Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman “Street Cup” Journey

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 05:46 PM
cfarm3r
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by atterbud
Your car looks fantastic and I will definitely be looking at some of your bodywork mods for my own car, especially the splitter. I came from a 2016 Corvette Z06 and decided to try a Boxster as something I could mod and play with, but that was smaller and more nimble than the Z06. I moved to the US in 2001 from the UK and have several years of Caterham ownership (and a little racing) in my dim and distant past, as well as a couple of WRX's imported from Japan.

I took a different route to you, but also one that many will think unnecessary or pointless. I found a 2016 Boxster GTS with 7,500 miles for what now looks like a screaming deal last winter. Since then I have installed Dundon intake runners, IDP plenum and 82mm throttle body, Cargraphic race headers, and an FVD Brombacher tune. On the suspension side, I have also installed GT3 lower control arms (Porsche motorsport with rubber inner mounts), Tarrett front and rear adjustable sway bars with monoball drop links, Tarret adjustable Compression links, Bilstein B16 Damptronic dampers with Tarret Swift spring conversion and monoball top mounts, and a DSC controller. Finally, I swapped out the brakes for a Brembo front and rear big brake kit. The only cosmetic changes were Apex wheels and I changed the steering wheel to the 718 alcantara multifunction wheel.

Many of the parts I bought used from this excellent forum and I did most of the installation myself. I used a local shop (SST in Danbury, CT) to do the intake stuff as I had no desire to fight with getting the engine cover off on a Boxster! I use the car all summer for my 50 minute backroads commute to work and plan to do a few HDPE's each year as time and finances permit. I love working on my cars and had in mind to create the best handling car I could for my budget. I have really enjoyed the journey to date and car is an absolute blast to drive, but still perfect for weekend rides with my very understanding wife.

My future planned mods are moving to catted headers (the race headers fantastic but are just too loud for a convertible), rear duck tail, GT4 side intake cowls and a front splitter. The last is a tough one as there is pretty much nothing available for the GTS nose. Finally, when I am feeling considerably richer, I would like to swap out the Bilsteins for DSC Tractive dampers.

Good luck with your continuing mods and I look forward to reading about your continued progress, and looking at your excellent photography!
Always take the path least traveled and go outside the norm, that's what I always did with my cars and it seems you are doing that too. It's funny because when I had the Subaru I ordered most of my stuff from rally shops in the UK. Glad you are enjoying yourself and the process.

Do you have a thread about your Boxster?
Old 05-27-2022, 10:04 PM
cfarm3r
Instructor

Finally got the new seats into the car. I love how they contrast with the rest of the cars theme. I’m waiting for a custom set of floor mats that have Pepita tied into them as well. They should really set the car off!

had several miscellaneous items to address and install on the car but finally had some time for a drive. Enjoy!

The following 2 users liked this post by cfarm3r:
brake dust (05-21-2024), GentianGentleman (07-04-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 11:58 PM
Cyclman
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 288 Posts

Just wow.
The following users liked this post:
cfarm3r (05-28-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 04:20 AM
GentianGentleman
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

this is such a great build, keep going! what is on the exhaust side?
Old 06-08-2022, 10:14 AM
cfarm3r
Instructor

Originally Posted by GentianGentleman
this is such a great build, keep going! what is on the exhaust side?
Thanks for the kind words! Soul race exhaust. John was great to work and it sounds amazing. Probably should have gone with the mufflers though, there is some drone.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:26 AM
981SPcar
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have two questions if you don't mind. Is the rear spoiler the Techart version? Second, which Porsche and Cayman script do you have on the rear bumper? I absolutely love the car!!
Old 06-16-2022, 10:33 AM
cfarm3r
Instructor

Originally Posted by 981SPcar
I have two questions if you don't mind. Is the rear spoiler the Techart version? Second, which Porsche and Cayman script do you have on the rear bumper? I absolutely love the car!!
It is NOT an actual TechArt spoiler. I'm all for supporting companies and understand R&D costs, but I'm not a fan of being bent over for 4k for what that thing is made out of. It is a knock off that I took the time to sand/fill and get it right before paint. There are products that are just not worth the price tag IMO and some companies that just take advantage of the customer makeup metrics.

All the decals are OEM from Suncoast Porsche Parts except the door decals that say "Street Cup". I had those made.

Last edited by cfarm3r; 06-16-2022 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:33 PM
cfarm3r
Instructor

Hey folks, I’ve been waiting for several things to arrive and a bunch of small projects I wanted to get done to the car.

FVD came through with the custom floor mats to match the seats. I waited on these for a little bit from Germany but so glad I pulled the trigger on them.

Next I had a few items from Suncoast Parts to install, mainly OEM replacement pieces for both the interior and exterior. I also picked up some touch-up paint for various spots on the car.

I had my wife assist and install the hood protector from Suncoast on the cup car hood, I guess it’s supposed to protect the hood if you close/slam it with something larger in the frunk. Idk if I believe all that but it does give the otherwise stark white underside some nice contrast.

The wife also found this Pepita style blanket that she thought would look good in the car. I guess her thought process is that it would be nice to have if we go to concerts or drive in movies? Either way maybe I’ll get Pepita blanket hand gestures from the wife now 😂.

Oh and now I can take my car into any restaurant, retail establishment, airplane etc. because it’s my emotional support vehicle.

I also had been wanting the GT4RS caps that are now labeled all of sudden. Not sure why Porsche decided to do that after all these years but they did. I reached out to Suncoast to see if they would sell them yet and rather then buying new caps, after talking with them and agreeing it would be a hot item, they had decals made instead and started selling them. I should get a cut of the profits. Anywho they sent me an extra set so first come first serve if anyone wants them, message me and I’ll mail them to you at your expense.

Last edited by cfarm3r; 06-25-2022 at 05:41 PM.
Kevin CS (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 06:14 PM
Kevin CS
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 139 Posts

Those mats go so great with the seats; very nice! I'm not going to guess what those pepita blanket hand gestures might be; this is a family-oriented forum, after all... And I love the Emotional Support Vehicle sticker - where did you find that?
Old 06-25-2022, 06:49 PM
cfarm3r
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevin CS
Those mats go so great with the seats; very nice! I'm not going to guess what those pepita blanket hand gestures might be; this is a family-oriented forum, after all... And I love the Emotional Support Vehicle sticker - where did you find that?
I found it here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154484920267
Old 06-25-2022, 07:51 PM
Kevin CS
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by cfarm3r
Thanks!
Old 07-02-2022, 02:28 AM
Apexshredder81
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Car looks great, and real cool pics, but you fried my 56k modem! jkjk
cfarm3r (07-02-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 09:47 PM
GentianGentleman
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

wow i love the mats
cfarm3r (07-04-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 10:26 PM
cfarm3r
Instructor

Old 08-25-2022, 01:33 AM
afflux
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Awesome build! Did the hood come with the ducts underneath?

Quick Reply: Cayman “Street Cup” Journey