Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995
View Poll Results: would you like to see the 993 and 997 style hybrid body panels (page 12, 13) copied ?
yes, would like to see lightweight copies sold by GT Racing or other vendor.
61.29%
sounds cool, but not interested in doing this type of update.
38.71%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

a few upgrades for the 968....

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 07:11 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
...i've been kind of oblivious to the clear signal lights.

i just spent 350 bucks getting a new pair of the orange lenses so i guess i'll be staying with orange for now.

(i also don't actually mind them).....
Fair enough too

I think the clears can look good on some stock cars like black ones, but they would really suit yours IMO, like they do on FLWBYU's car, due to both cars looking so modern. DRLs for the same reason. I also think your car will look good with the orange ones, but am not sure if it will look like it just rolled out of the factory this morning, like it would with clears(again IMO). Bottom line though is your car is going to be a stunner regardless and will still look like a more modern variant that the factory has made
Old 07-28-2012, 08:57 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
Fair enough too

I think the clears can look good on some stock cars like black ones, but they would really suit yours IMO, like they do on FLWBYU's car, due to both cars looking so modern. DRLs for the same reason. I also think your car will look good with the orange ones, but am not sure if it will look like it just rolled out of the factory this morning, like it would with clears(again IMO). Bottom line though is your car is going to be a stunner regardless and will still look like a more modern variant that the factory has made
see, i disagree. i think the clears make the car look a little ricer and the orange gives it the factory appearance... ive changed my tune though. i used to love the clears and was actively looking for a set of 993 clear corners for my 968 before i settled on a set of euro corners. im happy i went that route looking back. imho of course
Old 07-28-2012, 11:51 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

*fotos of the finished paint job can be viewed on page 14.

Originally Posted by alxdgr8

Looks great, love the color choice! Were you able to get a mold before paint?

thanks !

as i alluded to earlier, i chose to replicate the high-rise, 993 style so that i could run the oem Xenon lamps.

to make this possible, i had to lower where the eye sockets sit on the fenders,

and then set them at a considerably steeper angle than others who have done this upgade,

[they're not using the entire hid lamp kit; but only the front section (lenses) and traditional halogen lamp.]

i'm gonna call Joel at GT Racing on Monday about making copies. the body work is porous,

so i rushed to get paint put on. but molds can be done later without bothering the paint.

on the front valance; frankly the thing i still don't like about it—is that it just doesn't come out far enough forward.

on the color... my camera can't really capture it.

if the sun goes behind a cloud, it turns to this very deep shade - like the Lemans Blue Corvette (below)...

but, when the sun comes back, it gets bright again almost like Minerva Blue.

Originally Posted by TheBlau

Any chance you will take it over to Cars & Coffee Boston at Larz Anderson tomorrow morning?

ok, didn't make it this morning cuz there's still a couple of items i'm trying to work out.....

but, there's always the next one on August 25th.

this is the color of the 6000 K Xenons. i'll try to get some better photos with the new paint up soon.

Attached Images       

Last edited by odurandina; 08-18-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:16 PM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, just incredible work, looks great ! Donn
Old 07-28-2012, 03:20 PM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this what you mean by "leveled"?
Old 07-28-2012, 03:31 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

thanks a lot !

still amiss as to how to fully eliminate the smiley face effect.

Last edited by odurandina; 07-28-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have to say, that's by far the best looking fixed headlight conversion on a 968 I've ever seen. You did an amazing job of incorporating the 993-style lights without altering the beautiful 968 low fender line too much. Did you do all the work yourself? And have you had any issues with aiming the headlights? I've heard this can be a challenge.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:56 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

first, i really appreciate these extremely postive comments.

i haven't gotten to a few of the questions from the last two pages, but i'll try in the next few hours...

Originally Posted by SDDave

While it's inevitable to see all the "Hey, I'm next, LOL" posts, let's get serious for a second... What would be involved in moving this towards a production item/s? Who would be able to do something like this on any kind of real scale? RS Barn, D9, one of the body panel shops (GT Racing, etc)?

As with anything, the price would dictate how many people are truly serious about picking them up, but I have a feeling this would become the 'go to' item for changing/upgrading the appearance of the 968 (aside from the elusive fixed headlight conversion, which may not be far off!)...

The way the side openings fit in a natural line with the inward sweep of the fender/headlights, the center opening being visually in line with the hood and fog lights... it really looks like it came from the factory/was designed that way. Moving it one step further, you could enlarge the center nose opening ala the Turbo nose setup...

I see GREAT potential here... VERY well done, Odurandina!!

Dave

well, hopefully more poeple will vote YES on the poll here, and eventually someone will step in fill the need. problem with the 968s, is this is still an expensive update in a small community and a low-production car. gonna sound like i'm gloating, but, i can't begin to tell you all how much of a joy it is to be running real oem HID lights.

thanks again !!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:20 AM
porsche_968
Advanced

Looks awesome.........
Old 08-04-2012, 01:27 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Damn, that's a lot of work. Looks really good, can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 08-04-2012, 04:02 AM
calguy
Instructor

One word: Amazing! Truly a work of art.

Calguy,

'80 924 N/A
'92 968 Cabriolet
Old 08-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

i have yet to compliment you on any of the work you have done to your car. truthfully, i had low expectations when you started this project. But it has come together much better then i had imagined it would. Excellent job. It all really works well together and could easily pass as a factory facelift of the 968. Great work.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:17 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

well, i appreciate that Dino.

the fenders required quite a bit of attention for what ended taking up the entire month of June.

below, a couple of pics with a bit more detail....

hopefully these shots show more clearly where i tapered the creased 968 fenders down to the rounded 993 style.

Originally Posted by Riad

Damn, that's a lot of work. Looks really good, can't wait to see the finished product!

thanks Rob,

hope you had a great time in the Leeward Islands.

Originally Posted by porsche_968

Looks awesome....

Originally Posted by calguy

One word: Amazing! Truly a work of art.

Calguy,

you guys are very kind. thank you.

i mentioned earlier that my front valance is rounded almost as much as a 997....

adding about 1" to the length of the car from the center of the bumper to the *** end.

i suppose i should scrub the primer off the tires before she goes back in the paint shop (Monday).

Attached Images      

Last edited by odurandina; 08-05-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's really impressive work! Well done - that would pass for being produced in the porsche factory.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:30 AM
qball
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Amazing work, great job. I love the look and function.

Quick Reply: a few upgrades for the 968....