero license plate positioning too!

Local bus stop, with shelter for weather.

With the rain and mists closing in, we came home slowly through the mountains, enjoying the relatively empty roads.

See ya!
Neko

(Camera: Bessa R2a with Nokton 45mm. Film: Kodak Portra 400.)

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 02-22-2020 at 08:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
Anthonyr105 (04-06-2020), Marine Blue (02-22-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 11:19 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Love seeing the pictures and reading about them, thanks again for the posts.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:09 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Love seeing the pictures and reading about them, thanks again for the posts.
Hey, thanks!
We're not on My Face and stuff like that, so just send untraceable and unexploitable anonymous forum posts to friends as updates too - win / win...
The following users liked this post:
peladex (03-04-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 12:41 PM
TEF
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

As much as I enjoy your great (analog) photography especially of rural Japan, I experience a certain melancholy at the sight of small-town derelict restaurants and businesses. Much like one experiences when visiting similar sized communities in the US. The paradox seems to be Japan's shortage of space is limited to urban centers (and a few touristic sites) while the rest of the country is virtually empty. On the other hand, this lack of population allows you some fun rides on lonely secondary roads. Having lived in Tokyo for four years, it was possible to drive out of the city on rare occasions, so it's fun to see photos of these small towns. By contrast, you have the advantage of seeing rural Japan in a Cayman, while I did it in a left-hand drive "87 Volvo 745 wagon.
The following users liked this post:
Nagah (04-19-2021)
Old 02-23-2020, 11:36 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TEF
As much as I enjoy your great (analog) photography especially of rural Japan, I experience a certain melancholy at the sight of small-town derelict restaurants and businesses. Much like one experiences when visiting similar sized communities in the US. The paradox seems to be Japan's shortage of space is limited to urban centers (and a few touristic sites) while the rest of the country is virtually empty. On the other hand, this lack of population allows you some fun rides on lonely secondary roads. Having lived in Tokyo for four years, it was possible to drive out of the city on rare occasions, so it's fun to see photos of these small towns. By contrast, you have the advantage of seeing rural Japan in a Cayman, while I did it in a left-hand drive "87 Volvo 745 wagon.
Yes, Japan's country towns are slowly dying with the aging populations.
Even the larger cities will eventually see a decline in population.
But, in the interim the tourists will continue to flock mindlessly to their instagram defined destinations, carving their initials in sacred places, slowly contributing to their demise too.
Kyoto is already like some kitsch theme park, with little reality remaining about what made it serenely special in the first place.

One day, most of Japan will look like Gulliver's Kingdom or Hashima...

In the meantime, those of us with cool Volvo and the odd Cayman, can get out and enjoy the unique places, locals, and amazing sights and foods...
There is hope though, and if we can get one person to not go to Kyoto, and instead drive the summer roads in Hokkaido, we've made a difference!

Cynical mode off.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:22 AM
FlyinAg
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Shinkansen shares our front aero! Well, at least the chin strakes or 'split' splitter, however you want to call it.

Old 02-24-2020, 03:18 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

We have officially decided that Japan will be our next big family vacation and knowing my family I know they will want to experience Japan as it would be viewed by locals rather than tourists. I will have my wife read through this thread once we get closer to planning the trip. In the meantime I’m taking mental notes, cynicism included

We will be hosting Japanese exchange students next month so we will also ask them what they suggest, being young I think they can pinpoint what my kids would enjoy.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:58 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FlyinAg
Shinkansen shares our front aero! Well, at least the chin strakes or 'split' splitter, however you want to call it.
We need an aerodynamicist!
I do know the shink has a snow plow, the Cayman does not?
We have officially decided that Japan will be our next big family vacation and knowing my family I know they will want to experience Japan as it would be viewed by locals rather than tourists. I will have my wife read through this thread once we get closer to planning the trip. In the meantime I’m taking mental notes, cynicism included We will be hosting Japanese exchange students next month so we will also ask them what they suggest, being young I think they can pinpoint what my kids would enjoy.
Great stuff!
If you want more non-tourist Japan to reference - click here, and if you really need some deep stuff, here...
Though, Shimokitazawa is worth it any day.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:37 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 71 Posts

thank you for this thread, very interesting and enjoyable
Old 02-26-2020, 11:38 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko

Great stuff!
If you want more non-tourist Japan to reference - click here, and if you really need some deep stuff, here...
Though, Shimokitazawa is worth it any day.
Very cool, thank you for the links, there's some amazing content on there!
Old 02-27-2020, 07:09 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by grgallo
thank you for this thread, very interesting and enjoyable
NP!
918-207 is for sale up the end of my street with 680km, but I always seem too busy to stop past and have more than a quick look.
Or, I am carrying the groceries, and that's just tacky.

They also have one of these:

What do the dweebs say on BaT? 'I live nearby, happy to go and have a look for you...'

Very cool, thank you for the links, there's some amazing content on there!
I'm just the photographer...

Quick Reply: Japan Touring in a Cayman S.