Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Sport Chrono Retrofit part 2: software side

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2024, 11:11 AM
dkfx
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by joserpaq
Very strange thing happened this morning. I've been all over the car looking for sports plus activation using think diag for a while and it started working with morning with no code. I'm still using stock switch console so I've had to replace switch button functions for testing. 2012 991.1S

1. I coded the PSE valves to button #2 on the right (previously coded to auto start/stop) and this is working as expected. Opens valves when button is pushed and turn on whenevery Sport or sports plus is turned on.
2. Coded sports plus to the 2nd botton on the left (previously coded to PASM) and this turns on sports plus on cluster as well as changing engine/PDK settings. Shifting happens at redline.

When I turn on the Sports Plus button the "sports Plus" display comes up on the cluster, the car ECU/TCU change to sports plus mode but I'm not seeing any changes on the PCM or SC clock so I'm assuming the change has not been applied to the PCM. Any ideas?
I don't have the PSE, but this is how mine behaves : sports plus shows up in the cluster, car reacts like it's engaged (shift points, etc.), though I don't have the SC clock pop up or anything different on my PCM. I believe this is working correctly, as my 991.1 turbo behaves the same exact way.
Old 05-28-2024, 11:19 AM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dkfx
I don't have the PSE, but this is how mine behaves : sports plus shows up in the cluster, car reacts like it's engaged (shift points, etc.), though I don't have the SC clock pop up or anything different on my PCM. I believe this is working correctly, as my 991.1 turbo behaves the same exact way.
I thought the PCM display would change to stop watch with Sports plus is activated. I see that I can activate sport chrono on PCM module but I need a code so I'm assuming I need to enter the code tied to my VIN to activate SC in PCM to have that feature work.
Old 05-29-2024, 02:05 AM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

I've been trying to purchase a Sport chrono activation code online but haven't had any luck getting a response. Can anyone recommend a service they've used recently that worked?

Old 06-09-2024, 01:22 PM
klaasvs31
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by any
Hi all,

tried to activate Sport Plus today using a Piwis 3 on my 2014 981 Boxster S but it failed at this point. The BKE won't accept the code...

Can someone assist please? Is it because this needs a Piwis II?
It doesn't say that it didn't work. It states "Function wurde ausgeführt", which means that the function is processed.

I had the same thing. After entering the code in both the BKE and the PCM, Sport Plus wasn't functioning yet. I then added the function 640 - Sport Chrono Plus in "Maintain vehicle data" (which is under the additional menu). I then selected all modules and did an automatic coding of all modules and Sport Plus was available and working! I did use Piwis III without problems. However, my 981 has a build date of 05/2012, so that could have something to do with it..
Old 06-09-2024, 01:45 PM
ramiy
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

2014 forward you can completely forget about it, I’ve literally tried every trick out there, even had an ex Porsche employee work on the car, I’ve also purchased a new central console and no luck.

the only explanation is 2014 forward is damned by someone who maybe has written the actual code 😂
Old 06-12-2024, 12:29 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Very strange thing happened this morning. I've been all over the car looking for sports plus activation using think diag for a while and it started working with morning with no code. I'm still using stock switch console so I've had to replace switch button functions for testing. 2012 991.1S

1. I coded the PSE valves to button #2 on the right (previously coded to auto start/stop) and this is working as expected. Opens valves when button is pushed and turn on when ever Sport or sports plus is turned on.
2. Coded sports plus to the 2nd botton on the left (previously coded to PASM) and this turns on sports plus on cluster as well as changing engine/PDK settings. Shifting happens at redline.

When I turn on the Sports Plus button the "sports Plus" display comes up on the cluster, the car ECU/TCU change to sports plus mode but I'm not seeing any changes on the PCM or SC clock so I'm assuming the change has not been applied to the PCM. Any ideas?
Would you mind sharing the steps on how you activated Sport Plus in Thinkdiag? You definitely piqued my curiosity since my friend has been trying in PIWIS 3 with engineering mode and no luck so far. I also have a 2012.5 991.1, I have PSE already.
Old 06-12-2024, 12:41 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mwjackson92
Would you mind sharing the steps on how you activated Sport Plus in Thinkdiag? You definitely piqued my curiosity since my friend has been trying in PIWIS 3 with engineering mode and no luck so far. I also have a 2012.5 991.1, I have PSE already.
The steps are outlined on the the thread below but bascially I searched for sports+ in DME, Instrument cluster and PSM enabling everytime it came up. I then coded sports+ to the 2nd button on the left under "air conditioning" section under "BKE". I then purchased on online code for SC activation based on my VIN and entered that in both "air conditioning" and "psm" using thinkdiag to activate that.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1413...inkdiag-2.html

Last edited by joserpaq; 06-12-2024 at 12:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mwjackson92 (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 01:12 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The steps are outlined on the the thread below but bascially I searched for sports+ in DME, Instrument cluster and PSM enabling everytime it came up. I then coded sports+ to the 2nd button on the left under "air conditioning" section under "BKE". I then purchased on online code for SC activation based on my VIN and entered that in both "air conditioning" and "psm" using thinkdiag to activate that.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1413...inkdiag-2.html
Excellent, thank you for both of these. I will get a code and go from there, the fact you have a 991 gives me a LOT of hope for this! Rennlist is such a helpful community.

Where did you buy your Sport Plus activation code?
Old 06-12-2024, 01:20 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mwjackson92
Excellent, thank you for both of these. I will get a code and go from there, the fact you have a 991 gives me a LOT of hope for this! Rennlist is such a helpful community.

Where did you buy your Sport Plus activation code?
I’ve been told that sharing info about the code violates TOS for the forum and I’m reluctant to post but I’ll DM you some info.
Old 06-30-2024, 12:40 AM
skiddmcmarx
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve been told that sharing info about the code violates TOS for the forum and I’m reluctant to post but I’ll DM you some info.
I too would like to know where you got the code, that's the list thing I need.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2024, 12:30 PM
boxdriver
Racer

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

Do you need a code to activate Sport Plus if you aren't adding Sport Chrono? I just got a Thinkdiag so I can add PSE to my car and am wondering if I can also add Sport Plus since I have the center console button that I can add with the PSE kit I got. If so, does anyone know the steps to take in the Thinkdiag to add it?
Old 07-09-2024, 12:50 PM
skiddmcmarx
AutoX

Originally Posted by boxdriver
Do you need a code to activate Sport Plus if you aren't adding Sport Chrono? I just got a Thinkdiag so I can add PSE to my car and am wondering if I can also add Sport Plus since I have the center console button that I can add with the PSE kit I got. If so, does anyone know the steps to take in the Thinkdiag to add it?
I haven't had any success enabling it, but if you do, let me know how you do it. I've been trying to buy an activation code to activate the Sport Chrono package.
Old 07-09-2024, 07:56 PM
skiddmcmarx
AutoX

Originally Posted by skiddmcmarx
I haven't had any success enabling it, but if you do, let me know how you do it. I've been trying to buy an activation code to activate the Sport Chrono package.
Update; got a code and it was accepted in the PCM and accepted in the BKE but will not let me enable it.

So, not really sure where to go from here, just like most everyone else.
Old 07-10-2024, 02:29 AM
klaasvs31
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skiddmcmarx
Update; got a code and it was accepted in the PCM and accepted in the BKE but will not let me enable it.

So, not really sure where to go from here, just like most everyone else.
I added option 640 (Sport Chrono Plus) in maintain vehicle data (via Piwis) and did an automatic coding of all the modules in the car (also via Piwis) before I was able to use it.
Old 07-11-2024, 08:18 AM
Ciruela
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem,
Add in Air-Conbut can't change the value.

I also added "QR5" in maintain vehicle data and coded all units.
Car: 718 Cayman 2018

Any other ideas ?

Quick Reply: 981 Sport Chrono Retrofit part 2: software side