968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Supercharger Kit Development

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 04:40 PM
FraMac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nick_968
I thought that Chris had installed an a/c compressor to resolve the fitment and tensioner issues with a non ac car....or was there a problem doing that?
I think he had trouble gutting the compressor he got, Nick.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by FraMac
I think he had trouble gutting the compressor he got, Nick.
A "non-gutted" ac was installed prior to the track day as far as I know. I'm sure that Chris will chime in.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:23 PM
FraMac
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lemming
A "non-gutted" ac was installed prior to the track day as far as I know. I'm sure that Chris will chime in.
Apologies Tim - I remembered Chris had difficulty stipping it - I didn't appreciate he'd run with it as it was.

All the best,

Fraser.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:25 PM
edz968s
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I have and had fitted the a/c comp prior to this day, though I couldn`t get the wheel off to remove the insides.
On the way to the event the car flew up on normal road use, just went off the boil around the track later on due to the belt wear and then a loss of boost pressure.
I shall post pics of the worn belt and dust accumulation.
Strangely, without the now snapped balance belt the engine seems to run a lot smoother, can the engine be run for any length of time without a balance belt?

Last edited by edz968s; 10-28-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by edz968s
Strangely, without the now snapped balance belt the engine seems to run a lot smoother, can the engine be run for any length of time without a balance belt?
Sounds like your balance shafts were not aligned correctly. And yes, you can run the car without the balance belt, but it will vibrate more than a properly "balanced" car. Vibration usually causes problems with the oil pickup tube.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Apologies Tim - I remembered Chris had difficulty stipping it - I didn't appreciate he'd run with it as it was.

All the best,

Fraser.
No reason for an apology. Chris and I email each other daily about the SC setup, so I have a bit more information that what appears on this thread. I also think that you need to start a thread about your car!
Old 10-29-2010, 04:47 AM
FraMac
Advanced

Vibration usually causes problems with the oil pickup tube.
Not directly related to your post, but the oil pick up was modified by Porsche on the later 968 cars.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:44 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Not directly related to your post, but the oil pick up was modified by Porsche on the later 968 cars.
They will still crack if the balance shafts are misaligned. Seen it before.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:33 PM
FraMac
Advanced

......I also think that you need to start a thread about your car!
I'm happy to if there's an appetite for it Tim.

Enjoy your weekend,

Fraser.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:24 PM
edz968s
Instructor

Going to be off this thread for a while with the s/c development.
After the balance belt shredded itself, knocked out the side of the cover and cracked the distributor cap, lucky to get home the 172 miles as the cam belt was split in 2 over 30%, I`m attempting to change all the belts and rollers. Got the front stripped and parts off and on order.
Can someone point me to a thread on here for changing/fitting the cam/balance belt/ rollers and in particular the timing set up.
Cheers
Going to be a long lay up this winter for now
Old 11-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Going to be off this thread for a while with the s/c development.
After the balance belt shredded itself, knocked out the side of the cover and cracked the distributor cap, lucky to get home the 172 miles as the cam belt was split in 2 over 30%, I`m attempting to change all the belts and rollers. Got the front stripped and parts off and on order.
Can someone point me to a thread on here for changing/fitting the cam/balance belt/ rollers and in particular the timing set up.
Cheers
Going to be a long lay up this winter for now
Well, I'm a "the glass is half full" kinda guy. I've gone through two 968 engines in NA form while tracking the car, so consider yourself lucky. This is also a good opportunity for you to replace the belts, rollers and water pump, which in your case are fairly old. What about rod bearings, how old are they. I would say if they are more than 3 years, consider replacing them while the car is down.

As for a good reference, I always use www.clarks-garage.com

The good news about doing the front end, it gives you plenty of time to drink beer with your mates while working in the garage
Old 11-02-2010, 05:51 PM
edz968s
Instructor

All the internals were done quite recently, rings, valves, guides, cams, cam chain, etc, etc, along with the belts and many £££££££££££££`s
So don`t know why they decided to give up.
It`s the winter lay up now, so time time do it all, though £££££££££££££`s are few at the moment.
It will give me time to sort an i/c install, sort out bonnet vents and so on.
Drinking beer on my own in the garage gives me ideas, that no one can argue with
Good luck with the upcoming events
Old 11-02-2010, 06:03 PM
FraMac
Advanced

All the internals were done quite recently, rings, valves, guides, cams, cam chain, etc, etc, along with the belts and many £££££££££££££`s
So don`t know why they decided to give up.
It`s the winter lay up now, so time time do it all, though £££££££££££££`s are few at the moment.
It will give me time to sort an i/c install, sort out bonnet vents and so on.
Drinking beer on my own in the garage gives me ideas, that no one can argue with
Good luck with the upcoming events
Sorry you're in the wars Chris - let me know if you want to split a beer or two - we're just over the border (ish) from you.

Stay in touch,

Fraser.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:44 PM
edz968s
Instructor

If you can set my timing up, pop down for a weekend
I have the larger pulley on route to address the track s/c install, from Carl on it`s way, but going to be next year at least before this develpment from my point goes further.
In the mean time, those out there that previously bought this kit and posted, how you getting on, any feedback
Old 11-02-2010, 06:50 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Chris, good luck with the work. You seem pretty determined you will get there in the end. I have spent the last 3 years getting my car right and I just got it back running again yesterday having swapped various combinations of parts until I got it tight and running like a factory install before I once again return to the dyno to get that elusive final tune right! Modifying these cars is not for the feint hearted!

Quick Reply: 968 Supercharger Kit Development