Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Some Maintenance work

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:50 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Ryan, I always remove the fans to get additional space. Its not hard to do and they can be removed from the top. Its only 2 connections.
One way to get more space would be to losen the rear belt cover. Its held in place by 2 10mm bolts on top to the back of the cam pulley cover and on the bottom by 2 additonal 10mm bolts. If your tensioner is out, you should be able to remove these are be able to move the rear belt cover a bit. To remove the belt cover, you need to remove the bs pulleys if that might help.
Raj
Old 03-13-2008, 04:52 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Update: 3/13/2008

Removed Gas Tank to trace gas leak. So far it looks like the hose between filler neck and tank is what could be causing the leak. That could be a good sign because I won't need to buy another gas tank. Just to make sure, I am getting it pressure tested. The shop told me that there are plastic weld kits available in case there is a leak.
So far, its been a positive day and I might be getting off easy on the gas tank leak problem. Looks like all parts for plating will have to wait till monday.
Also, I found the passenger side motor mount to be completely shot and cracked. All the fluid was missing.
Changed the front and rear crank seal. The o'ring for the oil pump gear for so old and hard that it broke like it was plastic. Next is engine cleanup and getting it on engien stand so I can start workng on the oil pan section. i might check the rod bearing while the pan is off to make sure they look fine.
Raj

Last edited by RajDatta; 03-13-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:05 PM
ryan@usaimage.com
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like a lot of cabs have this gas smell problem. I know I get it at times, but could never track it down. Are the lines accessible without dropping the tank? (I bet I know the answer to this already)
Old 03-13-2008, 05:31 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ryan@usaimage.com
Seems like a lot of cabs have this gas smell problem. I know I get it at times, but could never track it down. Are the lines accessible without dropping the tank? (I bet I know the answer to this already)
Won't that be too easy. I will keep everyone posted. It could very well be the hose that connects the tank neck to the filler neck. Its a flexible hose. The hoses that run on each side of the tank are up top.
Surprisingly the tank is very easy to remove once you have the transmission off. This could potentially help others figure out the problem with their tank smell.
I know someone who had to swap their gas tank because of some idiot electronic installer who drilled right into the tank while installing the amp.
Raj
Old 03-14-2008, 06:00 AM
968turbos2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seem to remember something about carbon canister for the EGR system going bad and causing that smell as well. those tanks are behind the fender aren't they?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:40 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes on the drivers side.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:00 AM
ryan@usaimage.com
Instructor

I wonder how many years the carbon can absorb fumes? This is not what I think of as a maintenence item, but maybe it should be. Anybodt replace theirs?

Ryan
92 968 cab
97 944S
Old 03-14-2008, 11:10 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I can't imagine the canister being the cause of the fumes. The fumes come from the back and I saw how the setup can be the cause for fumes on a cabriolet. The filler necks are completely different between cabs and coupes. The cab neck make a strong turn while the coupe comes in straight. There is a flexible hose that connects the neck to the tank. In cabs its easy for the flexible hose to not seat well or come lose over time and possibly cause drips from splashes when the tank is filled.
This could be the case in my car as well. I can't see any evidence of gas tank rupture of any sort.
Raj
Old 03-15-2008, 01:39 AM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made an adapter to go to the filler neck from the outside that way you test the entire gas tank, associated hoses, and it uses compressed air. So if there is a leak follow the hiss and you will find it.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:29 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Not sure if it would be that simple with the tank in the car. You can hardly trace any hiss that is on top of the gas tank. With hoses up in the area you would still need to drop it to further investigate.
That test would only eliminate or troubleshoot lower gas tank leaks or filler neck hose leaks with the tank in the car. Those are easier to trace anyway.
Raj
Old 03-15-2008, 05:00 AM
StewHatch
Racer

I have the same gas smell in my coupe. But I only get the smell if I fill the tank over 3/4 .... when I bought the car, the fuel gauge didn't read over 1/4 tank despite being full, so I replaced the fuel sender unit ($5 on E-Bay!) and not only does the gauge work perfectly, but the smell has diminished as well (????). I don't understand why or how.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:03 PM
rdhayward
Racer

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
If you're slipping down the slope, you might as well slap on some skis!
The best zinger in recent history, and so appropriate in this context!

EDITED FOR THIS AFTERTHOUGHT: With your permission, I'd consider making that my signature.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:40 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Update: 03/15/2008
Good News. There is a leak in the gas tank and its right where the neck is. It looks like the plastic welds gave in on the seams. I was told of a local place that could fix it. I was also told that I could do it myself with the right epoxy but its one of those things I prefer leaving to a shop so they pressure test it afterwards.
I will be installing the engine on the engine stand tonight and start cleaning the engine area. I have a little 968 gathering going tonight to watch the 1st F1 race of the season. This should help me get the engine on stands so I can start working on the rest of the seals.
Raj
Old 03-18-2008, 05:17 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Raj- Doing a full detail of that engine bay, right?
Old 03-18-2008, 01:06 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
Raj- Doing a full detail of that engine bay, right?
Absolutely, along with the engine, transmission and all other bits and pieces. Everything is begining to show up and I should have the hardware back later on this week. I am dying to put it back together. It should be a fun 2-4 weeks.
Raj

Quick Reply: Some Maintenance work