Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Coding options and features for 718

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 03:31 PM
Z06jerry
Pro

Received 354 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
Same question to you:
Have you checked to see if the dumbed down U.S. legal adaptive headlights can be enabled to European spec fully-adaptive LEDs. Had in done on my F80 M3 and it was the best thing ever. Quite the light show!!
What exactly is it about the Eurospec LED's that make them superior?
Old 09-03-2022, 08:48 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by arne
@RoadrunnerGTS About the instrument lighting:

I first did the normal "white gauge face hack" to turn on the gauge backlighting. But I found a different way, too. There is a setting to add the tail lights to the DRLs. This is sometimes known as "Scandinavian DRLs" as those countries require the tail lights to be on all the time as well as the DRLs. I did this DRL change to my Audi, as it can be gray and foggy around here in winter and having the tail lights on then is desirable. So I found and tried it on the 718 this afternoon. Works fine, adds the tail lights, front side markers, parking lights, and the gauges w/needles!

This may not be for everyone, but if you don't mind having the tail lights on in the daytime, it totally takes care of the gauge illumination issue.

Front-End Electronics > Exterior lighting > DRL with marker light = Yes
Perfect. Works for me as my car is EU spec, so side markers are not present, they only function as turn signals. Cluster and needles and DDL always on now even if lights switched to off.
I kept the white dial and rear DDL settings, but probably nt required.
Old 09-03-2022, 09:44 PM
arne
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

@Z06jerry
Originally Posted by Z06jerry
Arne, are you using PIWIS or x431?
X431.

Is this the same setting as @RoadrunnerGTS posted iat the beginning of this thread?? ....

"1. Rear LED running lights:
FRONT END ELECTRONICS > Coding Value - Exterior Lighting - DDL with Position and Tail Light = YES"
Possibly. There seems to be some inconsistency in wording, possibly due to new German->English translations for each new X431 version.

Good to know the needles light up with your setting. I've also enabled "Scandinavian lights" on my '22 Audi as well as my '18 Golf. On those vehicles the side markers also illuminate with the rear taillights however since the side markers are integrated with the headlights it's less noticeable than the 718's separated side markers..
Some people don't like Scandi DRLs because of the side markers, especially on things like a Macan which has separate side markers for both front and rear. Our 718s in the US only have separate markers up front. (And I somehow got mine turned off. More on that once I review my settings.)

One difference is their DRL's only illuminate when the parking brake is released (with key on) vs my GTS' DRL's illuminate regardless of parking brake (when key is on).
I know that the DRLs in the 718 can be set to the parking brake as well. I've seen references to that on other forums, and I think I saw it in the X431 readout. I'll take a look at that tomorrow as well.

Did you disable "white dials" after coding DRL with marker light = Yes?
Yes, I did. I don't think it matters either way once the Scandi DRLs are turned on, but why do both?
The following users liked this post:
Z06jerry (09-04-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 02:21 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Arne, are you using PIWIS or x431? Is this the same setting as @RoadrunnerGTS posted iat the beginning of this thread?? ....

"1. Rear LED running lights:
FRONT END ELECTRONICS > Coding Value - Exterior Lighting - DDL with Position and Tail Light = YES"

Good to know the needles light up with your setting. I've also enabled "Scandinavian lights" on my '22 Audi as well as my '18 Golf. On those vehicles the side markers also illuminate with the rear taillights however since the side markers are integrated with the headlights it's less noticeable than the 718's separated side markers. One difference is their DRL's only illuminate when the parking brake is released (with key on) vs my GTS' DRL's illuminate regardless of parking brake (when key is on).

Did you disable "white dials" after coding DRL with marker light = Yes?
So my Rear DDL setting is only for rear DDL to activate when front DDL are on (fronts always on though)
FRONT END ELECTRONICS > Coding Value - Exterior Lighting - DDL with Position and Tail Light = YES

@arne
coding of FRONT END ELECTRONICS > Coding Value - Exterior Lights, DDL with marker light = Yes, basically forces DDL on with marker lights, which will force minimum of DDL lights + full cluster (incl needles) when ever the ignition is on, regardless of lighting sensor (Auto) or light switch position. This setting could be used instead of 1 & 2 in OP. Thanks @arne

Last edited by RoadrunnerGTS; 09-04-2022 at 02:23 AM.
Z06jerry (09-04-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 07:32 PM
arne
Instructor

Originally Posted by LuNguyen
Just checking again if the x431 brings up the menu for mirror dip on reverse for those with just the 2 way seats? Hoping it does ... It's the only thing in my car I miss
It might, as I was able to enable mirror dipping on my Audi that does not have seat memory. But I'd need to plug into a 718 that only has 2-way seats to check. I don't have one handy right now...

Last edited by arne; 09-04-2022 at 07:34 PM.
LuNguyen (09-04-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 10:40 PM
LuNguyen
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It might, as I was able to enable mirror dipping on my Audi that does not have seat memory. But I'd need to plug into a 718 that only has 2-way seats to check. I don't have one handy right now...
Thanks Arne... I'm tempted to purchase one from Amazon and try it!
Old 09-05-2022, 08:17 AM
Z06jerry
Pro

Received 354 Likes on 196 Posts

Just checking again if the x431 brings up the menu for mirror dip on reverse for those with just the 2 way seats? Hoping it does ... It's the only thing in my car I miss
Thanks Arne... I'm tempted to purchase one from Amazon and try it!
@LuNguyen don't know about x431 but PIWIS can do it. I have 2-way seats with mirror dip enabled, however it only dips a small amount so not very useful.

Last edited by Z06jerry; 09-05-2022 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-05-2022, 09:27 AM
LuNguyen
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@LuNguyen don't know about x431 but PIWIS can do it. I have 2-way seats with mirror dip enabled, however it only dips a small amount so not very useful.
Thanks mate! I might see if I can find someone or a workshop with PIWIS or roll the dice on the x431... even if it's a small amount it might be enough for me! I wish it wasn't a feature they left out on the 2 way seats.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:30 PM
arne
Instructor

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
So my Rear DDL setting is only for rear DDL to activate when front DDL are on (fronts always on though)
FRONT END ELECTRONICS > Coding Value - Exterior Lighting - DDL with Position and Tail Light = YES

coding of FRONT END ELECTRONICS > Coding Value - Exterior Lights, DDL with marker light = Yes, basically forces DDL on with marker lights, which will force minimum of DDL lights + full cluster (incl needles) when ever the ignition is on, regardless of lighting sensor (Auto) or light switch position. This setting could be used instead of 1 & 2 in OP. Thanks
Yes, I've confirmed that behavior on my car as well. From what I'm hearing the drawback to this one (for North American owners) is that the front side markers are lit at all times as well. I've found that we can turn that off as well with this cryptically named setting:
System Selection > Front-end Electronics > Coding value--Exterior lighting--Exterior lighting: direction indicator at side direction indicator output = No
{Default for North America: Yes}
Old 09-16-2022, 09:39 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

Did anyone w/ PIWIS stumble by the line that controls the muffler valves? I imagine there's a parameter (eg rpm) that opens and closes it, and perhaps it's available for editing. My guess would be at the DME module. I would check it but my car keeps getting postponed. The way it goes I'll need winter tires to pick it up.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:21 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Is there a way to code all exterior lights off, no matter the interior light switch position?
Old 10-04-2022, 08:57 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Is there a way to code all exterior lights off, no matter the interior light switch position?
You mean running lights always off and only low/high beams available via light switch?
Old 10-04-2022, 11:25 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
You mean running lights always off and only low/high beams available via light switch?
It would be nice to have all of the lights off in one of the switch positions so I guess yes since I assume the running lights are on when the switch is in the off position. I would just like to have one position where every light is off!
Old 10-04-2022, 11:39 PM
arne
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
It would be nice to have all of the lights off in one of the switch positions so I guess yes since I assume the running lights are on when the switch is in the off position. I would just like to have one position where every light is off!
I think one could code the DRLs to be off, but IIRC it's an all or nothing change. Either you have DRLS, or you don't. I don't think you could code it to a particular switch position.
Old 10-04-2022, 11:47 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I think one could code the DRLs to be off, but IIRC it's an all or nothing change. Either you have DRLS, or you don't. I don't think you could code it to a particular switch position.
That would work for me.

Quick Reply: Coding options and features for 718