968 Forum 1992-1995

Some Maintenance work

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:11 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Some Maintenance work

Decided to do the cam chain, tensioner pads, front seals, rear main seal and both bs seals.
The car has been on stands for th last week and I have been working on it on and off. I finally got the cams today and removed everything. Boy was I glad.
The tensioner pads have a lot of pitting and grooves, especially the lower one. I will have to check the receipts but based on memory, I remember the previous owner getting a complete head job along with new variocam tensioner and one of the cams. She had a timing belt failure from never changing it.
Looking at the mileage, the pads should have around 50-60k on them. I will have to confirm with receipts. Not sure how long it could have gone on for. I am taking tons of pictures so I can do some DIY. I will post some pictures of the tensioner pads soon.
I guess on to front seals tomorrow. I am so tempted to do the head and cams but I must wait . Got other maintenance items to work before I can go the modification route.
I will keep everyone posted on developments.
Raj
Old 02-26-2008, 12:25 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So how much time does it take you to change Vario tensioner pads and chain now? Seems like you've done it a million time! Well done. BTW a package was shipped out to you today.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:12 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Post a pic of the damaged pads!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:21 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Trevor, I think I can get to the tensioner pads in around 2 hrs. As always its much faster removing things than it is putting them back together. I saved a lot of time on pulling the upper/lower bs pulleys, crank and cam pulleys because the mechanics that did the work were smart enough to put some form of anti sieze.
Arash, I made sure I took plenty of pictures of the pads. I will post them tonight. I also need to go back to the maintenance records to see what was changed 50k miles back.
Tonight I will be dropping the tranny and start to bring the gas tank down. It has a high leak which only happens past 10 gallons. Its something I knew when I bought it. It could be a line or the tank itself. The previous owner did have someone install an aftermarket sound system so who knows..
I will keep documenting all the work with pictures.
Raj
Old 02-26-2008, 10:51 AM
ryan@usaimage.com
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raj, I am doing front seals as well. First time into the front of one of these cars. What a pain! I can not get the power steering pump off. I remove the front bolt and there is this center nut on a shaft that I thought needed to be shifted to remove. No dice!! screwed it as far as I could and it will not come out or let the pump fall. Any idea what I am talking about? Why couldn't Porsche just put a long bolt all the way through like an American car?

Ryan
87 944S
92 968 cab
Old 02-26-2008, 11:23 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Ryan, you need to remove the front and the rear nuts off. The power steering has two spacers, one on each side that allow it to swivel. Once you remove both the front and the rear nuts off, along with the spacers, you should be able to remove the ps pump by sliding it forward a bit.
You won't be able to get it off if you only remove the front nut. Both are 13mm nuts. Once you have these off, you can let the ps pump hang by the hose.
Let me know if you still have problems.
Raj
Old 02-26-2008, 11:57 AM
ryan@usaimage.com
Instructor

I do have the bolts off both ends, but there is a center nut on a treaded shaft that I have backed all the way out that won't let it drop. If you turn the center nut it moves the treaded shaft, but there is not enough room for it to come out. Crazy design!! I don't know what those Germans were smokin.

Ryan
87 944S
92 968 cab
Old 02-26-2008, 12:01 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Ryan, the center nut on a threaded shaft is actually part of the ps pump. There is no need to remove it. Would pitures help. Mine is already out and I can take some pictures for you tonight.
Looks like your nut is stock on the longer stud and instead of the nut coming off, the entire stud is turning. That is what it sounds like to me.
Your other choice would be to remove the lower bs housing and disconnecting the ps hoses. This way the unit will come down as 1 piece.
Raj
Old 02-26-2008, 12:17 PM
ryan@usaimage.com
Instructor

Yeah..I have pulled the banjo bolt and have the system draining. Thanks for the offer of pics. I looked at it on the PET diagram and it looks like the shaft comes with the nut in the center. I can't really be sure.

Ryan
87 944S
92 968 cab
Old 02-26-2008, 12:27 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

The shaft and the nut is actually all one piece. You can't remove the nut. It has threads on both ends, one for keeping the ps pump tgether and the other to help mount it.
Raj
Old 02-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Gentleman Driver
Instructor

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I remember the previous owner getting a complete head job along with new variocam tensioner and one of the cams. She had a timing belt failure from never changing it.
Looking at the mileage, the pads should have around 50-60k on them. I will have to confirm with receipts. Not sure how long it could have gone on for.
Raj, my previous owner had the same thing happen at about 60K. My car has 100K right now, should I be worried about the pads with probably only 40K on them? I want to inspect them, but it appears difficult to get into just to look at them, and my mechanic informed me that you have to change the gaskets/seals when you remove the valve cover...

Thanks
Old 02-26-2008, 01:59 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

GD, you should change the seals if they are no longer soft but if they are still soft, some simple green will work and you can reuse them.
Its hard to see the lower pad unless you take it apart. Removing the cams and tensioner is an additional 2.5-3 hrs R&R if you are already doing the belts.
Raj
Old 02-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
GD, you should change the seals if they are no longer soft but if they are still soft, some simple green will work and you can reuse them.
Its hard to see the lower pad unless you take it apart. Removing the cams and tensioner is an additional 2.5-3 hrs R&R if you are already doing the belts.
Raj

Raj, I good dyi would be fantastic. I'd like to do that on my spare engine that is currently out and on a stand awaiting the 2009 season (I've been swapping engines every year, much easier to do the seals and such with the engine on the stand).
Old 02-26-2008, 03:12 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Tim, you got it!
Raj
Old 02-26-2008, 04:58 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Raj, I good dyi would be fantastic. I'd like to do that on my spare engine that is currently out and on a stand awaiting the 2009 season (I've been swapping engines every year, much easier to do the seals and such with the engine on the stand).
... https://rennlist.com/forums/968-forum/409911-diy-camshaft-chain-tensioner-pads.html

r u saying mine sucks?

Quick Reply: Some Maintenance work