aribop
Race Car

Any updates?
Old 10-03-2010 | 04:42 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Yep. Lots going on but not much makes good photos. All plumbing is now complete. Engine been in and out a few times measuring things up. Brakes wont be upgraded beyond the 993tt items that are on there now, but will be at a later date.

Dyno booked, using JUDD again.

Will be complete by 15 Oct.
Old 10-03-2010 | 05:21 PM
dewael.eu
Advanced

Looking forward to it :-)
Will definitely be a kick *** porsche !!!
Old 10-09-2010 | 07:38 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

You're welcome:
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2010 | 05:23 AM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2010 | 06:20 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Look how tightly packed those cooling fins are....Secan quality! Magic is happening here chaps, this car is going to be mental....
I'm never getting in it james, i'm not joking
Old 10-11-2010 | 03:36 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

James, have you considered buiding some type of shroud that goes over the engine fan and seals to the underside of the intercooler? Something like Bello has done.
Or are you sealing the engine and intercooler so all the air is drawn through the cooler anyway?
Old 10-11-2010 | 05:10 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Cooler will be sealed against the engine cover. I don't think cooling is going to be an issue. When RC used these coolers he thought he had a sensor problem as temps weren't rising. No problem, just insane cooling from these coolers....
Old 10-16-2010 | 03:04 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Well, engine was on the Engine Dyno Thursday/Friday...... Good news and Bad news....

Good news is that it is now completely run in, and still in one peace. Oil cycled through Mineral and Synthetic. It ran on boost for over 2hrs under controlled conditions.

Bad news...... The silly expensive turbo scavenge pump isn't up to the job. One turbo got flooded (with oil). RC drove (halfway across the country) to pick up a new pair of turbos to carry on with the mapping. Unfortunately alterations didn't fix the problem and the turbos flooded again. The upside is we now know exactly what the problem is. We are going to run 2 motorsport scavenge pumps in series which should resolve the problem (and make me substantially poorer).

Dyno is closed this week; so engine is back with the car to be fitted again to allow various ancillaries to be connected up. We'll be back at the dyno beginning of next week.

The dyno operator has asked to be informed of when we are coming back as he has never seen an engine with such potential (from the running-in sessions). He commented that the torque being produced during the run-in was unbelievable.....

Im going up to RC's tomorrow to look at the engine and car. The car should now be complete, and it will be the first time I have seen it in such a state of completion.

Must remember not to get pissed tonight as I really want to enjoy tomorrow....
Old 10-17-2010 | 11:07 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Sounds mental james, what are the chances of getting some vid of it on the engine dyno? Would RC do this for you maybe?
Funny to hear about the dyno operator, like JUDD haven't seen some mega engines go through there for tuning

Old 10-17-2010 | 04:21 PM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Come on James, you must be back by now. Report and pics please.
Old 10-17-2010 | 04:40 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Got my wires slightly crossed. Paul still has the body as he is finishing various details off. He has found and fitted a "genuine" flatnose washer bottle. The original no longer fits with the flatnose. Porsche actually modified a Merc part. This is what we have sourced and fitted.

Had a good poke around the engine while RC was machining parts for the secondary scavenge pump. We have now decided to run these in parallel rather than the advised series.

Today was the first time I had seen the wiring loom. Amazing piece of work. The full motorsport job with a bloody big connector allowing 1 plug to be pulled to disconnect the whole engine. I bulked at the price originally and couldn't understand why it cost so much. Now I know. It would have taken me weeks to do it myself (not that I would have )...

Don't know what I'll do with myself once this project is finished....
Old 10-17-2010 | 05:10 PM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Thats a shame.

Whats the latest ETC?

As far as what your`ll do with yourself, I guess a lot of time will be spent trying to decide which car to drive. and once your figured that out, then your`ll probably spend the next few hours just looking at the beauty of the flat nose.
Old 10-17-2010 | 05:38 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Something like that

ETC 2 weeks (dyno is shut for a week).
Old 10-27-2010 | 05:10 AM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Car back on the dyno this week. Yesterday it ran up to 1.3bar on pump gas. After each run the cylinders are bore scoped and various inspection 'holes' examined. This engine is running a very new head sealing technology so very much proceeding with caution. Everything looks good, the bores are bedding in nicely and no signs of leaks or anything failing.

We had one problem that the boost wouldn't rise above 1.3bar. We suspect holes in the waste-gate diaphragm. We removed the boost control frequency to allow 'uncontrolled' boost to build to check the theory. Car ran up to 2bar boost with no problems. Waste-gates are being rebuilt this morning and then back to the dyno to give it the beans!

Quick Reply: Flatnose progress