Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Supercharger Kit Development

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:08 PM
edz968s
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it will help, then yes please. Would it be knurled also? Could the inner face be sand blasted to rough it up
I know the difference in size of pulley is small, but what is the difference in impeller speed, say at 6000rpm, I suppose the difference in output will be marginal as I have`nt got near peak yet.
Thanks Carl
Hey, Frazer, missed a good 'un. The day did start well, pouring with rain, which I liked and car went well, nothing past me early on and plenty overtaken until the belt wore out.

Last edited by edz968s; 10-26-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Sorry to hear about the problems Chris, I know it can be frustrating.

I'll be putting the SC, and all components (including the belt) to the test in a few weeks. Saturday will be a 90-minute enduro and Sunday with two 30 minute sprints. With another hour of track time each day for practice and qualifying, I think I'll order one or two more just in case.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:33 PM
edz968s
Instructor

3 belts at least
Old 10-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

3 belts at least
Somethings got to be wrong. I have customers (including racers) still on their original belt. You shouldnt be eating belts like this. I'll have a Stage 1 pulley made for you and ship it today. Please PM me your name and address to send it to ( I think I know which of our customers you are but want to be certain)

At least you can see the brass ring.... for the first laps of that race nobody could catch you or pass you!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

To those reading this thread and contemplating a kit purchase:

Please understand this kit was designed to be a low-cost, simple install, STREET kit. It does that very well.

These are owners who have taken this kit RACING and are pushing the kit to new limits not originally contemplated. We are finding out things when we do this.

These are problems you will not experience in a street-driven application.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Agreed, I do not see the same type of wear on my belt as Chris.

Carl, would you rather have me start a new thread on "Supercharged 968 racing" and post my information in that thread so that this thread can stay on topic?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:24 PM
edz968s
Instructor

I appreciate this kit is for a street install, but the need to go on track with it, is just to good to miss. At the start of the day, nothing got past me, ok I was on street tyres and it was pouring down and only hard core GT3`s bothered me, but towards the end of the day the belt was worn away in the centre and I could`nt get any boost or power due to slippage. If Tim can get through his up and coming events on the same belt, then maybe the 'racing' application should be the stage 1 pulley as he has fitted with higher sustained loads but less stress on the pulley/belt. Less is more S1 for track, S2 for road.
Carl e-mail sent.
Tim I still think this is on topic, it`s in use development, wether you want this kit for the street, racing or track use, it`s all relevant and a brilliant ongoing thread.
At times I do get peeved at the running of the car and install, but am glad I have it, the potential is there as you have found and I just need to get there to see of the pesky 911`s on track, as I did early on. I`ll get there soon and appreciate all the support from Carl and yourself, plus all the other encouraging offers of information and advice, wish I could just drive to Horicon and get it looked at first hand
Old 10-27-2010, 09:03 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I for one agree that a seperate thread should be created for applications that are non standard.
Some of these issue than be mis-interpreted by a reader as issue that the stock/street setup has. Regards.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:47 PM
edz968s
Instructor

Sorry, disagree, this is a thread for Carl`s kit and it should be pushed for further development be it on road or track it is still a standard set up. He made it as stated for a street install, but it should be capable for more aggresive driving, it`s a low boost kit and can handle a bit of sustained abuse on track. After the sessions, the inlet manifold was hot, heat soak from the engine, but the SC head was touchable along with the intake pipe work. This kit is do-able for track work, the temperatures of the cooling system never got higher than normal, I have heat range strips dotted around the engine bay and components, nothing got hotter than stock. It`s a good kit in any way you want to use it, I was flying around the track without problems, it`s still a belt wear/slip issue with me at the moment.
Tim has a proper race set up, lets see how he goes on the sessions he has, I suspect no problem in the running of it, just a belt wear issue over a prolonged heavy period.
Anyway, how many 968 SC kits are there in a racing application, Tim`s and we look forward to his development.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:31 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

this thread rocks. i respectfully, think all the stuff going on should stay right here.

sad to say, there does not seem to be high numbers of 968 owners in the world active on Rennlist, or anyplace else in the mode of serious upgrades for their cars. maybe it's the times. people are very nervous in this economy. i hate to say anything negative about Carl's wonderful project... but for example we've all run into people like this gentlman i ran into on the strip on Ft Lauderdale last spring... he mentioned he puts about 5 k miles on his 968 cab every year and has his car serviced at the Champion Porsche in Pompano.... he liked my car, and was quite curious about the simple mods i've done... but i don't think any of that sort of stuff was his cup of tea. he had never heard of Rennlist. a lot of people just aren't into car forums.

he mentioned he drives his 996 more often, i think, and he mentioned he had a couple of 968 friends he had met at Champion, and 944/968 guys while driving on the Ft. Lauderdale strip over the years.... apparently, his friends weren't putting high miles on their cars either, and i seriously doubt they're active on Rennlist.

downconverting to the stage 1 pully is easy enough for a novice like me to understand.

i imagine the street setup can go a long way between belt changes.

confabulation might be over-rated.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:20 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by edz968s
Sorry, disagree, this is a thread for Carl`s kit and it should be pushed for further development be it on road or track it is still a standard set up. He made it as stated for a street install, but it should be capable for more aggresive driving, it`s a low boost kit and can handle a bit of sustained abuse on track. After the sessions, the inlet manifold was hot, heat soak from the engine, but the SC head was touchable along with the intake pipe work. This kit is do-able for track work, the temperatures of the cooling system never got higher than normal, I have heat range strips dotted around the engine bay and components, nothing got hotter than stock. It`s a good kit in any way you want to use it, I was flying around the track without problems, it`s still a belt wear/slip issue with me at the moment.
Tim has a proper race set up, lets see how he goes on the sessions he has, I suspect no problem in the running of it, just a belt wear issue over a prolonged heavy period.
Anyway, how many 968 SC kits are there in a racing application, Tim`s and we look forward to his development.
Agreed this should stay on thread. Edz at least is talking about UK trackdays, this is not racing, timed or competetive. Just people opening up their road cars on a track with regular cool down laps and breaks every 15 - 20 mins. Harder than road use granted but not racing. Any car that is safe to drive hard on the road should be able to do trackdays with relative ease as 90% of the cars there are in road trim/ spec. I truly believe edz is having trouble related to the belt setup and once this is resolved it will be as reliable as any other belt driven sc kit can be. The track time has only highlighed that there is something wrong with the setup. We are all following with interest and hope you find the solution soon!
Old 10-28-2010, 08:30 AM
FraMac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nick_968
We are all following with interest and hope you find the solution soon!
Agreed - very much.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

I have no problem with it all staying on this one thread - so long as the interested buyer doesnt think we are having troubles with this kit in street use, because we aren't.

Because of the higher tractive force of a larger (Stage 1) pulley and the lowered loads, I have started recommending Stage 1 kits to 968 owners bent on racing.

I do not think its just coincidence that Chris is the only one having this severe belt slippage issue and is the only one experimenting with a non-standard belt tensioner and belt wrap. When he gets the Stage 1 pulley I am sending him, and when he guts that used AC unit so he can use the factory tensioner as designed, I think it will be all good for Chris. Nothing but low lap times and smiles.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Win on Sunday, sell on Monday

Radiator/intercooler ducting and air vent added to deal with cooling issues in a race application.

Last edited by Lemming; 10-28-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:33 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought that Chris had installed an a/c compressor to resolve the fitment and tensioner issues with a non ac car....or was there a problem doing that?

Quick Reply: 968 Supercharger Kit Development