Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman “Street Cup” Journey

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 09:58 AM
Chrismalberts
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts

Awesome, thanks. The carbon transforms the sport design wheel, which is a little overbright and plastic-chromey for my liking, but it's better than the alternative. Matches the shift **** perfectly. Very nice!
Old 04-05-2022, 10:33 AM
cfarm3r
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrismalberts
Awesome, thanks. The carbon transforms the sport design wheel, which is a little overbright and plastic-chromey for my liking, but it's better than the alternative. Matches the shift **** perfectly. Very nice!
No problem, Hindsight is 20/20 and I probably should have continued the matte carbon look in the interior but figured, gloss on the inside and matte on the outside.
Old 04-05-2022, 11:57 AM
loworbitsi
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

A fellow 981 base owner checking in to say your car looks great!
Congrats! Any information on the engine specs / dyno results?
Old 04-05-2022, 12:59 PM
cfarm3r
Instructor

Originally Posted by loworbitsi
A fellow 981 base owner checking in to say your car looks great!
Congrats! Any information on the engine specs / dyno results?
No Dyno numbers as of yet. All the work was done by me and the tune was done through logging/emails. Once I get around to putting the seats I have in, I'll be making a trip down to see Justin at RS1 so he can program out the airbags. At that point maybe ill see if I can schedule some Dyno time to see what she's making. I have to imagine its probably at the 300 mark or just under? We will find out soon and I'll be sure to share!

As a side note I have thought about a swap of some sort. I have access to so many great people here in Florida.. RS1, BGB, Velocity etc.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:01 AM
cfarm3r
Instructor

I figured I would list some of the parts and installs that are coming up next.
  • Seating
    • Recaro Pole Position Classic ABE (Pepita)
    • BBI Autosport seat brackets and sliders
    • Porsche OEM Fire Extinguisher setup
      • All factory parts including bracket, strap and cup
      • OEM Gloria Fire Extinguisher from recent Rennlist Group Buy directly from Germany

• Sport Chrono Addition
    • Porsche Sport Chrono Gauge
      • White to match the interior
    • Factory wiring harness
    • Factory Bezel

Utilizing the DIY thread here on Rennlist I am really looking forward to the Sport Chrono project and I think the seats will be an awesome addition. I have been pondering on replacing the seat belts, possibly to yellow but with no yellow accents it doesn't make too much sense. So I was looking for white but the closest I could find was a light silver. I could always stick with black but if anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them!

Last edited by cfarm3r; 04-15-2022 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-17-2022, 12:24 AM
cfarm3r
Instructor

Default Sport Chrono Retrofit

I spent a good portion of today installing the Sport Chrono clock into the car.

First I had to prepare the wiring harness.

Then I had to create a template for cutting out the dash.

Sport Chrono installed.

Once I wired the gauge up by tapping into the PCM harness, the gauge did come on and set itself to the appropriate time, however it didn’t power off or on for that matter with the key. When the car is off after 2 minutes the Sport Chrono does shut off, but does not come back on with the key. I confirmed the wiring is correct. I’m thinking that because the car is a base, Sport Chrono (clock) portion needs to be activated by PIWIS. When I checked the date & time settings menu, Chrono was not an option in the menu. I will have to continue troubleshooting to see if I can get this issue corrected.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:17 AM
Viper pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Great posts and pics of your project and the Pikes Peak event. I drove out there last Summer and had a blast charging up the hill. Sure gets cold fast going up that pile of rocks. LOL

Have fun with the mods to your Cayman. Doing a great job!
Old 04-18-2022, 11:12 AM
cfarm3r
Instructor

Originally Posted by Viper pilot
Great posts and pics of your project and the Pikes Peak event. I drove out there last Summer and had a blast charging up the hill. Sure gets cold fast going up that pile of rocks. LOL

Have fun with the mods to your Cayman. Doing a great job!
Thanks for the kind words,

Imagine getting up at 3 AM to climb to devils playground, cold and have to fight tire warmers on the car. All while my fat a** is out of breath with the thin air. I would do it all over again!

Old 04-18-2022, 11:30 AM
Viper pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

I can understand exactly what your referring to. But the experience is worth the pain!

Thanks for the wonderful pics and documenting your experience. Hope all the teams return again and Donahue gets to finish and Jeff Z comes back for one more run up the mountain!
The following users liked this post:
cfarm3r (04-18-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 01:24 AM
steffenwilhelm
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who is please this guy ? about this helmet was my inspiration for my new helmet lol what a find thank you

Last edited by steffenwilhelm; 05-17-2022 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:34 AM
cfarm3r
Instructor

Originally Posted by steffenwilhelm
who is please this guy ? about this helmet was my inspiration for my new helmet lol what a find thank you

The drivers name is Romain Dumas, he holds the record for Pikes Peak as well when he drove the VW IDR, he also drove the insanely fast Peugeot years ago as well. He’s a well known driver in Europe.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:08 AM
steffenwilhelm
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dint now this and I saw his run
Old 05-17-2022, 03:03 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Your car looks fantastic as are all the pictures you posted. You have an eye for a good shot. But I'm puzzled by your decision to start with the 2.7l. It doesn't appear to be a financial choice. Is it a class thing?
Old 05-17-2022, 04:57 PM
cfarm3r
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nip are
Your car looks fantastic as are all the pictures you posted. You have an eye for a good shot. But I'm puzzled by your decision to start with the 2.7l. It doesn't appear to be a financial choice. Is it a class thing?
Looking back on it now it probably was a poor decision not to get an S. But at the time, this checked many of the box's and was prior to the used cars skyrocketing so the deal was great. I was in the mindset that I still wanted "something" in the garage but knew I wouldn't turn it into a track car, so it was never a class issue. It was really just to get into another platform to tinker with, but like anything you go down that rabbit hole of modifications and making it yours. I also wanted to start concentrating on other hobbies that would cost as well. I have been down the lane of race car with all the best goods like Motec, PPG, Cosworth etc. I wanted something the wife and I could take out, looks good and didn't break the bank and I guess I really didn't care that it was on the lower end of performance.

Like I said in a previous post, maybe ill swap it one day!
Old 05-20-2022, 01:53 PM
atterbud
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your car looks fantastic and I will definitely be looking at some of your bodywork mods for my own car, especially the splitter. I came from a 2016 Corvette Z06 and decided to try a Boxster as something I could mod and play with, but that was smaller and more nimble than the Z06. I moved to the US in 2001 from the UK and have several years of Caterham ownership (and a little racing) in my dim and distant past, as well as a couple of WRX's imported from Japan.

I took a different route to you, but also one that many will think unnecessary or pointless. I found a 2016 Boxster GTS with 7,500 miles for what now looks like a screaming deal last winter. Since then I have installed Dundon intake runners, IDP plenum and 82mm throttle body, Cargraphic race headers, and an FVD Brombacher tune. On the suspension side, I have also installed GT3 lower control arms (Porsche motorsport with rubber inner mounts), Tarrett front and rear adjustable sway bars with monoball drop links, Tarret adjustable Compression links, Bilstein B16 Damptronic dampers with Tarret Swift spring conversion and monoball top mounts, and a DSC controller. Finally, I swapped out the brakes for a Brembo front and rear big brake kit. The only cosmetic changes were Apex wheels and I changed the steering wheel to the 718 alcantara multifunction wheel.

Many of the parts I bought used from this excellent forum and I did most of the installation myself. I used a local shop (SST in Danbury, CT) to do the intake stuff as I had no desire to fight with getting the engine cover off on a Boxster! I use the car all summer for my 50 minute backroads commute to work and plan to do a few HDPE's each year as time and finances permit. I love working on my cars and had in mind to create the best handling car I could for my budget. I have really enjoyed the journey to date and car is an absolute blast to drive, but still perfect for weekend rides with my very understanding wife.

My future planned mods are moving to catted headers (the race headers fantastic but are just too loud for a convertible), rear duck tail, GT4 side intake cowls and a front splitter. The last is a tough one as there is pretty much nothing available for the GTS nose. Finally, when I am feeling considerably richer, I would like to swap out the Bilsteins for DSC Tractive dampers.

Good luck with your continuing mods and I look forward to reading about your continued progress, and looking at your excellent photography!

Quick Reply: Cayman “Street Cup” Journey