Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Sport Chrono Retrofit part 2: software side

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 05:30 PM
Marcello Tr
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes but the logic is the same
Old 04-22-2022, 06:11 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 282 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcello Tr
Yes but the logic is the same
If I’m not mistaken the Macan with the PCM4 was available to be upgraded as well as the 987/997 models with PIWIS but the 981/991 never had “Porsches blessing “ for a Sport Chrono upgrade. I assume that the SC upgrade was not available on the 981/991 due to the dynamic engine mounts which are part of the SC option. The G-force and timing functions on a 981 can be activated with PIWIS with out a code but the full function Sport Plus, except without dynamic engine mounts, can only be activated with a hacked code using PIWIS.
Jim
The following users liked this post:
nhnguy12 (04-22-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 07:04 AM
Marcello Tr
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

hi Jim,

the Macan with PCM4 is a newer 2017 model than yours.
The sport chrono can be activated even without dynamic engine mounts,
I have no confirmation of what you wrote.
I am trying to do the activation We can keep in touch for NEWS
Old 04-29-2022, 06:00 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 224 Posts

Was able to obtain a code and activate both the PCM and AC units successfully. However, option 640 isn't appearing still.

Any ideas?
Old 04-29-2022, 09:27 PM
plantman77
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know how to activate sport mode on a 987?
My car came with it from the factory but somehow lost functionality. I've been trying to enable it. I have a PIWIS 3 in engineering mode.

The only place to activate it is under the electrical system. I need the 16 digit activation code to activate. Does anyone else have any other ideas on how to get this working again.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2022, 09:52 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plantman77
Does anyone know how to activate sport mode on a 987?
My car came with it from the factory but somehow lost functionality. I've been trying to enable it. I have a PIWIS 3 in engineering mode.

The only place to activate it is under the electrical system. I need the 16 digit activation code to activate. Does anyone else have any other ideas on how to get this working again.

Thanks
Unlike with the 981, dealerships should be able to "officially" reprogram sports chrono into a 987.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:08 PM
plantman77
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nhnguy12
Unlike with the 981, dealerships should be able to "officially" reprogram sports chrono into a 987.
I've had the car at my Indy and a dealership. Neither seem to be able to solve it. That's why I'm trying myself.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:31 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 282 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by nhnguy12
Was able to obtain a code and activate both the PCM and AC units successfully. However, option 640 isn't appearing still.

Any ideas?
At the beginning of this thread especially post #5 @Visual goes in detail on the coding procedure on the 981. I do recall that there is sport chrono option 639 for cars with the CDR radio and sport chrono plus option 640 for cars with the PCM3.1which has additional performance display. Were you able to assign and code the sport plus button on the second position (under the sport button) on the left side of the console buttons and move down the existing PASM or traction button down to the next spot? Did you find the place to enter the 16 digit code you purchased? I am not an expert on this and can only share what I have read.
Jim

Last edited by Jim981CS; 04-29-2022 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-30-2022, 02:09 AM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim981CS
At the beginning of this thread especially post #5 @Visual goes in detail on the coding procedure on the 981. I do recall that there is sport chrono option 639 for cars with the CDR radio and sport chrono plus option 640 for cars with the PCM3.1which has additional performance display. Were you able to assign and code the sport plus button on the second position (under the sport button) on the left side of the console buttons and move down the existing PASM or traction button down to the next spot? Did you find the place to enter the 16 digit code you purchased? I am not an expert on this and can only share what I have read.
Jim
Yes we followed the steps posted earlier. The activation codes were accepted by the PCM 3.1 and AC units. We were able to program the buttons appropriately. Just for the final step Option 640 doesn't appear in the menus as shown above.

Perhaps its the version of PIWIS being used or something else. Will explore using the engineering mode next week.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:10 AM
DevineConcepts
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Current Setup is 14 981
Piwis II
virtual machine

Added chrono. Trying to activate it.

Followed steps and Virtual Machine and Controller seem to function and communicate.

AirConditioning>Drivelinks>General>FunctionEnable

while attempting to pull the next screen I receive this error.

10030: Error when establishing communication with control unit.

I have also tried the same process with engineering mode. Same result. On PIWIS II have a solid green for power and USB.

I also took it a step further as it seemed that the obd plug wasn’t seating tight. So I popped the kick panel and removed the obd from the fuse box so the piwis cable can fully seat and click. Thinking a data pin maybe making a interment connection. No success.

Anyone run across this error yet?

Last edited by DevineConcepts; 05-13-2022 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:48 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcello Tr
KUL write:
In this case you would be better off with a piwis with engineering mode, this way it will no longer require activation codes. Just did this to my Macan 2018 with PCM4.0 with piwis3. I first tried with an original tool without engineering available, so when selecting QR5 sport chrono plus, it would require a code. After I tried with another piwis3 but with engineering mode available, just went and selected the option, no code required, in less that 5 min the option was activated.
Yup full PIWIS2 or 3 on engineering mode does not require a code...someone here from overseas has instructions but its in German
Old 06-05-2022, 03:50 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

For those looking for a Sport Chrono activation code, I had some luck using this site - https://codefastbuy.com/shop.php

MAJOR CAVEAT - I already had Sport Chrono installed and I used the code generated by this site to re-activate it after changing my center console switch panel in order to add a PSE button. This is part of the steps outlined in the official Porsche install instructions and service manual. I cannot guarantee that their codes will work for a Chrono retrofit, but the price was reasonable enough that I took a swing to see if it would work for my purposes. Since the dealer was going to charge me $300/hr to code my PSE button (a 10 minute job if they know what they're doing) in order to use the OFFICIAL chrono enabling code I was given (but only via the PCSS system at dealerships) when I bought the switch panel, I saved $250 doing it myself. YMMV, of course.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:23 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by noahabel
For those looking for a Sport Chrono activation code, I had some luck using this site - https://codefastbuy.com/shop.php

MAJOR CAVEAT - I already had Sport Chrono installed and I used the code generated by this site to re-activate it after changing my center console switch panel in order to add a PSE button. This is part of the steps outlined in the official Porsche install instructions and service manual. I cannot guarantee that their codes will work for a Chrono retrofit, but the price was reasonable enough that I took a swing to see if it would work for my purposes. Since the dealer was going to charge me $300/hr to code my PSE button (a 10 minute job if they know what they're doing) in order to use the OFFICIAL chrono enabling code I was given (but only via the PCSS system at dealerships) when I bought the switch panel, I saved $250 doing it myself. YMMV, of course.
Did you use PIWIS 2 or 3 to activate sport plus?
Old 07-13-2022, 12:06 AM
rennforum
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

what is your source to get activation code for chrono retrofit?
The following users liked this post:
chillee (09-23-2023)
Old 07-19-2022, 01:22 AM
rennforum
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I was able to get activation code from codefastbuy. I followed the steps by enabling function but after entering the code it shows the SC is off. I was able to confirm the package is installed using F7. The switch is updated and active.
Used the same code for PCM but get the same issue.
Any help is appreciated.

Quick Reply: 981 Sport Chrono Retrofit part 2: software side