Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Some Maintenance work

Old 03-05-2008, 01:14 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Raj, I changed the RMS on my blue car with the bellhousing on. It was easy enough to get it out with the drill-and-screw trick, while getting it in was tricky, but very doable! If the only reason you're pulling the TT back is to do the RMS, you really don't need to, IMHO.

I had to fashion a little tool to use the flywheel bolts to press in the RMS. I can PM you pics/details if you need. Others have fashioned tools that use other fixed points to press it in. Doable!

If you still want to pull the TT then cheers and good luck!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:00 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Arash, I also have to do the oil pan gasket and oil filter housing gasket, along with water pump thermostat. I think it might be easier with the engine out at this point. Not much left to do to remove it.
Raj
Old 03-05-2008, 11:14 AM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raj,

I hope you are taking pictures in preparation for your upcoming book on "How to dismantle and rebuild your Porsche 968". I look forward to the continued saga. ;-)
Old 03-05-2008, 11:45 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flwbyu
Raj,

I hope you are taking pictures in preparation for your upcoming book on "How to dismantle and rebuild your Porsche 968". I look forward to the continued saga. ;-)
I will be honest, there are times when I don't bother because I am knee deep into it and don't like to break my concentration. Going forward, I will take pictures before I get started because I know I won't stop in the middle to take any.
I will keep updating everytime I make progress
Rak
Old 03-09-2008, 10:13 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Update: 03/09/2008

Removed the engine out of the engine bay

Picture of engine outside. It should be much easier to work on it now. Should have the engine on engine stand by wed. A big thank you to Steve for lending a hand. I removed the engine from the bottom.

Trying to gather all the nut/bolts/heatshields so they can be sent for plating

Regards.
Raj
Old 03-09-2008, 10:42 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Good Heaven's, Raj! You're starting to get serious! I'd never be able to remember which bolt went where....

BTW, is the stock 968 oil pan gasket cork? If not, is there a stronger aftermarket piece?

Good luck!

Harvey
Old 03-09-2008, 10:43 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Installation is reverse of removal
Old 03-10-2008, 12:01 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by H2
Good Heaven's, Raj! You're starting to get serious! I'd never be able to remember which bolt went where....

BTW, is the stock 968 oil pan gasket cork? If not, is there a stronger aftermarket piece?

Good luck!

Harvey
Harvey, it made of some rubber material. The factory used a sealant on the edges and I try to do the same. The stock oil pan gasket works fine.
The toughest part of the job is keeping track of so many nuts/bolts etc. Taking is apart is easy, lets see how installation goes .
Raj
Old 03-10-2008, 03:23 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jumpin' Jehosephat, Raj. You're into this knee deep already!

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
The stock oil pan gasket works fine. The toughest part of the job is keeping track of so many nuts/bolts etc.
It's also critical to follow the tightening sequence specified in the Factory Manuals, and not over tighten or apply too much sealant. In fact, sealant is only used on the corners. The rest of the gasket "seals itself."

For the bolts, just use a lot of marked ziplock bags to keep track of everything. Taking photos of everything is also very helpful. That's where the wife comes in!
Old 03-10-2008, 04:31 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice work. I love looking into an engine bay with a nice color all around. Working in black engine bays is depressing, but that's about the only thing bad with black.

I envy the result of all this work - I'm sure the entire engine bay will be cleaned and detailed, the motor will be spic and the ancillaries will be span! Not to mention the thing will be as good as new. I was under my car today, and everything is so.... juicy.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:16 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Jumpin' Jehosephat, Raj. You're into this knee deep already!

It's also critical to follow the tightening sequence specified in the Factory Manuals, and not over tighten or apply too much sealant. In fact, sealant is only used on the corners. The rest of the gasket "seals itself."

For the bolts, just use a lot of marked ziplock bags to keep track of everything. Taking photos of everything is also very helpful. That's where the wife comes in!
That is exactly how I do it Luis. Lots of zip lock bags.
Raj
Old 03-10-2008, 11:25 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bag & Tag
Old 03-10-2008, 11:36 AM
ryan@usaimage.com
Instructor

OK, I am at a stand still again. I am trying to do a front end reseal and can not get the 2 hex-head bolts that hold the belt guide below the crank pully out. The things are stuck and now stripped. There is not enough room to get a socket on them and was wondering if anybody has any tips. This should have been an easy job, but everything that can go wrong has.

Ryan
87 944S
92 968 cab
Old 03-10-2008, 12:35 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ryan@usaimage.com
OK, I am at a stand still again. I am trying to do a front end reseal and can not get the 2 hex-head bolts that hold the belt guide below the crank pully out. The things are stuck and now stripped. There is not enough room to get a socket on them and was wondering if anybody has any tips. This should have been an easy job, but everything that can go wrong has.

Ryan
87 944S
92 968 cab
Ryan, you should remove the pulleys before you remove that guide. Otherwise, as you said, there is no way to get to the nuts. You have 2 10mm bolts and 3 hex head bolts. If you have the flywheel lock, remove the crank pulley along with the bs pulley. I always remove them as 1 piece. Its easy to slide them off if you spray some pb blaster and let it sit.
The way you are doing it, it will take you forever and you will never be able to get the new bs belt on.
Raj
Old 03-10-2008, 12:57 PM
ryan@usaimage.com
Instructor

Raj, the pullys are off. I need to remove the belt guide in order to get the plastic shield off. The plastic shield is so close I can't get anything on the outside of the hex-heads and their is not a lot of room in front with the fan and rad still in the car.

Ryan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some Maintenance work