Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Japan Touring in a Cayman S.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 08:18 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,692 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
What's been people's reactions to the new Supra over there? Do they see it only as a rebadged BMW, or are they showing it similar love as if it were 100% Japanese? I'd imagine people are disappointed at the lack of a manual too, right?
Hmmm... Generally speaking, Japan does not care deeply about stuff like this.
At least the BMW part.
The lack of a manual perhaps, but certainly not to the extent of noise in the West...

Japan, as you likely know, is typically more relaxed about most stuff.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:20 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Default Okutama-ko

A Sunday drive into the mountains of Tokyo's outskirts... Not too many photographs, as it was forecast for light rain and the roads were near empty, so there was more driving on the agenda.

I love infrastructure and civil engineering, and some bridges look just great!

Rare machine in red, even for Japan an Isuzu Piazza Nero.
There's possibly more in the US as some badge engineered thing?

The Bellett, well-known in race and rally scenes in APAC, but relatively obscure elsewhere I think.

If there's a touge nearby, there's always a Panda about.

If there's pedestrians nearby, there's always a Mustang about.
Though, in all seriousness, the Mach 1 fastback is pretty neat, and although it and a Cobra Mustang companion made a lot of V8 noise, there were no threatening antics.

Euro spec 2002.

Daihatsu Campagno Spider.

More infrastructure!

Home for a late lunch, even the usual mid-day expressway traffic was light.

Last shot on the roll, Imperial Palace grounds, next to work...
See ya!

(Camera; Voigtlander Bessa R3a. Film: Kodak Portra 400.)
The following users liked this post:
PhillyNate (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 07:05 AM
TEF
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

You must work near the Tokyo rail station. Also, the palace photo appears to be taken from a location different from where the traditional palace photo is made. I don't recall that stone structure in the foreground.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:15 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TEF
You must work near the Tokyo rail station. Also, the palace photo appears to be taken from a location different from where the traditional palace photo is made. I don't recall that stone structure in the foreground.
Hai!
The Palace grounds are huge, and there's stuff from Kudan****a to Kasumigaseki, and this little rotunda thing is here.
My office is down Hibiya-dori to the right...

Is this the view you are used to?

Past MacArthur's GHQ, which you used to be able to visit his office if you asked nicely...

PhillyNate (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 08:42 AM
TEF
Instructor

While at the US Embassy, it was sometimes necessary to visit MOFA in Kusumigaseki so the area is familiar. It's been a number of years since living in Tokyo, so I've forgotten how clean the streets are. Did one visit to the palace and used an entrance north of the standard tourist vista. It was for a traditional Noh concert. It was interminable and I recall trying not to fall asleep. Perhaps that is why the chairs were small and uncomfortable. You've done a great job portraying Japan in your photos. Contrary to the stereotypical view that everything looks like Tokyo, so much of the country is rural and centered on Family Marts, 7/11's and small pachinko parlors. As you've shown, Japan has a great esoteric car culture, but it seems to flourish outside of Tokyo where there is more room to drive and, more importantly, easy parking.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:51 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TEF
While at the US Embassy, it was sometimes necessary to visit MOFA in Kusumigaseki so the area is familiar. It's been a number of years since living in Tokyo, so I've forgotten how clean the streets are. Did one visit to the palace and used an entrance north of the standard tourist vista. It was for a traditional Noh concert. It was interminable and I recall trying not to fall asleep. Perhaps that is why the chairs were small and uncomfortable. You've done a great job portraying Japan in your photos. Contrary to the stereotypical view that everything looks like Tokyo, so much of the country is rural and centered on Family Marts, 7/11s and small pachinko parlors. As you've shown, Japan has a great esoteric car culture, but it seems to flourish outside of Tokyo where there is more room to drive and, more importantly, easy parking.
Interminable!
A perfect description of noh!

We typically try too to go beyond the konbeni, into deep countryside seeking all sorts of interesting stuff...

More to follow we hope.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:19 AM
sacman
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

I lived in Japan on an expat assignment for 1 year and this thread brings back so much nostalgic memories. Thanks and subscribed
QN
Old 08-01-2019, 07:56 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Default Typ Numbers?

Originally Posted by sacman
I lived in Japan on an expat assignment for 1 year and this thread brings back so much nostalgic memories. Thanks and subscribed
QN
Neat!
There's not too many expats left these days...
Did you spend much time out and about driving?

Shiritori for Porsche?
Sort of anyway...

The Isuzu 117 Coupe was designed by Giugiaro, and first made in limited numbers by hand.
It then morphed into the line of gen 2 here.

Perhaps a coincidence here:

Here too:

Here too?
Or, someone in the registration office with a sense of humor?

Obviously not a 356, but not a coincidence.

Drive...

Old 08-02-2019, 10:18 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Default Kosuge Touge

Rain season is over; yeah!
Heat season starts; bah!

Though, this does mean blue skies, and clear days, even if it is 30C day and night now for months.

With last Sunday in Tokyo planned for some shopping in Akihabara, I was surprised when my wife simply said, 'Let's get out the Cayman, and go for a drive'.

We joined the Chuo, and immediately were accompanied by what might have been a real GT Cup 911, but even in Japan these days possibly not.
The stock looking four side tips (not two central), perhaps suggesting just some aero and sticker conversion.

The express way though was relatively empty, and the post rain season blue skies starting to appear.

The cool of the mountains offered some relief from the heat, and we were envious of the fishermen in one of the cool rivers - seeking fresh water trout we assumed.

One of the many stout kura in the area, this one was 100% stone.

While photographing the kura, I heard a familiar growl, and turned around to see a Spyder toughing it out in the heat, obviously -ahhhh- enjoying the touge too.
It disappeared just as quickly.

Our last stop before lunch was a 150 year old minka, now reformed into a guest house and restaurant.
It opens next month, and we spent some time being given a tour of the converted spaces.

Curiously too, they had also chosen to furnish the 1880s' buildings with mid-century modern furniture, like we have with our minka.
Although, while we used cheap stuff from Rakuten, they had original European pieces at we assume ridiculous cost.
It did look glorious though, and would be a great stop for anyone taking a tour of the local touge and sights.

Lunch at the Kosuge Michi-no-Eki (road station) was a glorious wood-fired pizza.
Yes, with Tabasco too, something I was originally aghast at, but now mandatory.

Next, the drive home...

Here's a quick vid from Nipponia, that also captures the feel of the area and the drive very well:

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 08-02-2019 at 11:23 PM.
PhillyNate (08-03-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 10:43 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

A quick set from the drive home...

As well as a continuous series of bikes, the roads around Kosuge are filled with a variety of other machines.
The day we passed a couple of Abarth, Ferrari, more than a few Porsche, and of course a pile of the typical Japanese touge hunters.

There's not too many minka (old farmhouses) in the area, but lots of kura (storage houses).
This one was particularly stout.

Faded Abe poster on a typical Japanese rural business, and some great corners.

More bridges!

Great views, with most of these pics taken within Tokyo city limits.

American muscle, leaving no doubt about the meaning of '8'.

I stopped to talk to the driver of this Beat, and we had a laugh over our mutual mid-engined-ness.
Kei (660cc) have yellow / black plates, yet this Beat (unlike the one above) has a regular white / dark-green plate (like the Cayman), as it has been substantially tweaked - bigger pistons, massive turbo, larger intake and cooling system.
It now breaths through bumper and trunk cutouts, with the intake consuming a big part of the originally small trunk.
Bigger wheels and brakes, and a cutaway rear valance ensure sufficient stopping and cooling are available.

All of this takes it out of the usual kei registration regime (with strict power limits), but takes it into the open fun at 10,000 rpm category...

We'll be trying R206 next time...

(Camera: Voigtlander Bessa R3a. Film: Kodak Portra 400.)
Old 08-09-2019, 11:56 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Seeing these pics makes me want to live in Japan, these roads and scenery looks amazing. With so much foliage in the mountains I bet it smells like you’re in a dense forest in a convertible.

How long is the driving season assuming you put the car away just before the first snowfall and wait for the roads to clean up before you start driving again?
Old 08-10-2019, 06:03 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Seeing these pics makes me want to live in Japan, these roads and scenery looks amazing. With so much foliage in the mountains I bet it smells like you’re in a dense forest in a convertible.

How long is the driving season assuming you put the car away just before the first snowfall and wait for the roads to clean up before you start driving again?
In Tokyo, last year's driving season was 360 days.
It doesn't snow that often, though with global heating, that seems to be changing unfortunately with what was mild differences becoming more extreme.
This would be the same for most of Kanto, and Eastern Japan.
The North though, is a lot different, with heavy snow and stuff like the snow canyons seen on TV a regular occurrence.

The roads near our house stayed clear all year last year, and even though we're in a semi mountainous area, the pic above turned out to be our heaviest snow:

Old 08-10-2019, 01:15 PM
TEF
Instructor

What no obligatory pirate ship in the "lake" pictures? As I recall they had one in Hakone at the foot of Mt.Fuji.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:36 PM
TEF
Instructor

Another item of interest (to Americans) from your montage is photo of one of those mechanical men used at road construction sites in cities. Barriers and lights are not enough, they insist on human-like figures to direct traffic around construction.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:13 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TEF
What no obligatory pirate ship in the "lake" pictures? As I recall they had one in Hakone at the foot of Mt.Fuji.
Ha!
There's at least two pirate ships, a whale, and a swan on those tourist lakes.
We generally find ourselves on the 'wrong' side of Fuji-san though, with not a selfie-stick in sight.
Same same for most other places too, where we like exploring the other Japan.

Originally Posted by TEF
Another item of interest (to Americans) from your montage is photo of one of those mechanical men used at road construction sites in cities. Barriers and lights are not enough, they insist on human-like figures to direct traffic around construction.
Indeed!
There's a whole book to be made on roadworks and their barriers (rabbits! frogs! giraffe!) and traffic lights (blue for go!) and their mechanical men (with helmet!) and their mechanical men displays.

Let me look in the photograph archives to start...

Quick Reply: Japan Touring in a Cayman S.