Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 04:37 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a Wong chip in it, his custom tuning got another 10hp out of it and addressed some lean condition at higher revs, got consistently more power overall across the rev range, and addressed cold start and idle.
254 wheel on a dynojet with sae correction

How much/what is the Dynojet correction?
Old 09-20-2018, 12:12 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
I had a Wong chip in it, his custom tuning got another 10hp out of it and addressed some lean condition at higher revs, got consistently more power overall across the rev range, and addressed cold start and idle.
254 wheel on a dynojet with sae correction

How much/what is the Dynojet correction?
SAE correction. Most likely NOT much. As I live in SoCal, at sea level, it was mid 70's, maybe 10ft above sea level, maybe 40% humidity.

This is a standard here in US, as you know, near impossible to consider dyno to dyno. Dynojet is the most common dyno in the US, and used for sanctioned racing in most organizations, as the results can't be manipulated by the operator, and dyno to dyno the results are the same. Now, does 254 wheel compare to another brand? It will depend.

Another way to put it: on this dyno, with the mods I have, and the many, many cars Steve Wong has tuned, performed very well and as expected.

Regarding 300hp wheel with an ECU on this dyno configuration? Not sure about that, I think the intake, heads, injection will be limited. Based on known comparisons to engine dynos vs. dynojet, loss is about 12%, so that's about 289 crank. So I guess it's close with crank if that is what you meant.

Update: Just picked up the car. Wow, drives totally different. Super smooth idle, very linear and aggressive power delivery. Feels fantastic. Can't wait to rip it around the hills this weekend.

Last edited by Spyerx; 09-20-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:15 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

meaning crank sorry
Old 09-24-2018, 04:54 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

"meaning crank sorry"
Ah ok, not too far off from that now.

Did a few things this weekend:
--put over 500mi on the car the last 2 weeks, drove some canyons, it's FUN
--swapped all bulbs to LED - look good, less draw. I figured with the electric PS pump and the smallish battery less power draw is good thing
--Removed a bunch of unused relays and fuses from the fuse boxes, with stuff removed, no need
--I did the hot air cup-car mod for my airbox :-) Sounds awesome. And well, most use aggressive is moving, I don't drive in traffic or stop and go much
--Adjusted my gas pedal for better heel-toe action, have a rennline one on way, they are back ordered
--put some thin rubberized 'grip tape' on the driver side floor board, its nice. Won't destroy shoes like skateboard tape
--drove car very hard this weekend and well, I can confirm the secondary oil cooler works good.

Have a few to do:
--front end grip is massive, I may want to slow it down a bit, need time on track. either shock or sway bar adjustments
--I may want to dial in about 1mm more per side toe in, slow down the turn in and allow better control mid and corner exit. Toe out gives opposite, more aggressive turn in but less at mid/corner exit.
--I MAY have a bad brand new throw out bearing. UGH! When hot, in certain conditions, clutch press you can feel a slight knock. And, if I engage/release clutch several times it will go away. Shop is 95% sure it's the TOB. And yes, they've seen this happen before. FWIW, on my RS I had 2 brand new Porsche RS 4.0 pressure plates be defective. Its definitely not the engine, and definitely not the transmission.
--I need to check tires and tub/clearance. Front end is super tight, no rubbing I can hear, and no weird tire wear I can see, but need to get on a lift and make sure I'm clearances on the tires

Last edited by Spyerx; 09-24-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:25 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I MAY have a bad brand new throw out bearing. UGH! When hot, in certain conditions, clutch press you can feel a slight knock. And, if I engage/release clutch several times it will go away. Shop is 95% sure it's the TOB. And yes, they've seen this happen before. FWIW, on my RS I had 2 brand new Porsche RS 4.0 pressure plates be defective. Its definitely not the engine, and definitely not the transmission.
During any pedal movement or when fully depressed?
Old 09-24-2018, 05:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
During any pedal movement or when fully depressed?
Once it starts to engage and leverage/depress the TOB. There is no observable noise when the clutch is fully out. And it doesn't do it 100%, its like a certain loading condition causes it.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:58 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Seems rennline has a large back order on the pivot joints for the pedals for all models

Probably not for a while. After being in shop a year going to keep it close so i can drive it.

mooty can attest to this. Everything I’ve done was in the plan :-) is that still slippery slope? Lol
More like a controlled slide. I think I have your PDF someplace on the original build. I think some things were nixed and others added. Looks awesome.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:10 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Seems rennline has a large back order on the pivot joints for the pedals for all models
More like a controlled slide. I think I have your PDF someplace on the original build. I think some things were nixed and others added. Looks awesome.
Sunroof, power steering were not on the list originally. I’m sure a few other things. Some issues like fuel lines. Etc.

I should post the build list here. May scare children lol
Old 09-24-2018, 11:56 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,635 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt

More like a controlled slide. I think I have your PDF someplace on the original build. .
surely you jest. it's more like diving out plane with no parachute

I had his PDF list, that led me to sell my car.
I was scared.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:19 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,237 Posts

^^^ You only live once might as well enjoy yourself while you can.

My track car has become one of those one way airplane rides. Although building this new engine is a lot of fun. It seems as though everyday there is always something new to add to the list.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Played in the hills again today. Wife is a good passenger. Saw a nasty wreck. Group of exotics looks like maybe one crossed the middle line. Don’t drive like a hero on the street people...

Old 10-07-2018, 05:55 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Played in the hills again today. Wife is a good passenger. Saw a nasty wreck. Group of exotics looks like maybe one crossed the middle line. Don’t drive like a hero on the street people...

have u taught the lovely missus to heel and toe yet chris?

time to bring that red sled up here to norcal we do some hot rodded 964 double dates!!! was just asking mooty last night when u r coming up here next...
Old 10-14-2018, 10:13 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Had the car out at auto club speedway today. We lovingly call it fontucky.
Car is a total blast. Of course down in power compared to the new cars. On the roval it will see 140. New cars are 160. But had no issues hassling newer cars in the technical areas.
Braking fantastic, the guard diff is insane good, high speed stability great, turn in and grip all there.
Forgot how fun these things are at speed!!!

Old 11-21-2018, 10:28 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Dyno plot. This is not the final. Final had at 260 wheel. Torque not on this one but afr is.

Mods:
fresh 3.6 rebuild about 8k miles on it
993rs cams
light flywheel
993 coils
cup airbox
plugs etc are fresh
CA 91oct fuel
stock but clean injectors
rothsport 964 headers
991 center muffler
no cats
stock motronic
custom Steve Wong’s chip tune

Old 11-21-2018, 04:34 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Dyno plot. This is not the final. Final had at 260 wheel. Torque not on this one but afr is.

Mods:
fresh 3.6 rebuild about 8k miles on it
993rs cams
light flywheel
993 coils
cup airbox
plugs etc are fresh
CA 91oct fuel
stock but clean injectors
rothsport 964 headers
991 center muffler
no cats
stock motronic
custom Steve Wong’s chip tune

Looks good! did you happen to dyno before the mods?

Quick Reply: My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread