Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Supercharger Kit Development

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:06 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Tim that new color is awesome. i'm jealous something wicked. and it's halloween.

hope you don't add any more colors just the normal lettering, etc.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
Tim that new color is awesome. i'm jealous something wicked. and it's halloween.

hope you don't add any more colors just the normal lettering, etc.
Just going to extend the black the entire length of the rocker. Might add a swoop in the back like the 968 plastic piece.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

The car has been running fine until now, done around 400 miles,a dyno run and a track day, but now seems reluctant to idle
Checking the fuel rail pressure was a good idea.

Another idea: unplug the MAF and see if there is any change. (Yes, the car should run with the MAF unplugged). Or swap in a borrowed MAF from a friends car to see if it makes the difference...

I wouldnt swap the injectors round and change the FMU settings - you had it tuned and running for 400 miles so you know those settings are right. Leave those items alone and troubleshoot to discover what has suddenly failed. Changing injectors and FMU settings can just cloud the issue further.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:05 PM
edz968s
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris, what injectors are you running? Not the stage II that Carl sent you, but the ones that were in the car?
The injectors that don`t work are the supplied ones.
I have tuned the fuel gauge to sit on 50 PSI and touch 60 on full throttle, played about with the FMU and it`s running ok. Eating the belt though, dust everywhere, although everything seems aligned. I have put a more aggresive knurl on the pulley, but eventualy it will wear a `trench` in the belt and just be touching the outer edges.
Carl, do you think a stage 1 pulley may be a better option and see if the lower rotation may solve some of, if not all the problems
Old 10-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Chris,

I have very little dust and just modest wear on the backside of my belt. And yes, I run it very tight.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Thats certainly somthing to try.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:58 PM
edz968s
Instructor

What seems to be happening, is I come off the throotle, say going down hill for a few minutes, go back on the throttle and nothing happens, the engine is dead, starved of fuel, a/f guage in the lean zone, then stumbles, backfires and carries on as normal. The belt I fitted 300 miles ago is now shot! Dust everywhere and the centre bit worn away from the knurling, would a `stage 1` pulley be better, or would belt slip still be an issue with one?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Chris,

I am still on the original belt but have no idea of the miles on it. See below. I'm sure that when it was slipping that it was ripping it pretty well. I did see some dust right after it was installed but not any longer.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:11 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by edz968s
What seems to be happening, is I come off the throotle, say going down hill for a few minutes, go back on the throttle and nothing happens, the engine is dead, starved of fuel, a/f guage in the lean zone, then stumbles, backfires and carries on as normal. The belt I fitted 300 miles ago is now shot! Dust everywhere and the centre bit worn away from the knurling, would a `stage 1` pulley be better, or would belt slip still be an issue with one?
Does it do this with a full fuel tank? Just wondering if the return line is aerating the fuel in the tank and you're getting an air/fuel mix in the pump line. More prevalent at low demand because more fuel is being returned to the tank.
If you see a difference in behaviour between a full and nearly empty fuel tank, then you might suspect that the return pipe in the tank has failed in some way and is no longer submerged. i have no idea what the inside of the tank looks like, however.

Mike
Old 10-26-2010, 06:15 AM
FraMac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a steel pulley you're using Chris?

Sorry I can't make Oulton today - out of the office yesterday, and playing catch-up at the moment.

Might a swirl pot help the fuelling problem?

Fraser.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:18 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Annoyingly, the quickest way to diagnose will be to put it back to standard, see if there is still a problem and work your way back from there.....
Old 10-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Annoyingly, the quickest way to diagnose will be to put it back to standard, see if there is still a problem and work your way back from there.....
+1 Given how easy it is to unsinstall the supercharger and put the MAF back where it used to be with this kit, I agree. Get it running well stock first, then supercharge it.

We designed the take-off and re-install to be simple for our Southern Cailfornia friends. Just pop the SC unit off, change belts, go get your 2-year sticker, come hoime, and put the SC back on it.

You can use this design to your benefit now - pop it off and diagnose the problem.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:48 PM
edz968s
Instructor

Just back from my track day. The new belt fitted prior to this is now trashed. The knurling wears the inner part very quickly at sustained and prolonged track work, around 150 miles today. It wears the centre out so the knurling has nothing to grip only the smooth outsides of the pulley now grips the belt, or doesn`t as it slipped like hell, giving me now boost whatsoever, towards the end of the day, the crank spins to fast for the pulley to keep up, this may also explain erratic fuelling issues. The head unit pulley needs to be something like solid rubber or similar to `grip` the belt ruber on rubber. This set up at the moment is not working on my car AND to cap matters the balance belt snapped and tore out the side of the housing round the distributor cap.
Other wise at the start of the day and in teeming wet conditions it went well, but soon started getting less and less bosst, until the belt wore out
At this moment in time, it will be coming off and getting put in a box in a dark corner, until a grippy pulley is invented.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

The smaller the pulley, the less tractive force it has. The contact patch with the belt gets smaller and smaller... Would you like me to send you a larger (Stage 1) pulley to try? You would have less belt slip issues.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:02 PM
FraMac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just back from my track day. The new belt fitted prior to this is now trashed. The knurling wears the inner part very quickly at sustained and prolonged track work, around 150 miles today. It wears the centre out so the knurling has nothing to grip only the smooth outsides of the pulley now grips the belt, or doesn`t as it slipped like hell, giving me now boost whatsoever, towards the end of the day, the crank spins to fast for the pulley to keep up, this may also explain erratic fuelling issues. The head unit pulley needs to be something like solid rubber or similar to `grip` the belt ruber on rubber. This set up at the moment is not working on my car AND to cap matters the balance belt snapped and tore out the side of the housing round the distributor cap.
Other wise at the start of the day and in teeming wet conditions it went well, but soon started getting less and less bosst, until the belt wore out
At this moment in time, it will be coming off and getting put in a box in a dark corner, until a grippy pulley is invented.
Frustrating Chris, I'm sure. Good start to the day sounds encouraging, fingers crossed for you.

Fraser

Quick Reply: 968 Supercharger Kit Development