My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 11:51 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
After looking at An endless number of charts, I decided to regear a six speed this winter instead of doing the 5 speed. No matter what ratios, the 5 speed always had a compromise to it. Not the case with the extra cog.
Exactly, way back in the beginning of this thread a friend of mine commented on the re-geared /20 he just put in his street 964, The original trans was pretty much worn out he got a great deal on a /20 re-geared similar to a /30. I haven't seen him so enthusiastic, This from a guy w/ a very nice Cup car for track days.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:38 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks Bill ...
Talking purely track car, on a short track you wonder if you really need 6 gears, it seams that it's one more gear to switch and you may lose the time ....
Old 12-26-2015, 09:31 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Part of the weight reduction plan arrived today.
Voltphreaks P6.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:19 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking forward to following this build, i love my '88 but still sorta wish i had gone with a 964 sometimes!

That is a pretty impressive battery, 10lbs lighter and 300+ more CCA than the PC680!
Old 12-27-2015, 10:40 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
The reason Spyrex is able to retain the parking brake w/ the hats is that the caliper he has are radial mount. This allows the caliper to be spaced out a bit more than on the 993RS rear 322mm rotors. The parking brake requires rotors in ~330mm. This is also done on Cayman, Boxster and 996, 997.

It could be done w/ 993RS if the calipers are converted to radial mount and a bigger rotor is used
like this

On left stock axial mount 993RS rear caliper, on right 993RS rear caliper converted to radial mount w/ caliper adaptor
That makes sense. I see no need for the Ebrake on my track car so I am set but I might have a lead on a 92 tub with blown engine might need to start street RS and this will come in handy.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Part of the weight reduction plan arrived today.
Voltphreaks P6.

My friend Frank just put this in his Cayman race car. You really are going full out.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
My friend Frank just put this in his Cayman race car. You really are going full out.
Despite the cost once you have ripped things out of the car a light battery is the cheapest "weight" you'll remove (on a porsche).

Not really going all out though, I'm not stripping the car to the bare chassis and seam welding it or fully repainting the car... I like the red and its mostly original paint (front bumper has been painted) so will do a paint correction on it to see if I can save it. Car looks good but so many surface scratches from a CA duster or dirty cover or dirty wash mitt. And I'm not a pro detailer...

Things I'm on the fence on, interested in thoughts from the peanut gallery:

--Wing, RS 3.8 wing or not? Easy to change, and seen this on some skinny cars and it looks cool. Thoughts?

--Cage. I will be welding in a proper rear cage for sure, tied to B pilar, rear deck, floor, etc. However, I'm on the fence to do the A pilar, headliner piece, cross bar on roof, etc. Why am I on the fence? Street safety, but the stock stuff isn't exactly well padded like on cars today... and I can wrap with proper padding. The problem with a welded cage is after it's installed you can't go back and fix it w/o cutting it out or removing the roof, you need to complete the welds. I can add door bars in the future, and I can add a knee bar in the future.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,635 Likes on 2,318 Posts

^ LMAO, not going all out...
right, for today.
i am waiting you to call me tmo to tell me you ripped the interior out
Old 12-27-2015, 08:00 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The decision to go full cage should, in my opinion, be driven by a full track build. Even padding is not sufficient for street use without a helmet.
How valuable is your head.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Mooty your opinion doesn't count. You started this mess.
Yes not a dedicated race or track car. Car will be canyons and de use. No race.
Will it ever become full race? That I'm not sure of.
Value of head? Depends who you ask lol
Old 12-27-2015, 08:47 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Things I'm on the fence on, interested in thoughts from the peanut gallery:

--Wing, RS 3.8 wing or not? Easy to change, and seen this on some skinny cars and it looks cool. Thoughts?

--Cage. I will be welding in a proper rear cage for sure, tied to B pilar, rear deck, floor, etc. However, I'm on the fence to do the A pilar, headliner piece, cross bar on roof, etc. Why am I on the fence? Street safety, but the stock stuff isn't exactly well padded like on cars today... and I can wrap with proper padding. The problem with a welded cage is after it's installed you can't go back and fix it w/o cutting it out or removing the roof, you need to complete the welds. I can add door bars in the future, and I can add a knee bar in the future.
The RS 3.8 wing is pretty efficient and worth it for high speed work, On my car the RS/CS vs RS spoiler was night and day on track, the RS 3.8 compared to the RSA will be similar. Get a c/f one for added lightness.

for de and street I just went w/ a welded in roll bar. The thought of all that steel even if padded that much closer to my helmetless head is scary. For a dedicated track, full cage
Old 12-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
That makes sense. I see no need for the Ebrake on my track car so I am set but I might have a lead on a 92 tub with blown engine might need to start street RS and this will come in handy.

I use the e brake for towing, saves wear on the trans.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:07 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Exactly, way back in the beginning of this thread a friend of mine commented on the re-geared /20 he just put in his street 964, The original trans was pretty much worn out he got a great deal on a /20 re-geared similar to a /30. I haven't seen him so enthusiastic, This from a guy w/ a very nice Cup car for track days.
Hey Bill,

Just saw this. And Yes!!! I've never been so enthusiastic about the car or about any mod I've done on any car---period!!! It completely transformed the car and feels like at least 50 HP was added. This is the way Porsche should have geared the car from the factory. I cannot believe the fun factor. The car just scoots. It does help that I've taken out a little weight (2770 lbs with a 1/4 tank of gas). I wish I would have performed this mod years ago....

Have a Happy 2016!!!

Mike
Old 12-27-2015, 10:39 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

I use the e brake for towing, saves wear on the trans.
Likewise. Neutral with ebrake on.

The RS 3.8 wing is pretty efficient and worth it for high speed work, On my car the RS/CS vs RS spoiler was night and day on track, the RS 3.8 compared to the RSA will be similar. Get a c/f one for added lightness.

for de and street I just went w/ a welded in roll bar. The thought of all that steel even if padded that much closer to my helmetless head is scary. For a dedicated track, full cage
My shop works with Getty quite a bit, and generally their parts fit well with minimal fitment issues (their exoerience), but all need some reworking. Especially their carbon bits.

Anyway, they make a wider 3.8 wing and a narrower one. My car is narrow body and most likely won't be going wide for a while. Any thoughts on which wing would look proportionally best?

Do you have a link to picture of your rear welded bar? I can send you my email if easier.

Originally Posted by K964
Just saw this. And Yes!!! I've never been so enthusiastic about the car or about any mod I've done on any car---period!!! It completely transformed the car and feels like at least 50 HP was added.
Ok who has leads on a tranny lol
Old 12-28-2015, 05:20 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm still without a rear wing because I stick to my Cup look. But the 3,8 wing does work, I've tried cars with it and in high speed corners and under heavy breaking it gives more grip.

But I do think it looks heavy on a narrow body so I'd try the narrow version from Getty. I have a carbon front lid from getty and it is very light and was just bolt on after paint.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:07 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
I'm still without a rear wing because I stick to my Cup look. But the 3,8 wing does work, I've tried cars with it and in high speed corners and under heavy breaking it gives more grip.

But I do think it looks heavy on a narrow body so I'd try the narrow version from Getty. I have a carbon front lid from getty and it is very light and was just bolt on after paint.
I agree that the narrower version would probably be best, or if that's too racy the RSA is somewhat less efficient but also less eye catching.

I have a carbon RSA tail on the steel deck lid of my '76 C3 and a carbon RS/CS tail on my 993. Both are from Getty and are nice light products that fit well w/ a great deal of work.

The bi wings come into their own at track speeds, on the street looks are going to be more important.

Quick Reply: My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread