Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Sport Chrono Retrofit part 2: software side

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 02:07 PM
use20
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any contact information for the overseas company that can get the code?
I want to PM you, but my account is too new and it does not allow me to PM anyone.
Thank you very much
The following users liked this post:
chillee (09-23-2023)
Old 09-04-2021, 11:50 PM
congdoe
4th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spintype
FYI - This process does not work on 991s. I tried it and wasted $100 for sport chrono code. It activates in the PCM, but not in the A/C unit. Mine says "off" in Sport Chrono under Driver Links in the A/C menu after plugging in the code. That means that Porsche has changed the activation code for the Sport Chrono package and PCM functionality into two separate codes. I don't know anyone who can get an activation code for the A/C unit unless the dealer can generate it.
Can someone else confirms this or knows of a way to get activation code for PCM and A/C Unit for 991s?
The following 2 users liked this post by congdoe:
chillee (09-23-2023), hyoungwookim (03-17-2022)
Old 09-07-2021, 05:26 PM
use20
2nd Gear

Default P

Originally Posted by Visual
After completing the physical clock portion of the Sport Chrono retrofit, I started looking into the software portion to see what exactly needed to be done.

Once again, there was conflicting information all over the place. I found old posts from three guys across the various Porsche related forums throughout the years claiming to have done it on their 981 or 991, but nothing in-depth about the coding process in PIWIS or whether the features worked without issue. Some said that it wasn’t possible, that even if the instrument cluster shows “Sport Plus” when you press the button, nothing actually changes physically with the software, throttle mapping, shift times, etc.

There were some that said function enable codes needed to be input into several control units in PIWIS, not just the PCM. There were some claims that when enabling codes didn’t match up between various control units, whatever you enabled would eventually be disabled after a few days. Further digging into the 981 service manual did indeed reveal one section regarding the installation of a new “Switch Console” that Sport Chrono needed to be reactivated via function enable in the Air Conditioning control unit in PIWIS.

Curiosity got the better of me and I ended up contacting one of the overseas companies that a lot of people have used to activate multi-function steering wheels which also require codes generated to specific VINs. The guy wanted me to confirm that I had a PCM unit and not the base radio. So this is where it gets even more unclear.

He wanted me to know that “code activates sportchrono only on PCM”. I wasn't sure if he meant that this only works on cars with PCM units. I guess it has something to do with how they hacked the system to be able to generate activation codes that are specific to PCM features like navigation, Bluetooth, etc. I confirmed that I have a PCM 3.1 system in my Cayman and wanted to know if the code would enable Sport Plus with Launch Control.

His reply, “this code (16 characters) opens the pcm menu for sportchrono. To activate sportchrono on a car, you need a different code 32 characters”. I asked if he also sold the 32 character code that would enable the features.

His response to that was, “I can't do it. And I don’t know who can, except an official dealer”.

So now it looks like what this PCM activation code does is activate whatever the Sport Chrono package does in the PCM, which I’m guessing is the Sport Display that works in conjunction with the dash clock’s lap recording, and not the full set of features including Sport Plus mode.

Regardless, I wanted to see what this code would actually do on my car, so I told him I’d purchase it. I am now waiting for the code to be generated and will test it out. I'll update everyone when I have results.
hi,
Can you pm me?
I try to pm you, but I can’t
Old 11-04-2021, 05:42 AM
K U L
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After completing the physical clock portion of the Sport Chrono retrofit, I started looking into the software portion to see what exactly needed to be done.

Once again, there was conflicting information all over the place. I found old posts from three guys across the various Porsche related forums throughout the years claiming to have done it on their 981 or 991, but nothing in-depth about the coding process in PIWIS or whether the features worked without issue. Some said that it wasn’t possible, that even if the instrument cluster shows “Sport Plus” when you press the button, nothing actually changes physically with the software, throttle mapping, shift times, etc.

There were some that said function enable codes needed to be input into several control units in PIWIS, not just the PCM. There were some claims that when enabling codes didn’t match up between various control units, whatever you enabled would eventually be disabled after a few days. Further digging into the 981 service manual did indeed reveal one section regarding the installation of a new “Switch Console” that Sport Chrono needed to be reactivated via function enable in the Air Conditioning control unit in PIWIS.

Curiosity got the better of me and I ended up contacting one of the overseas companies that a lot of people have used to activate multi-function steering wheels which also require codes generated to specific VINs. The guy wanted me to confirm that I had a PCM unit and not the base radio. So this is where it gets even more unclear.

He wanted me to know that “code activates sportchrono only on PCM”. I wasn't sure if he meant that this only works on cars with PCM units. I guess it has something to do with how they hacked the system to be able to generate activation codes that are specific to PCM features like navigation, Bluetooth, etc. I confirmed that I have a PCM 3.1 system in my Cayman and wanted to know if the code would enable Sport Plus with Launch Control.

His reply, “this code (16 characters) opens the pcm menu for sportchrono. To activate sportchrono on a car, you need a different code 32 characters”. I asked if he also sold the 32 character code that would enable the features.

His response to that was, “I can't do it. And I don’t know who can, except an official dealer”.

So now it looks like what this PCM activation code does is activate whatever the Sport Chrono package does in the PCM, which I’m guessing is the Sport Display that works in conjunction with the dash clock’s lap recording, and not the full set of features including Sport Plus mode.

Regardless, I wanted to see what this code would actually do on my car, so I told him I’d purchase it. I am now waiting for the code to be generated and will test it out. I'll update everyone when I have results.
Hello,
Do you know if this procedure from post #5 will work for PCM4.0 ?
Thanks
chillee (09-23-2023)
Old 11-04-2021, 06:31 AM
K U L
8th Gear

Hello, I am trying to do the same thing on a Macan 2018 with PCM4.0, can you please help me? Your instructions from post #5 will work for me with Piwis3? Or these are only for PCM3.1?
Thanks
chillee (09-23-2023)
Old 11-22-2021, 06:55 PM
italianBladee
3rd Gear

I probably sound dumb here but I just joined the forum to discuss this install and I can't find anyone selling grey market codes for the Sport Chrono option on line @Visual I'm new to forums (a bit too young to have been actively using them growing up, more accustomed to facebook groups), but if anyone knows someone selling access to the PIWIS codes, please please DM! I tried reaching out to the top google result for porsche activation codes as well as a few others and have yet to hear back.
chillee (09-23-2023)
Old 11-23-2021, 04:06 AM
K U L
8th Gear

Where are you from? What car do you have and what PCM version? I can not PM you because you have only 1 post. After 4-5 posts I think, you can send and receive PM's. Anyways, you would need to get your hands on a Piwis tool near you installed on a computer with internet, after I know some guys that do remote coding and I can give you their contacts. After you will have more posts, we will speak on PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:52 PM
italianBladee
3rd Gear

Based in Los Angeles area, I already have a PIWIS tool and the software running properly, that was the easy part for me. I'm a programmer by trade, and stuff like this comes relatively easy to me. Just need the activation code to enter
chillee (09-23-2023)
Old 11-26-2021, 02:48 AM
K U L
8th Gear

In this case you would be better off with a piwis with engineering mode, this way it will no longer require activation codes. Just did this to my Macan 2018 with PCM4.0 with piwis3. I first tried with an original tool without engineering available, so when selecting QR5 sport chrono plus, it would require a code. After I tried with another piwis3 but with engineering mode available, just went and selected the option, no code required, in less that 5 min the option was activated.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:01 PM
cjrhoades
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

So, if I wanted to add automatic rev matching on my 2014 base manual Cayman, I'd just need a PIWIS and the sport chrono activation code? I don't need the clock, sport plus, etc and would like to avoid retrofitting any hardware. I'd just like to have the auto blip in sport mode.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:30 PM
981BS
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by cjrhoades
So, if I wanted to add automatic rev matching on my 2014 base manual Cayman, I'd just need a PIWIS and the sport chrono activation code? I don't need the clock, sport plus, etc and would like to avoid retrofitting any hardware. I'd just like to have the auto blip in sport mode.
AFAIK, rev matching works only in sport+ mode. But you could use some other button on left side to acvate s+ (e. g TC off could be useful for that, also programable with PIWIS). Another thing, I am not sure if autoblip would work on 2014 model, it didm't exist on early 981.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:40 AM
PCMGEEKS
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by use20
Is there any contact information for the overseas company that can get the code?
I want to PM you, but my account is too new and it does not allow me to PM anyone.
Thank you very much
the code only works with specific sport Chrono modules.
Name:  zljh6sn.jpg
Views: 2678
Size:  24.6 KB
Old 12-31-2021, 06:58 PM
Dmitry D
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSE Retrofit

Hi, I'm currently trying to install and code the PSE button on my 991.1 C2S (not PSE) as an addition to Soul Sport Exhaust. I have two issues:
1) I'm keeping CTEK MXS 5.0 plugged into the car during working with the PIWIS program, but if the battery is less than 90%, the indicator of the battery on top of the application's window (close to the language dropdown) start showing warning and accordingly documentation I have to "Connect a battery charger with a current rating of at least → Nominal value: 40 A to the vehicle battery."
- How do you deal with that?

2) I followed the "Installation and Conversion Instructions for PSE Retrofit Sport Exhaust System, 3.8 l (I-no. 176) " document, and after step "5 Code the sports exhaust system" everything worked fine with only one small issue: when I press SPORT button -> AUTO START/STOP button's indicator doesn't light up... but the function works as expected (PSE button light up correctly). I tried to reverse back changes but still can not make that sequence work.
- Any help here?
Old 12-31-2021, 07:03 PM
Dmitry D
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm currently trying to install and code the PSE button on my 991.1 C2S (not PSE) as an addition to Soul Sport Exhaust. I have two issues:
1) I'm keeping CTEK MXS 5.0 plugged into the car during working with the PIWIS program, but if the battery is less than 90%, the indicator of the battery on top of the application's window (close to the language dropdown) start showing warning and accordingly documentation I have to "Connect a battery charger with a current rating of at least → Nominal value: 40 A to the vehicle battery."
- How do you deal with that?
2) I followed the "Installation and Conversion Instructions for PSE Retrofit Sport Exhaust System, 3.8 l (I-no. 176) " document, and after step "5 Code the sports exhaust system" everything worked fine with only one small issue: when I press SPORT button -> AUTO START/STOP button's indicator doesn't light up... but the function works as expected (PSE button light up correctly). I tried to reverse back changes but still can not make that sequence work.
- Any help here?
@Visual
Old 01-01-2022, 05:02 PM
Snip's
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

According to CTEK MXS 5.0 the maximum charging output is 4.3 amps.

If the PIWIS program is calling for a 40 amps, then your CTEK MXS 5.0 can't keep up, use a 40 amp charger while using the PIWIS..

The CTEK is a low amp battery maintainer used to just keep the battery healthy primarily during storage...

Dmitry D (01-01-2022)

Quick Reply: 981 Sport Chrono Retrofit part 2: software side