968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Supercharger Kit Development

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by edz968s
Just back from my first track day with the SC.
I performed faultlessly as did the car, temperature got up to the other side of the lower mark, but nothing untoward, no excessive oil consumption, though 3/4 tank of petrol/gas used over 120 miles of serious use.
The car felt fast, but not extra 100BHP fast, a bit of lag around 3-4000, then takes off to the red-line.
So still a bit of development to do, to get the full potential
Glad to hear that it went well. Started mine today, bit rough at idle but will work on it. Couldn't let it run for long as it's on the lift in the garage and the wife started complaining of fumes

Last edited by Lemming; 09-15-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

What I hope is the final placement of air intake system and intercooler. This of course is for a 944S with 968 engine. I'm fairly pleased with the result.

The 944 fuel return line must be different from the 968. The hard line that came with the kit does not fit on the return line, luckily the flex line does. To be honest this shortened setup works better in my opinion. I plan on getting some heat shielding to surround the flex line since it is sitting directly above the headers.

Dyno is now scheduled for Oct 1 and first track day will be Oct 6th if all goes well.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 105 Posts

Pretty good! I would suggest being ready to move the MAF closer to the air cleaner, or switching to a hybrid recirculation valve (that dumps some air to atmo) in case the turbulence from the air return is a problem. I had too much recirculated air at idle and at lift-throttle, that caused a bouncy idle and some issues at light throttle cruise, as well as some stalling at lift throttle sometimes. Moving the MAF cured everything, it was mostly a problem with airflow over the air meter element.

In your case you have so much volume downstream of the blower it might not be a problem at all, but you never know.

Looks badass.
-Joel.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Pretty good! I would suggest being ready to move the MAF closer to the air cleaner, or switching to a hybrid recirculation valve (that dumps some air to atmo) in case the turbulence from the air return is a problem. I had too much recirculated air at idle and at lift-throttle, that caused a bouncy idle and some issues at light throttle cruise, as well as some stalling at lift throttle sometimes. Moving the MAF cured everything, it was mostly a problem with airflow over the air meter element.

In your case you have so much volume downstream of the blower it might not be a problem at all, but you never know.

Looks badass.
-Joel.
Joel,

Any suggestions on a good recirculation valve?

Tim
Old 09-20-2010, 11:56 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 105 Posts

Everything I know on the subject:

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...ml#post7759871
Old 09-21-2010, 12:27 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

There were a few hickups today while running the car. On Sunday, the car ran great, bit of a stumble at idle but not too bad. Car did want to stall when the throttle was chopped but it stayed running. Today was completely different. Started just fine, pulled into driveway and idled for about 5 minutes. Revved the engine a few times and it died. Would not start without applying gas and would run as long as I kept gas applied. Pulled the car back into the garage. I thought that I might be low on gas as it has to be very close to being empty so was determined to put gas in tomorrow and try again. However, Joel's idea sounded like something I should try so I moved the MAF closer to the air filter.

However, when I took the system apart I heard something clattering. Turns out that part of the plastic screen on the MAF had broken off and it looks like it took out the MAF sensor wires.

What you are looking at are zip ties that are used to hold the "air straightener" on the MAF. This keeps the aluminum straightener from being sucked into the SC. Well, luckily I have a spare MAF so I pulled it out and put it in the system. I'm going to try it tomorrow without the straightener as I don't want to destroy another MAF. Will report in tomorrow night, unfortunately it is too late here for me to start the car

I also noticed a nice shiny bolt in the driveway after coming back into the garage. After some hunting I found that it is the bolt that holds the pulley on the supercharger. Guess that will get some loctite when it goes on tomorrow. For those of you with SC's, check your pulley bolt!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Hey, who has my back Didn't anyone notice that I have the recirculation valve on backwards?????
Old 09-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I like the flow through the intercooler and out again. Good job.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Ok, got the recirculating valve on correctly, and put the nut back on the main pulley. Started the car and it is sooooooo much smoother. Idles just fine and does not want to die when I chop the throttle. Moving the MAF further away really helps (thanks Joel!). I am not running the air straightener and still works well. Video of the car running will be up on Vimeo soon http://www.vimeo.com/15175013
Old 09-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Ok, got the recirculating valve on correctly, and put the nut back on the main pulley. Started the car and it is sooooooo much smoother. Idles just fine and does not want to die when I chop the throttle. Moving the MAF further away really helps (thanks Joel!). I am not running the air straightener and still works well. Video of the car running will be up on Vimeo soon http://www.vimeo.com/15175013
Great video Tim.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:50 AM
edz968s
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice install.
What make of i/c is that?
Sound just like mine. I have limited room to move the MAF any further away, so have to keep the `honeycomb` filter, but I`ve done a few hundred miles with it now and seems to go well, just need that a/c comp to try and get the missing ponies.
Looking forward to your rolling road results
Old 09-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Great video Tim.
Once I get the body work on it should be much quieter, hopefully just a nice little whine at idle

Originally Posted by edz968s
Nice install.
What make of i/c is that?
Sound just like mine. I have limited room to move the MAF any further away, so have to keep the `honeycomb` filter, but I`ve done a few hundred miles with it now and seems to go well, just need that a/c comp to try and get the missing ponies.
Looking forward to your rolling road results
I just got a second AC comp to play with ($15), you need to check out the junk yards for one. I'm going to try to turn the carcass of this one into swiss cheese to save more weight. If all goes well, I'll have proper whine and cheese
Old 09-22-2010, 08:53 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

does an intercooler present resistance to the blower ?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
does an intercooler present resistance to the blower ?
Some of course. The resistance is typically measured in pressure drop per amount of airflow across the intercooler. Most likely less than 1psi for Tim's setup.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Some of course. The resistance is typically measured in pressure drop per amount of airflow across the intercooler. Most likely less than 1psi for Tim's setup.
I'm hoping the cooler charge air will make up for the loss in pressure.

Quick Reply: 968 Supercharger Kit Development