Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Japan Touring in a Cayman S.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 08:40 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,744 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Stunning scenery....and those roads! Wow! I’m surprised convertibles aren’t more prevalent with that type of scenery and roads.
Wait until you see the Northern Alps, but yeah.
The coast in Japan - when not concreted over - is pretty nice...

Convertibles - while it could be argued the modern convertible sports car owes its existence to the Mazda Roadster (MX-5 / Miata), most Japanese prefer the isolationist roof-up, aircon on.
Try buying a car with a sunroof to start - few and far between.
The weather has a lot to do with it, but so does the cultural bit of wanting to not getting dirty.

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Congrats on the mileage milestone! Sounds crazy but I celebrate such milestones by doing something special for my car. It’s like celebrating a birthday. Shouldn’t let these events pass by without some recognition and hoopla .Here’s to the next 40,000km.
I can remember taking my 2.7S over 200,000km.
That was a real event...

How did a 2.7 last that long?
It didn't, that was two rebuilds, new studs, and Carrera tensioners (for those aircooled, still following).

No idea how many I put on the A, but it was driven daily for many years...
Old 08-30-2019, 09:19 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Default Boso Coast

One of the great things about Boso Hanto is we have mountain roads and the coast to explore.
With a tough week at work, we decided to take a slow drive around the coast, and look for a fresh fish lunch...

Lots of local shops to explore.

There's plenty to look at, and stopping at one little fishing village, we asked a local where the best fresh restaurant was, and she didn't hesitate to recommend Hamafushi for sushi...

Even compared to high-end sushi in Tokyo, it was just amazing, and possibly some of the best fish we've had in a long time.

Many of the shops and restaurants took their produce from the fisherman who dock their boats on the opposite side of the street.

The coastal roads are interesting, though in some places only wide enough for one car.
The views - even with the remnants of a recent typhoon hanging about - are very nice.

(Camera: Bessa R3a. Film: Portra 400.)
The following 3 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
kiznarsh (08-30-2019), Marine Blue (09-03-2019), PhillyNate (08-30-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 02:39 AM
FlyinAg
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Awesome pics! I spent a week in Japan for work a couple years ago, with most my visit in the Nagoya / Gifu area and Kyoto. Was such an amazing trip full of great sights, food, culture and people. I'd love to tour it in my Cayman for sure!
Old 09-06-2019, 08:26 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FlyinAg
Awesome pics! I spent a week in Japan for work a couple years ago, with most my visit in the Nagoya / Gifu area and Kyoto. Was such an amazing trip full of great sights, food, culture and people. I'd love to tour it in my Cayman for sure!
Thanks!
Even without a Cayman, its great - you can spend a lifetime touring new and interesting places, all different...

It's been a bit hectic lately with typhoons and stuff, so not much touring, but here's a random set from previous runs:

(Camera: Bronica S2. Film: Kodak Ektar 100.)
Old 09-09-2019, 11:46 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 125 Posts

Psst...

Not gonna lie, this thread was partially responsible for me wanting to try out film. I've gone through my first roll of Portra 400 and plan on dropping it off at a lab in the next few days. No Cayman shots yet (it's filthy) but took a couple of the M5. I'll probably stick with the current lens (50mm f/1.2) as I only see myself using the FM2N occasionally.

Thought you'd like to know.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:38 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
Psst... Not gonna lie, this thread was partially responsible for me wanting to try out film. I've gone through my first roll of Portra 400 and plan on dropping it off at a lab in the next few days. No Cayman shots yet (it's filthy) but took a couple of the M5. I'll probably stick with the current lens (50mm f/1.2) as I only see myself using the FM2N occasionally. Thought you'd like to know.
Whoa!
f1.2 is impressive; and with that Portra you should be able to go crazy...
A dirty Cayman on film, at night sounds pretty good to me!

The following users liked this post:
porscheflatsix (03-31-2020)
Old 09-13-2019, 08:46 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

No roads for Cayman for a while...
Typhoon Faxai took the roads out, water, power, telephone, and most of our roof.

Not really worthy of anything, as there's plenty of people worse off than us, and we're trying to help as many as possible.
But, one thing made me smile, as I had been too lazy to buy some motor oil for the never used generator and only had Cayman top-up Mobil 1 at the minka - and the four stroke, air-cooled generator running Mobil 1 smells just like my old 911S...

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 05-29-2020 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:55 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Wow I didn’t realize the typhoon winds were that damaging. Good luck with the recovery and getting the roof repairs done quickly.

I’m assuming the roads were taken out by mudslides or did they actually wash out?

Old 09-13-2019, 11:16 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

So very sorry to hear this, but glad you and yours were not hurt. Mother Nature has a way of periodically reminding us who is boss. Best of luck addressing the damage to your property and be safe.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:20 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Thanks all for the wishes, as it is a bit of a shock to see your roof scattered all over the place.
We've cleaned up most of it, and are just hoping for nothing but light rains until it is fixed as we're not sure how good the thatch is...
Old 09-18-2019, 04:16 AM
Cayman292
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Thanks all for the wishes, as it is a bit of a shock to see your roof scattered all over the place.
We've cleaned up most of it, and are just hoping for nothing but light rains until it is fixed as we're not sure how good the thatch is...
Glad most of your house is ok. Good luck with the cleanup. Assuming the white Cayman is safe.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:24 PM
startroops
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that but like most Japanese, you are all resilient and I am sure life will be back to normal in no time!
Old 09-19-2019, 07:36 PM
startroops
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!
Even without a Cayman, its great - you can spend a lifetime touring new and interesting places, all different...

It's been a bit hectic lately with typhoons and stuff, so not much touring, but here's a random set from previous runs:

(Camera: Bronica S2. Film: Kodak Ektar 100.)
Cool, that's 銀山温泉 right? We are looking forward to checking it out next year's fall when we go on a Tohoku road trip!
Old 09-20-2019, 12:14 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cayman292
Glad most of your house is ok. Good luck with the cleanup. Assuming the white Cayman is safe.
Yup!
24 hours earlier, it was parked where part of the roof landed...
So, close though.

Originally Posted by startroops
Sorry to hear that but like most Japanese, you are all resilient and I am sure life will be back to normal in no time!
Hope so!
Provided the temp roof repair lasts the coming rains and more typhoons we should be OK.
With global heating though, we expect more like this unfortunately.

Originally Posted by startroops
Cool, that's 銀山温泉 right? We are looking forward to checking it out next year's fall when we go on a Tohoku road trip!
はい!
Tohoku is great, tanbo art, sea food, cave exploring, touge!
You'll have a great time...
Old 10-03-2019, 06:56 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

... normal service is resumed.
Parked off in the country, this 924 has seen more love once I am sure.

Sunday morning in Yokohama, for some reason had an unusually large contingent of horizontally opposed machines...

2.7 twin-plug S!

Snarling Hakosuka.
They sound very Jag-like at high rpm.

Early series handmade Giugiaro-designed Coupe 117.

PTS I think?

Cayman line-up.

Grubby Aston.

More air-cooled goodness.

More Fuch!

Nice CE passing through our local matsuri on the way home...

Quick Reply: Japan Touring in a Cayman S.