Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Sport Chrono Retrofit part 2: software side

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 10:57 PM
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Probably not all that helpful other than perhaps feeling a little better that it's not just you, but I didn't have success with a code from codefastbuy either. For me, it worked in the PCM unit, but not the A/C one. There's speculation in this other thread that perhaps Porsche got smart to people trying to do this and hard-coded it out with a firmware update at some point.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:23 AM
rennforum
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Could be. tks for "sharing" the pain. Which information were you able to get on PCM?
this is what I got but not sure how to start recording. Were not able to get g-force .... only on dashboard.

Old 07-20-2022, 10:27 PM
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rennforum
Could be. tks for "sharing" the pain. Which information were you able to get on PCM?
this is what I got but not sure how to start recording. Were not able to get g-force .... only on dashboard.
Looks the same as what I see on the PCM. Appears to be pretty useless without the actual stopwatch, which I believe is used to actually stop and start recordings (well, not the clock itself, but the option that you get in the instrument cluster once you install the clock). I'm not interested in cutting up my dash nor recordings, I just was hoping for Sport+, which appears to be a bigger hurdle looking through the new conversation on the other thread.
Old 09-06-2022, 12:27 PM
Marcello Tr
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default retrofit sport chrono

helloI managed to program the radio but nothing in the dashboard ...

Old 09-06-2022, 12:58 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcello Tr
helloI managed to program the radio but nothing in the dashboard ...
Your car looks like a 718 if I'm not mistaken. You're more likely to find useful information/help on this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...r-718-a-4.html
Old 09-06-2022, 01:01 PM
Marcello Tr
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nhnguy12
Your car looks like a 718 if I'm not mistaken. You're more likely to find useful information/help on this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...r-718-a-4.html
ok thanks you Marcello
Old 09-23-2022, 10:02 AM
GermanCarLover
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Yes we followed the steps posted earlier. The activation codes were accepted by the PCM 3.1 and AC units. We were able to program the buttons appropriately. Just for the final step Option 640 doesn't appear in the menus as shown above.

Perhaps its the version of PIWIS being used or something else. Will explore using the engineering mode next week.
Maybe you can tell if the feature enabling codes you used were DIFFERENT for the A/C unit and the PCM 3.1?

If so, where did you get them?

Thanks for your reply.

Best regards
Old 09-23-2022, 03:06 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GermanCarLover
Maybe you can tell if the feature enabling codes you used were DIFFERENT for the A/C unit and the PCM 3.1?

If so, where did you get them?

Thanks for your reply.

Best regards
The codes were the same for both units. I have a PIWIS 2 set-up en route. I'll give it another try in a couple weeks and post an update.

codefastbuy.com
Old 10-04-2022, 02:18 AM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Just to add another layer of mystery. I was finally able to unlock Sports Plus using PIWIS 2 (NOT PIWIS 3) exactly as described by OP. No idea why PIWIS 2 worked but PIWIS 3 didn't. My car is a 2014 Cayman S w/ the infotainment package.

On a slight tangent, Sports Plus is a hoot haha. Gear shifts punch you in the back of the head at full tilt and launch control is a hilarious (albeit largely useless) feature. I can also feel the rear of the car move around more with aggressive inputs so it definitely does loosen the PSM/TC leash as well. Very happy with the changes and excited to test it out on my local twisties.
The following users liked this post:
Jim981CS (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 08:14 AM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 282 Likes on 181 Posts

Just to add another layer of mystery. I was finally able to unlock Sports Plus using PIWIS 2 (NOT PIWIS 3) exactly as described by OP. No idea why PIWIS 2 worked but PIWIS 3 didn't. My car is a 2014 Cayman S w/ the infotainment package.

On a slight tangent, Sports Plus is a hoot haha. Gear shifts punch you in the back of the head at full tilt and launch control is a hilarious (albeit largely useless) feature. I can also feel the rear of the car move around more with aggressive inputs so it definitely does loosen the PSM/TC leash as well. Very happy with the changes and excited to test it out on my local twisties.
Congratulations! I have been following your journey and was hoping you would find a solution before I made the jump and purchased a PIWIS to activate Sports Chrono on my 981CS that I already installed the SC clock and sports plus button. What software version did you use on your PIWIS3. I understand that V38.200 has the best engineering mode for the 981’s. What PIWIS2 system and software version did you go with and where did you purchase it from? I don’t have your persistence and only want to do this once.🤔. My computer skills are lacking and will probably go with a system installed on their laptop. TIA
Jim
Old 10-04-2022, 08:51 AM
rennforum
Rennlist Member

Good to know. So to clarify nhnguy12 you were able to activate the sport plus function on 981CS using the same code provided by codefastbuy using PIWIS 2? Did you try to use PIWIS 3? as we learnt this is related to the HVAC control unit which "host" the control.
would be very interested to get your feedback as I am looking to activate sport+ for a while but so far have been hopeless .... I use PIWIS 3. When coding the HVAC unit it doesnt activate the function.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:18 AM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim981CS
Congratulations! I have been following your journey and was hoping you would find a solution before I made the jump and purchased a PIWIS to activate Sports Chrono on my 981CS that I already installed the SC clock and sports plus button. What software version did you use on your PIWIS3. I understand that V38.200 has the best engineering mode for the 981’s. What PIWIS2 system and software version did you go with and where did you purchase it from? I don’t have your persistence and only want to do this once.🤔. My computer skills are lacking and will probably go with a system installed on their laptop. TIA
Jim
So I don't have too many specifics about PIWIS 3 because it was my Indy's system and had him take a crack at it. I trust his ability so I don't think it was an error on his part. Our working theory is that PIWIS 3 is "smart" enough to recognize the car never came with the Sport Chrono option. We didn't dive into trying to use the development mode though.

I'm also technologically challenged but setting up a Virtual Machine on a decent laptop didn't take too long at all. You can actually install the PIWIS 2 software for free and make sure you can get it to work before you buy the hardware. The easiest way would still be to purchase a laptop preinstalled. I went with VXDAS and it seems to be working well. Honestly a PIWIS 2 system seems pretty useful for other things as well and it seems to have decent resale value if you decide to recoup some money after trying to activate Sports Chrono.

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2022, 09:24 AM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Good to know. So to clarify nhnguy12 you were able to activate the sport plus function on 981CS using the same code provided by codefastbuy using PIWIS 2? Did you try to use PIWIS 3? as we learnt this is related to the HVAC control unit which "host" the control.
would be very interested to get your feedback as I am looking to activate sport+ for a while but so far have been hopeless .... I use PIWIS 3. When coding the HVAC unit it doesnt activate the function.
I used the same code from codefastbuy for both the AC and PCM control units. PIWIS 3 got stuck at the coding adaption step for the rest of the units but actually accepted the code in both the AC/PCM units. So if that's where you're getting stuck I'm not sure PIWIS 2 would be any better.

My car also came from factory with the exact same options as OP had. It seems like it adds an extra layer of complexity if you don't have the upgraded infotainment system installed from factory.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:30 AM
rennforum
Rennlist Member

I have the upgraded infotainment. is that what you have?
I actually didnt get stuck on AC .... just that it didnt show active.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:52 AM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

I have the upgraded infotainment. is that what you have?
I actually didnt get stuck on AC .... just that it didnt show active.
Yes I have the upgraded infotainment. Perhaps provide a screenshot? Does your code get accepted at all?

Quick Reply: 981 Sport Chrono Retrofit part 2: software side