Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

what did you do with your 968 today.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 04:58 AM
ste1999
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by J1NX3D
Especially RHD ones which are 2-3 times the price of LHD ones!

It's the same cover for all late 944 so could be a good market for them
Yep, while 968 parts supply can be a challenge in any world market, RHD-specific parts supply can be a bit worrying. I’m remembering my experience the lower steering coloum here...

Steve
The following users liked this post:
J1NX3D (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 05:59 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DSMblue
If you do make a mold, let me know, it would be interesting to get a better solution. Right now, I have to solve replacing fuel return line to sender from hard line. Which means driving the car whenever I get a chance to burn gas out of the tank.
Mine has split slightly where it pushes onto the body under the rubber. Had to stretch and fix in place the top end under the screen. Might buy a sheet of HDPE and create something out of that if the split becomes worse.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:34 AM
kingroon
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 99 Posts

If you do make a mold, let me know, it would be interesting to get a better solution. Right now, I have to solve replacing fuel return line to sender from hard line. Which means driving the car whenever I get a chance to burn gas out of the tank.
+1 for RHD..
Old 05-13-2020, 08:44 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Since this has been on my punch list for a long time, finally got around to taking the fuel filler neck out and replacing today. OMG - whatever that adhesive is for the sound deadening, it is really sticky stuff. Didn't take before pictures, but pulled all the hoses off, cleaned the clamps and reinstalled everything. Anyone have any idea of what should be used to seal the metal cover back?

old filler neck, inside

old filler neck, outside view

New neck in place

Clean inside lines!
DSMblue - did you have gas smells in the passenger cabin prior to replacing the fuel filler neck? If yes, has the smell gone away after the replacement of this part?
As for the Glue - I agree it has herculean strength, so much so that I reused it upon re-installation of the cover and it's been holding up fine.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:07 PM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Also installed Window Express for both side on my Cab 2 weeks ago. I highly recommend this if you are accustomed to driving more modern cars with 1-touch up/down windows. Worth every penny!
Old 05-14-2020, 07:19 PM
oz968
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim C
Also installed Window Express for both side on my Cab 2 weeks ago. I highly recommend this if you are accustomed to driving more modern cars with 1-touch up/down windows. Worth every penny!
Jim
where did you purchase the units for the window express from
Peter
Old 05-14-2020, 11:01 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by oz968
Jim
where did you purchase the units for the window express from
Peter
https://www.paragon-products.com/Win...dowexpress.htm
Old 05-15-2020, 09:36 AM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

Yup - what Jay linked. That's where I got them. Shows out of stock. I got them over a year ago and just installed. Perhaps reach out to them to see if they can get/make more?
Old 05-16-2020, 04:27 PM
ste1999
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Fuel pressure test fail

Debated whether to bother with getting a fuel pressure gauge and adapting it to the Porsche rail. Decided that I really should do that after engine reassembly including part assembly of the new fuel lines by hand with no formal pressure test, decided I really should do a leak check and pressure test both. Glad I did that today. Pressure was rock stable at 2.6 bar which would suit many 8 valve Porches really nicely. On the upside no leaks and good leakdown test. Penny dropped. I’d been sold a 944 regulator misdescribed as a 3.8 bar 968 part. Care is needed when ordering these .

Steve

Fuel pressure testing on a Porsche 968, wrong regulator fitted

Old 05-16-2020, 08:17 PM
OakRZB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

(pls disregard, was unable to delete this - Thx!)

Last edited by OakRZB; 05-16-2020 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong place - Moderators pls delete...
Old 05-26-2020, 11:09 AM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

For my cab:

Got my AC compressor/clutch replaced as it died and also had the belts replaced as a precautionary measure - never got records from the previous owner.
Got my driver's side door panel reinstalled.
Removed the two stone guards behind the front wheels - will replace with new 3M PPF.
Had Canton oil filter installed along with EZ Drain oil valve. Oil changes will be a snap now!

Drives very nice with the new rear shocks!! All efforts now focused on finishing the interior. Will probably work on cleaning the engine bay to break up the interior time here and there. Not looking forward to carpet removal!!!
Old 05-26-2020, 11:32 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

For my cab:

Got my AC compressor/clutch replaced as it died and also had the belts replaced as a precautionary measure - never got records from the previous owner.
Got my driver's side door panel reinstalled.
Removed the two stone guards behind the front wheels - will replace with new 3M PPF.
Had Canton oil filter installed along with EZ Drain oil valve. Oil changes will be a snap now!

Drives very nice with the new rear shocks!! All efforts now focused on finishing the interior. Will probably work on cleaning the engine bay to break up the interior time here and there. Not looking forward to carpet removal!!!
Jim,
What rear shocks did you go with?

-Yogi
AKA 968 Novice
Old 05-26-2020, 11:45 AM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

Bilstein #24-020527 from the Bilstein B6 Performance Series

Around $103 each from Rock Auto. Cheapest price I found. I could compress and decompress both originals with my hands - one side was extremely bad - that side of my 968 was sagging badly. From everything I could find, the OEM ones are NLA and the above mentioned Bilsteins are the current replacements. Although I could be wrong about that

Fit perfectly and super easy to replace.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:02 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Bilstein #24-020527 from the Bilstein B6 Performance Series

Around $103 each from Rock Auto. Cheapest price I found. I could compress and decompress both originals with my hands - one side was extremely bad - that side of my 968 was sagging badly. From everything I could find, the OEM ones are NLA and the above mentioned Bilsteins are the current replacements. Although I could be wrong about that

Fit perfectly and super easy to replace.
A few weeks ago I saw a link from Classic Porsche Parts where they asked what parts we the classic Porsche owners wanted produced. I listed the part numbers for the OEM rear shocks and the rear hatch glass.
sorry I should have posted the link. My rubber boots have cracked and the piston is galled, plus bump stops are all deteriorated. So the question becomes do I replace F and R with Bilsteins or go OEM front and Bilsteins rear?
Thinking about adding a front strut brace at the same time...decisions decisions.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 05-26-2020, 12:17 PM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

No worries. The Porsche Classic parts request is great, but no guarantee if/when they will reproduce/reorder something. I wasn't going to wait for them to contact Sachs or whoever the manufacturer is and have another batch of the original rear shocks made for them. I also wouldn't want to keep contacting dealers/Porsche parts suppliers to see if they have the rear shocks in stock. I doubt you or I would be able to tell any difference between a new set of the OEM shocks and the Bilstein versions. If I recall correctly, the Bilsteins were (are) considered a better shock? Really dunno just going off vague memory.

My front bump stops are gone too, but the front struts are still good. I'll add new bump stops and boots when I replace the fronts - probably next spring. Not too worried about it at the moment.

All I know is now my cab's azz doesn't sag to one side and it rides great!

Quick Reply: what did you do with your 968 today.....