Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman “Street Cup” Journey

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 11:56 AM
cfarm3r
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Cayman “Street Cup” Journey

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for taking a peek. I have been a long time lurker but finally posting. For several years I’ve been around all types of Porsche Race cars but never owned one.

For many years I was building a Subaru road race car and as life changes (Marriage, Kids, Jobs, Priorities) the Subaru was something I knew would have to be given up. Luckily the car was well known throughout the community and selling it wasn’t going to be hard.

I knew that natural progression would take me from a flat 4 engine to a flat 6 engine.The dream to this day is still 2011 997.2 GT3 but this is out of reach at the moment.

During the pandemic, a lot of things changed and like many I found myself with a little more time to ponder what I would do next with my car hobby. Over the past two years I was fortunate to assist a team at Pikes Peak and was surrounded by many fantastic Porsche cars built for the hill climb. I met many great people like Betim Berisha (BBi Autosport), Joey Seely (Emotion Engineering) Jeff Zwart (Photographer and Porsche Aficionado). While talking to several people about an entry position into Porsche. The answer was the same, “Cayman”.

Now I’m sure I will be ridiculed for the decision I made but hear me out. I knew this would be a car that I can utilize on the weekends with my wife when we have time to ourselves, a placeholder until the 911 comes and something I wouldn’t drive too often. After some searching I found myself with a 2015 Cayman Base 6 Speed MT.

I spent the next two years combing through websites and spending way too much with Suncoast Porsche Parts to return the car back to mint spec. Then I utilized several contacts to put together parts to make it my own. I decided to go for a “Street Cup” design although probably an oxymoron since the car is “slow”.

It is a work in progress and I hope to continue using this thread to document the journey. Please feel free to comment, ask questions , criticize and assist in the journey!

I will also post below some pictures from the 98th & 99th Pikes Peak International Hill Climb adventures and other programs I’ve been apart of.

Last edited by cfarm3r; 04-03-2022 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Spelling errors.
The following 4 users liked this post by cfarm3r:
Chrismalberts (04-03-2022), Frank Abe (04-05-2022), Kevin CS (04-03-2022), maschinetheist (04-06-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 01:32 PM
DC021
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

Thanks for sharing your journey Farmer, having also come from the Subaru Time attack circles, I wish I had come directly to porsches, but took an unexpected detour thru a few other Marques.

Currently in the process of building a Boxster T for the wifey to complement the GT4 and Racecars… the “slow” vehicle might just be the perfect vehicle.

What are your plans, suspension wise for the car?
Old 04-03-2022, 01:56 PM
cfarm3r
Instructor

Originally Posted by DC021
Thanks for sharing your journey Farmer, having also come from the Subaru Time attack circles, I wish I had come directly to porsches, but took an unexpected detour thru a few other Marques.

Currently in the process of building a Boxster T for the wifey to complement the GT4 and Racecars… the “slow” vehicle might just be the perfect vehicle.

What are your plans, suspension wise for the car?
I had a nice conversation with a gentleman from JRZ at the Pike. I'm thinking along the lines of JRZ RS2's along with a plethora of BBi suspension products to compliment them. It's so hard not to go down the path of "race car" and keep it a true street comfy car but I'm trying my best to find that balance.

Last edited by cfarm3r; 04-03-2022 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-03-2022, 03:42 PM
ztrevs
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cfarm3r
Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.

Are you able to share any details on the front lip setup?
Old 04-03-2022, 05:09 PM
cfarm3r
Instructor

Originally Posted by ztrevs
Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.

Are you able to share any details on the front lip setup?
Sure. It started life as a TWL front lip, I then had it taken back down CAREFULLY to the carbon and removed some imperfections even though it was new. I then had it sprayed with a matte finish and used some AJ Hartman aero splitter pucks.

Many parts on the car follow a similar fashion such as the Verus Engineering side splitters in matte carbon. As well as the Rennsport One canards that Justin from RS1 made for me.

I even snagged the very last 997 GT3 carbon gurney (yes, the last one in the world) and refinished that in matte carbon as well. It mated well with the cup style wing kit I put on the car.

The following users liked this post:
Frank Abe (04-05-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 05:26 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 412 Likes on 248 Posts

I thought that lip looked familiar, but I didn't want to post in case I was wrong. I've had the same TWL front splitter on mine since about 2015, but with the stock gloss finish. At first I thought you may have wrapped a TWL splitter when I first saw your images as I wasnt aware of a satin finish, but then thought "who would wrap a CF splitter with fake CF vinyl?"
Old 04-03-2022, 05:31 PM
cfarm3r
Instructor

Originally Posted by ICNU
I thought that lip looked familiar, but I didn't want to post in case I was wrong. I've had the same TWL front splitter on mine since about 2015, but with the stock gloss finish. At first I thought you may have wrapped a TWL splitter when I first saw your images as I wasnt aware of a satin finish, but then thought "who would wrap a CF splitter with fake CF vinyl?"
Correct! I’ve gotten many questions and compliments on it. It wasn’t easy on the wallet to do it but I think it was well worth it to completely refinish it.
The following 2 users liked this post by cfarm3r:
ICNU (04-04-2022), Mike Dodd (10-24-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 05:33 PM
Chrismalberts
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

Awesome car. Do you have any mechanical / performance mods? If so, what and which did you feel were best results/$? Also, can you elaborate on your steering wheel. Looks like you started with the sport design wheel and added carbon fiber and perforated leather....this is relevant to my interests.
Old 04-03-2022, 05:58 PM
cfarm3r
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chrismalberts
Awesome car. Do you have any mechanical / performance mods? If so, what and which did you feel were best results/$? Also, can you elaborate on your steering wheel. Looks like you started with the sport design wheel and added carbon fiber and perforated leather....this is relevant to my interests.
I do have engine performance mods!
  • Soul Performance Race Exhaust
  • BMC race air filters
  • GT3 Throttle Body
  • IPD Intake Manifold
  • Cobb Accessport (Custom Tune)

With that being said, it’s hard to say what made the most impact as I did them all within a span of a couple months and didn’t drive the car in between. If I were to guess it was probably the tune or exhaust.

As far as the wheel. I purchased it from someone who had a sport design wheel completely redone. The wheel was thickened and wrapped in leather with white stitching to match the interior theme. A 12 o’clock thin white stripe was added before clear coat on the wheel.

I also had a custom **** made my DB Carbon I’m Germany to match. Several OEM options including the painted dash set to continue the theme. I have some updates coming soon in the way of seats, brackets, safety equipment and some hard to come by stuff.

I think my favorite mod, but also pointless in terms of performance is the 991 cup hood. Purchased straight from Germany 🇩🇪 from FVD.net

Last edited by cfarm3r; 04-03-2022 at 06:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cfarm3r:
Chrismalberts (04-05-2022), gt3rs. (04-03-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 09:38 AM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 347 Likes on 225 Posts

Nice pics of PP and yours. Thanks for sharing! We need more build threads on these forums imo. Great way to see peoples journey w/ the car, enjoy their pictures and ask questions along the way.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:15 AM
cfarm3r
Instructor

Originally Posted by IndigoInkTaco
Nice pics of PP and yours. Thanks for sharing! We need more build threads on these forums imo. Great way to see peoples journey w/ the car, enjoy their pictures and ask questions along the way.
It's been quite a while since I participated in any kind of forum but I agree, It allows people to gather inspiration for their cars and it allows me to share with people who have similar interests.
Old 04-04-2022, 05:19 PM
guillaume2007
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Absolutely love it! Looks stunning.
The following users liked this post:
cfarm3r (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 07:21 PM
morel
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Love it!