Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Japan Touring in a Cayman S.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 10:16 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko

At 05:30 on a Sunday, the roads are empty...

This set of corners was particularly smooth, even for Japan.

Camera: Bessa R3a. Film: Portra 400.)
Sweet road, sweet pic (w/film ) !

Easy to image your car (or mine ) on that road powering out of one turn into the next.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:49 PM
TEF
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I spent four years in Tokyo at the US Embassy and your photo montage brings back memories. I don't think most tourists visiting Japan (and mostly in the larger cities) realize the existence of quaint rural Japan. It also reminds me of how the Japanese are such avid hobbyists. They do nothing halfway as evidence by its thriving car culture even in the hinterlands. How did you happen on to all of those car events? Are you a Japanese speaker who would have seen them on the internet. Last of all, the photos done on film cameras are very nice. Not sure why, but the color tone of film seems so rich. What a great job of showing a side of Japan that most people never see.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:24 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,790 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
Sweet road, sweet pic (w/film ) ! Easy to image your car (or mine ) on that road powering out of one turn into the next.
Gah...
Same same with me - sitting in an office in Marunouchi, looking at the blue sky, and knowing there's a nice cool summer breeze blowing on a 25C day, it's borderline distracting thinking about powering out of corners like these.
I've got a touge shoot organized for Friday though, so hopefully I can wait that long.
First World Problems I know.

Originally Posted by TEF
I spent four years in Tokyo at the US Embassy and your photo montage brings back memories. I don't think most tourists visiting Japan (and mostly in the larger cities) realize the existence of quaint rural Japan. It also reminds me of how the Japanese are such avid hobbyists. They do nothing halfway as evidence by its thriving car culture even in the hinterlands. How did you happen on to all of those car events? Are you a Japanese speaker who would have seen them on the internet. Last of all, the photos done on film cameras are very nice. Not sure why, but the color tone of film seems so rich. What a great job of showing a side of Japan that most people never see.
Thanks... Nice posting too!
Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately for the rest of us, most first time visitors to Japan are just interested in the social media bragging op.
You have to be able to fight social pressure to do something different...

There are more car events than you can possibly attend.
As well as being listed in local car magazines, we also get invited by kyusha friends, and friends of friends from other events.

People have mostly forgotten what film looks like - so regular snaps look special, simply because of film's latitude for exposure.
Digital looks harsh and often lacks details in shadows and highlights, whereas film copes with a wider range of light - looking more natural and smooth.
I still use digital of course, but just for throwaway stuff.

See ya!
Neko
Old 06-16-2019, 11:51 PM
TEF
Instructor

Given your "Black Cat" member name and the slang use of old car lovers (kyusha), it;s obvious that you are a Japanese speaker. Actually, your motoring trip of Japan is also quite unusual. For Americans a road trip is second nature, but I recall my Japanese colleagues at the embassy viewing long drives as insanity. When an American colleague decided to drive from Tokyo to Hokkaido with his family, his Japanese friends thought he was a curiosity. No one, except truck drivers, make trips of that distance. It explains why used cars in Japan, that are almost new, end up all over Asia and the left-hand drive world. Due to that rigorous inspection after three years, most Japanese buy new cars rather than fixing "old" ones. I doubt that most cars in Japan have more than 10K miles when sold for new ones. Therefore, your driving trip around Japan must have seemed amazing to most Japanese, plus it was done in a Porsche. As I recall, gas was not that expensive. It was the tolls, especially in the Tokyo area, that were really expensive.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:31 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Default クロネコ。。。

Originally Posted by TEF
Given your "Black Cat" member name and the slang use of old car lovers (kyusha), it;s obvious that you are a Japanese speaker. Actually, your motoring trip of Japan is also quite unusual. For Americans a road trip is second nature, but I recall my Japanese colleagues at the embassy viewing long drives as insanity. When an American colleague decided to drive from Tokyo to Hokkaido with his family, his Japanese friends thought he was a curiosity. No one, except truck drivers, make trips of that distance. It explains why used cars in Japan, that are almost new, end up all over Asia and the left-hand drive world. Due to that rigorous inspection after three years, most Japanese buy new cars rather than fixing "old" ones. I doubt that most cars in Japan have more than 10K miles when sold for new ones. Therefore, your driving trip around Japan must have seemed amazing to most Japanese, plus it was done in a Porsche. As I recall, gas was not that expensive. It was the tolls, especially in the Tokyo area, that were really expensive.
Ha!
True words there.
We were photographed once in Aomori-ken, not because of our car but because of the 品川 number plate.
Basically the same as seeing a plate from CA in CO, was totally outlandish...

Shaken isn't really as onerous as the internet talk, here's a more accurate summary, but the end result is often the same - sell and buy a new one, because even if it only costs 2000 yen, its often easier.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:24 PM
TEF
Instructor

Your map with the "Shuto" heading brought back nightmares of Tokyo-area traffic. My American colleagues and I would travel on it each Saturday morning to a US military golf course, Tama Hills, it the direction of Yakota AB. Leaving early morning from Akasaka was a breeze. However after golf, we had to make the return trip in the afternoon when traffic seemed at its peak. If we could get within a couple miles of our exit, we'd use the "diplomatic" lane otherwise known as the berm to exit the Shuto near Akasaka Mitsike and home. I was really nice to have those dip plates at times.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:34 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 125 Posts

That poor 928...

Is there any kinda law that prevents people from abandoning cars that turn to rust buckets? Or can you do whatever you want since it's on your property? I know that 928 isn't that bad but eventually it could turn into an eyesore.

I've driven through a lot of remote areas and there are tons of old cars (mostly trucks) that seemingly haven't been moved in 40 years. Just slowly deteriorating and withering away.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:59 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Default Abandoned?

Originally Posted by TEF
Your map with the "Shuto" heading brought back nightmares of Tokyo-area traffic. My American colleagues and I would travel on it each Saturday morning to a US military golf course, Tama Hills, it the direction of Yakota AB. Leaving early morning from Akasaka was a breeze. However after golf, we had to make the return trip in the afternoon when traffic seemed at its peak. If we could get within a couple miles of our exit, we'd use the "diplomatic" lane otherwise known as the berm to exit the Shuto near Akasaka Mitsike and home. I was really nice to have those dip plates at times.
With Webelos in the family, Camp Zama and Tama were on our regular run, so I know that pain...

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
That poor 928... Is there any kinda law that prevents people from abandoning cars that turn to rust buckets? Or can you do whatever you want since it's on your property? I know that 928 isn't that bad but eventually it could turn into an eyesore. I've driven through a lot of remote areas and there are tons of old cars (mostly trucks) that seemingly haven't been moved in 40 years. Just slowly deteriorating and withering away.
In Japan? None.

Some of the stuff I've seen rotting - as you suggest - is quite astounding.
You can find GT-R, Rolls, BMW, Ferrari, Lamborghini, and stuff like that if you know where to look.

This Cayman hasn't moved in nearly six years...

This abandoned showroom had some interesting stuff too:

Old 06-18-2019, 01:37 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Wow, abandoned showroom! So what was in it, anything worth buying?
Old 06-18-2019, 02:44 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Wow, abandoned showroom! So what was in it, anything worth buying?
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that R5 Turbo!
Old 06-19-2019, 06:24 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Default Abandoned Testarossa?

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that R5 Turbo!
Or, perhaps what looks like a Testarossa under the blankets?
I've not really looked at what the red thing was until now...

Though the Hakosuka has period mods, it's not a GT-R.
Then it would be worth more than the Ferrari these days!

Old 06-21-2019, 10:14 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Default Tokyo Bayside Classic Cup

With the warmer weather, we got up a bit earlier to time our arrival with the unloading of the day's competitors...

Honda twin-cams unload.

The first Cayman we've seen at the TBCC, and one of perhaps more to follow...

Small capacity squad.

This T360 is something of a local legend.
Simply because its original 360cc twin-cam has been replaced with the roller-bearing, four-carb 600cc mill from an S600.
Beefed up with a few goodies, on soft-compound tires, its mid-engined configuration, with low weight, a relatively low center-of-gravity and 11,000 rpm means it can get up to some seriously fast cornering antics.
Its been known to pass many faster cars around the tighter corners at Sodegaura accordingly...
Kenny Roberts as signed the dash for some reason I missed.

Here, the owner is putting in a set of cooler plugs for the warm day.
The twin-cammed head is right there.

I've never owned - or even driven - a classic Alfa, but they're very appealing in most forms.
Particularly GT Am-like!

This twin-cam Lagonda Rapier made some glorious noises.
That massive supercharger whining away merrily.
I liked the 1930s' race-modded front brake duct work.

The dash on this MG was neat.

This 911T looked original throughout, but as the paint was so consistent it was perhaps the result of an older restoration.
The interior though was certainly original, with a glorious lived-in look...

More details on the GT Am Alfa.
Any Alfa experts here?
We had a period Am at Sodegaura once, but not sure if this was.

See ya!
Neko
Old 06-22-2019, 11:02 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I love that the car culture in Japan is still exceptionally strong, that hopefully encourages the local manufacturers to continue producing some great sports cars.

I am curious, as a local what brands are considered most coveted amongst the Japanese car enthusiasts?
Old 06-24-2019, 12:26 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I am curious, as a local what brands are considered most coveted amongst the Japanese car enthusiasts?
Good question!
In Japan, we basically like everything* - and regularly see Panda to Agera.
Here's a quick set of street driven stuff from my commute or neighborhood...

... and a friend sent me this phone snap on the weekend:

* insert joke about RWB.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:25 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Yes please.

Quick Reply: Japan Touring in a Cayman S.