Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Flatnose progress

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 06:48 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

James, please get some engine dyno video for us, would be a real treat to see, some of the engine and some inside the operators room....

Old 10-27-2010, 04:42 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Well, another day on the Dyno (at £3k a day.....). Boost problem now sorted. Turns out these Porsche waste-gates i'd had publicly claimed as bullet proof, are not.... One leaking badly down the shaft. Both replaced with Tial units nicked of another car <cough>.

Engine is doing a stella job. After each run the engine is inspected inside and out, every cylinder scoped and every seal examined.

We had a problem with the intercooler; its just too efficient. It wasn't allowing intake temps to rise. RC decided we really should map for at least some increase in AIT so they blanked off half the Intercooler in an attempt to let AIT rise; at least slightly.

I had decided a while ago, that GT2 Evo cams would be a good compromise over the cams that RC races with. I may have been a bit of a poof. The GT2 cams are all done by 7k RPM, RC's choice carry on to 8-8.5k. The good news is the engine is crying out for that extra RPM as its pushing out the BHP with ease. Its loving boost as well.

We hit a new problem in that there is some strange error with the Lambda reading as recorded by MoTeC. Swapping Lambda probes just caused another failure. Very much not clear what the problem is. RC and his wiz-kidds are sleeping on it, so i'll be racking up another day of JUDDs time tomorrow.

We are limiting boost to 1.6bar for the road map, but it has run happily at 2bar :O
Old 10-28-2010, 06:14 PM
turbo 3.6
Racer

Oh i so can't wait to see pic's of this finished, and hopefully some vid's!!! (hint hint)

Its truely going to be one very cool piece of of kit James, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:52 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Well the week is over. Engine ran great on the Dyno all week, pretty much flat out under extreme load.

Due to the delay in Vmax we took the decision to strip the engine down completely to check on the health of everything whilst we had the chance. Everything is looking great, bearings, rings, heads, pistons etc. The injectors are going off to be flow tested and ultra-sonic cleaned just to be on the safe side. We dismantled the screwing liners/heads to check the seal. RC is going to add another layer of protection he found out about recently as used by Rolls Royce...

This thing is going to be mental!
Old 10-30-2010, 03:09 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

For ***** sake James, we need figures
Old 11-23-2010, 04:53 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

OK, well, we got bumped off the dyno as we were taking too long. We had to let other scheduled customers in. Thats out the way and the engine was back on this evening and tested ready for another day tomorrow.

I have been promised some pics/video of the engine doing its thing so will post once I have them.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:56 AM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Its about time too.

Can`t wait.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:34 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesE
Well, another day on the Dyno (at £3k a day.....). :O
That would be US $ 4400/day Is that a typo or that's how much they charge ?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:22 AM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

I believe it was £2500 + VAT (17.5%) for a full day. That includes the man from JUDD, which I expect is where the money went. We wont have run all day every day as there would have been plenty of buggering around given its a new engine design. But even so, yes it is expensive.

I got a call early this afternoon to say mapping was finished and all was good. Don't have all the details of the numbers yet but our guy was instructed to get some Pics/Video whilst the engine was doing its thing.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:48 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Here is a quick phone snap of the engine on the engine dyno. Its only warming up here, but you can already see the exhaust glowing red hot. Hope to have more soon:
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2010, 06:58 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

A pic of the new custom Motorsport loom. You can see one of the multiway connectors:
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Gandara
Pro

:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Wow that is too awesome
Old 11-27-2010, 02:36 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Thats only a small section of it, obviously...
Old 11-29-2010, 03:18 AM
mishpet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JamesE
Thats only a small section of it, obviously...
looking good james,what power did you start wth what were your goals and what have you ended up with,its obvious that it was a carefull process and an expensive one.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:29 AM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Thats actually a good question.

The previous engine was putting out 603bhp (corrected) at 1.2bar on the engine dyno. CTR who did the work turned that engine round in approx. 3 weeks. I was so impressed with their work I asked RC what he could do with less "restrictions".

We had a good long chat and talked about my enjoyment of good Project. To me messing about with cars is so much more than just driving them.

Having made good BHP with the previous engine, ultimate power was not my motivation for this new engine. It was really about 'what could you achieve with modern materials/techniques' on one of these old school engines. That is really where the expense has come; overcoming inherent design limitations of yesterdays engines...

Once you combine that with my love of "detail" things go wrong pretty quickly expense wise. However, every nook and cranny offers up something interesting to look at/talk about. If you ever have the opportunity to look over RCs race car you'll know where I got my ideas from: Its a self contained play ground for the mechanically curious...

What we hadn't planned on was this engine crying out for bigger turbos/cams/boost. The Turbos are currently running out of puff at 7k along with the Cams. The engine will take a chunk more boost too but the plenums would have to be changed to metal ones... I think we expected the original spec sheet to be close to the limit of what was sensible (whatever that means...). I'd say this engine is making its power at about 70% of its limit which is crazy.

Car should all be back together early this week, then back down to the body shop for a few little things like connecting up the electric mirrors (i had blanking plates/small loom made so I could easily remove the mirrors for top speed runs). Unfortunately the weather in the UK is pretty bad at the moment so no idea what driving it is going to be like...

Quick Reply: Flatnose progress